Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Run?
Unregistered 11:58 AM 01-31-2018
Back in September, I had a working interview at a daycare. It was only supposed to last about an hour or so, but I was there for about 2-1/2 hours.

When I arrived, I was introduced to owners, directors, and assistant directors, etc. When I left, there was someone at the front desk, but the management in charge of hiring had left for the day.

I'll admit, the fact that they left me in a classroom twice as long as they said they would, and then were gone by the time I got out annoyed me just a tad. Then, I heard absolutely nothing from them.

I just received a text from the director asking if I want to come in for a working interview. She has absolutely NO recollection of me being there in September.

This whole thing just gives me a bad vibe, so I'm not sure if I should waste the time/gas to go to another working interview at this place, or if I should pass. I've had so many bad jobs lately that I really don't want to get stuck in another.
AmyKidsCo 12:00 PM 01-31-2018
If you have a bad vibe, listen to it!

I don't understand the working interview thing - if they're not watching you how can they know what/how you're doing, and if they're watching you how could the person in charge of hiring leave while you're still there?

It doesn't sound like a good situation to me.
Cat Herder 12:02 PM 01-31-2018
It is possible there was an emergency or unusual circumstance that they did not tell you about back in September. I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt if you liked the environment otherwise. A working interview would be with the lead teacher. Sounds like she/he will have a lot of influence over their hiring decision.

Hopefully the last one (lead) did not trash your interview in September.
storybookending 12:02 PM 01-31-2018
I have never heard of a “working interview”. Can you elaborate? What I am imagining is you went in the stuck you in a classroom with a regular teacher and then left? Were they supposed to come back for you and forgot? Were you supposed to leave after an hour and come find them? No one was observing you during this time? They didn’t leave you alone with children did they?
Unregistered 12:06 PM 01-31-2018
A working interview is pretty standard practice in daycares around here.

Basically, the potential employee spends some time (no more than 2 hours typically) working in the classroom(s) the daycare is looking to fill a position in. Sometimes, that means working in one classroom;other times, it means spending a little time in multiple classrooms.

In the past, any working interview I've had that is longer than 2 hours has been a paid trial; most working interviews are unpaid trial periods.
Unregistered 12:18 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is possible there was an emergency or unusual circumstance that they did not tell you about back in September. I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt if you liked the environment otherwise. A working interview would be with the lead teacher. Sounds like she/he will have a lot of influence over their hiring decision.

Hopefully the last one (lead) did not trash your interview in September.
The working interview last time was with a girl who actually left the company (not sure if it was on her terms or not; I have heard about her work ethics at other daycares though- not good). I saw her working at a grocery store recently, and she actually told me that I lucked out.

I don't even think she was a lead teacher. If I remember right, she was actually someone who didn't WANT the responsibility of doing things like lesson plans. There was NOBODY there when I left who had any kind of say in hiring new teachers. I'm not sure how long I was working before everyone left, but you'd think one of the 4 people who have some authority on the staff/hiring process would be there while a stranger is in the school having a working interview- or at least, there'd be an apology/acknowledgement if something happened to prevent ANYONE from staying.
Cat Herder 12:21 PM 01-31-2018
I don't disagree with you. Only you know the entire circumstance. If you feel strongly it is a bad bet, trust your gut.
Unregistered 12:27 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have never heard of a “working interview”. Can you elaborate? What I am imagining is you went in the stuck you in a classroom with a regular teacher and then left? Were they supposed to come back for you and forgot? Were you supposed to leave after an hour and come find them? No one was observing you during this time? They didn’t leave you alone with children did they?
1. I was left in the classroom with one of the classroom teachers. For working interviews, I don't count towards ratio.

2.They were supposed to come back for me (or at least call me) after an hour or so to do a follow-up interview. This way, they can get my take on how I felt the interview went.

3. Typically, the directors, etc observe the working interviews on the cameras and combine that with a follow-up interview from the teacher(s) in the classroom.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:41 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
1. I was left in the classroom with one of the classroom teachers. For working interviews, I don't count towards ratio.

2.They were supposed to come back for me (or at least call me) after an hour or so to do a follow-up interview. This way, they can get my take on how I felt the interview went.

3. Typically, the directors, etc observe the working interviews on the cameras and combine that with a follow-up interview from the teacher(s) in the classroom.
Sounds to me like you already know the answer to your question.
storybookending 12:44 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Okay thanks for clarifying I was not familiar with this practice. I guess I echo what a PP said in trust your gut. If you feel something is off it probably is.
Tags:job interview
Reply Up