Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ending Interview! Please Help!
luckygirl99 08:06 AM 07-18-2018
I have in the past enrolled families that were not good fits at all. I felt it in the interview, but didn't know how to say it, so I would just hope they didn't sign up. I decided to stop doing that for they sake of my sanity and end the interview with "we have other parents interviewing and we will get back to you by such and such day". I went 3 months without enrolling a child because every family that was a good fit would never answer their phone or email. I figured it was because I scared them off ending the interview with that statement, so I stopped saying it and had both spots filled within a week. Does anyone else have any issues when saying something to that effect at the end of an interview?
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by luckygirl99:
I have in the past enrolled families that were not good fits at all. I felt it in the interview, but didn't know how to say it, so I would just hope they didn't sign up. I decided to stop doing that for they sake of my sanity and end the interview with "we have other parents interviewing and we will get back to you by such and such day". I went 3 months without enrolling a child because every family that was a good fit would never answer their phone or email. I figured it was because I scared them off ending the interview with that statement, so I stopped saying it and had both spots filled within a week. Does anyone else have any issues when saying something to that effect at the end of an interview?
I would never sign a family on without 3 days waiting period for both parties. I want parents to think about it too so they know they are making the right choice.

I always end the interview by saying I will contact them by X date and let them know if they will be offered the spot.

I word it too so that they know it's MY choice to offer the spot or not and ONLY becomes their choice to accept or decline IF offered the spot.
Homebody 10:49 AM 07-18-2018
Yes, I was doing that this past spring and only filled one spot. Then in June I had two interviews that felt like good fits and I just told them "to think it over". After a couple days I just messaged them and said that it was nice meeting them and that if they were still interested to let me know as I had other people wanting to interview (which was true), but I wanted to offer them the spot first before interviewing more people. Both families signed on and I started them this month, and filled my remaining spots. In the future I will only use the "we are still conducting interviews and will get back with you"if I'm not sure about them or don't think they are a good fit.
amberrose3dg 11:30 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by luckygirl99:
I only mention the other interviews if i do not think they are a good fit.
Michael 12:44 PM 07-18-2018
Here’s some more threads on How to End an Interview: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+how+to+end+it
Snowmom 08:19 AM 07-19-2018
I try to weed out the ones that won't fit in well before the interview.

I usually schedule interviews Mon-Wed. After touring, I like to say "Let's touch base on Friday."

If I come with any other questions, I email Thursdays. Fridays, I usually offer the spot and say the enrollment fee is due on Monday and I'll have a packet waiting for them when they drop it off.

If I don't feel like they are a good fit and didn't weed them out before interviewing, I don't have an issue concluding the interview saying so. "It was really nice meeting you. I think Joey may excel better in a different environment than what I have to offer. I can suggest a few places if you like."
If they ask why, I just reiterate that I like to make the right choice for my entire group, not just me. There are many factors that I take into consideration along with how your schedule fits in with mine and the families I already have enrolled.
Ariana 02:32 PM 07-19-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I only mention the other interviews if i do not think they are a good fit.
Me too! That is my go to answer for anyone I do not want to give the spot to. Another is to say “ok I will email you my policy handbook when I get a chance” and then just never do it. I used to be so much more PC and upfront but after the way some people have treated me I don’t bother anymore!

The last lady that interviewed didn’t even bring her kids with her. Then she talked a mile a minute and I could not get a word in edge wise. Finally at the end she mentioned her daughter was premature and had breathing problems. Ummm nope.
tenderhearts 03:43 PM 07-19-2018
Whenever I'm doing an interview I always tell them that either I am still interviewing or I have just completed interviewing and that I will make a decision by such and such date with my decision of the best fit for my group. I have never had an issue. I do follow up with an email after the interview, that evening or next morning with just thanking them for coming and nice meeting them ect ect with again saying I'll let you know my decision by the date I told them.
Meeko 06:42 AM 07-20-2018
Interesting thread.

When I recently replied to a post that I always use the "will let you know..I'm still interviewing"...I was told it was wrong to do and I was called unprofessional and a liar and that the parents should be told in no uncertain terms exactly why they weren't being chosen.
Snowmom 06:55 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Interesting thread.

When I recently replied to a post that I always use the "will let you know..I'm still interviewing"...I was told it was wrong to do and I was called unprofessional and a liar and that the parents should be told in no uncertain terms exactly why they weren't being chosen.
Just out of curiosity, was that here or somewhere else?

Personally, I have no problem saying "no" to people and likewise, don't care if people say "no" to me. But, I know lots of people have a problem saying someone's an ass and calling them out on it. Hurt egos and all that.
Plus, I think many providers are afraid of licensing and if they insult anyone's fragile ego in this business, to be prepared for a retaliation DHS visit.

I don't think anything is wrong in simply leaving it at "I'm still interviewing" because, likely we are (or at least hoping for more interviews to be scheduled before making up our mind). But I think it can backfire on people who publicly advertise.
Meeko 08:51 AM 07-20-2018
It was here.
Ariana 10:26 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Interesting thread.

I think there were good points made for both sides of it. I think in all matters of business complete truth is not always the best policy. Others see it differently. As long as you are polite then I don’t see how it matters. I feel that being completely honest with nutjobs has a potential to hurt your business and unfortunately in this job we don’t always fully know who we are interviewing. Saying a polite “space has been filled thank you” is best for everyone in my opinion and not unprofessional at all.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Just out of curiosity, was that here or somewhere else?
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...656#post678656
luckygirl99 08:19 AM 07-25-2018
I appreciate all of your great advice. It really helped a lot. How do you reply back to them. Do you call if you except them and leave a message if they do not answer and then email them if you are not interested? Also, if you are excepting them and have to leave a message, do you tell them that they have a certain amount of time to respond before you offer the spot to the next person? Thank you all very much.
Tags:ending interview, interview, interview - how to end it, not a good fit, tour
Reply Up