Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Proper Attire for Children at Day Care
Unregistered 06:37 AM 01-29-2010
Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum requirement that day care facilities must adhere to when considering the clothes a child, approximately 10 months old, must wear to school? My child attends day care and there is one child in the class that is almost always dressed in nothing buy a onesie. The poor baby's leggs are ice cold and his diaper is hanging out of the onsie. In my opinion this is both cruel and unsanitary. Cruel because he is crawling all of the floor and his poor little knees look like ground beef at the end of the day, and unsanitary because urine or feces could leak out and contaminate the floor my child is playing on. I approached the director and she told me that there is nothing they can do. She said they are not allowed to require a minimum dress code. I find this apalling. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Veronica 05:22 PM 01-29-2010
Schol can I wonder why they cant also where do you live the parnts bring this child to chool and it is cold outside right.
Carole's Daycare 06:08 PM 01-29-2010
Agreed, if the weather is cold and the dress is inappropriate for the weather the daycare can and should inform the parents that it is reportable to DSS as neglect. Certainly they can try to be nice first and at least tell them "Johnny seems pretty cold, and his knees are raw. Can you bring him in an outfit or at least with pants from now on?" If they do not respond, let them know other parents are concerned about the safety and well being of the child, and a report to DSS will have to be made if he is not dressed appropriately.
My contract has a dress code in it requiring clean, comfortable clothes appropriate for the weather and daily play activities.
misol 06:21 PM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
Agreed, if the weather is cold and the dress is inappropriate for the weather the daycare can and should inform the parents that it is reportable to DSS as neglect. Certainly they can try to be nice first and at least tell them "Johnny seems pretty cold, and his knees are raw. Can you bring him in an outfit or at least with pants from now on?" If they do not respond, let them know other parents are concerned about the safety and well being of the child, and a report to DSS will have to be made if he is not dressed appropriately.
My contract has a dress code in it requiring clean, comfortable clothes appropriate for the weather and daily play activities.
I also have the same dress code in my policies. I get sick of parents dropping off in the dead of winter with no coat or no socks and shoes. Granted, we aren't going outside to play but we still have to practice fire drills in the winter!

To the original poster - I am not sure why the baby's knees are raw??? Babies have been crawling on bare knees since the beginning of time and I've never heard of anything like this. Do any of the other babies have this problem in the summertime when they are all wearing shorts? Is there a special kind of flooring at this center?
Persephone 08:06 PM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
To the original poster - I am not sure why the baby's knees are raw??? Babies have been crawling on bare knees since the beginning of time and I've never heard of anything like this. Do any of the other babies have this problem in the summertime when they are all wearing shorts? Is there a special kind of flooring at this center?
I was thinking the same thing.

But I also agree that the caregivers in the room should just tell the parents that little johnny is cold and needs to wear pants.
Tags:attire, clothes, dress code, policies
Reply Up