Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle Persistent Callers When You Have No Openings?
MarinaVanessa 01:57 PM 02-23-2011
I haven't had this come up until now and didn't know how to respond to a caller that I had.

I had a caller that was inquiring about my daycare. I started by introducing myself like I always do and said that I was a family daycare home and that I had no openings at the moment. The woman said "Yes, but I was just calling for information about your daycare". I gave a very brief overview of my daycare like my general location, hours, FT and PT definitions, that parents provide formula, infant cereal, diapers and wipes and tha I provided the rest including meals. Then I told her that my next available opening would be in August and I offered to take her information and add her to my waiting list and that I could e-mail her my website address for more information. All she did was respond with "Yes, I saw the website but I wanted to call and get more information and tour your daycare" ???

Is it customary to give tours and interviews this much in advance? Like I said I have never had this situation come up. I didn't want to give an interview because I feel it's not necessary for me at the moment since I'm not looking for another client anytime soon and honestly like a waste of her time and mine. Also I have all of my information on the website so why need to call to ask for more info? I dunno, WWUD?
Crystal 02:01 PM 02-23-2011
I think alot of providers would not tour/interview. However I would. This is how you build a waitlist. What if a family suddently bails on you and you are stuck with an open space or two while you advertise and hope to get a client? If you build a waitlist, you can call and let them know you have a space for them. Also, I have actually enrolled families expecting babies several months in advance, knowing I would have space coming up when a child moves onto school. The new family provides a non-refundable deposit equal to one weeks fee, and this does NOT go towards their first week of care. It is a good-faith deposit and a holding fee.
snbauser 02:08 PM 02-23-2011
I always advise those that are interested to come by and meet me and tour our facility. Then if they are still interested I am happy to take their information and add them to the waiting list, especially if they are interested in a future date. In this economy you never know when a parent is going to show up for pick up and tell you they got laid off. Also, around here, quality programs fill fast so if they are looking for a future date, they want to get in early. And like Crystal said, if you know you are going to have an opening you can even take a deposit to secure the spot and save yourself time later on.
Little People 02:45 PM 02-23-2011
I let them come for a 30 minute interview. I They may end up going somewhere else if I can't take them but they could tell a friend, co-worker or a relative about me. This gives my daycare word of mouth
jen 03:27 PM 02-23-2011
Are you sure it is a parent and not another provider looking to check out your space?
melissa ann 03:44 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Are you sure it is a parent and not another provider looking to check out your space?
That's the first thing that came to my mind.
littlesunshinesdaycare 03:51 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I thought it may be another provider too.
missnikki 04:15 PM 02-23-2011
I figure it's another provider too. Did they tell you any details about the children they needed care for?
teamrahman 07:25 PM 02-23-2011
That sounds like a good problem to have overall. Makes me wonder if you have networks and connections with other daycares that may be interested in conversing with that individual. Here in louisville ky we have a website that I use to see who is trending upward when we have no spots available.

ours is daycaresinlouisvilleky-louisvillepreschools I am sure you may have something similar.
Reply Up