Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Omg...
KAWISTA9 03:08 PM 12-10-2011
I was wondering why I have not had much business...looks like it is about to start booming on the Westbank of New Orleans after this...

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...tered_aft.html

KEG123 03:17 PM 12-10-2011
Omg is exactly what I said after reading the first sentence. And the picture?! Wowoooo!
C'est la vie. 04:19 PM 12-10-2011
I can't believe people could do that! That's so unethical. That's awful, I really do feel strongly that there should be criminal charges.
Michael 05:19 PM 12-10-2011
I see what you mean. This provider was housing all of the potential clients.
SilverSabre25 06:16 PM 12-10-2011
omg, I can't believe that! 40 kids?! How did they keep their names straight?!
Meeko 07:17 PM 12-10-2011
Wow! I have to say shame on the state for taking so long to close this place down. I am going to assume that these women were charging crazy cheap rates and so parents were closing their eyes to so many children. I know the article says the kids were moved before the doors were opened...but they couldn't keep THAT many kids quiet!

So glad they are out of business. Shameful.
Michelle 08:22 PM 12-10-2011
I see in the picture that they all were sleeping with their shoes on.... I guess the two women couldn't handle keeping 80 shoes and socks straight... I have a hard time with the 8 littles I have and their socks!

I am so glad that they are shut down, they must have been so good at talking with parents to get away with that! They probably had a script" Little Johnny colored today and shared well, ate all his homemade food, and is a joy to have here" They just said that over and over with 40 different names....jeez
What did they feed them?
MamaBear 08:52 PM 12-10-2011
Thats awful! She must have been making a whole lot of money doing that before she got caught! If she had my full time rate of $160 x 40 kids... that would be about $6400 a week! Crazy!
I get overwhelmed with 8 kids here ... how would it be with 40? INSANE!
youretooloud 09:07 PM 12-10-2011
At first, I was thinking "sleeping in closets isn't so bad", then I noticed they didn't have mats or cots, or even a towel! The one boy has a mat, but no sheet.

Two babies to a crib? HOW on earth did they get 40 kids to fall asleep like that? In those positions?

If my child were one of those kids, i'd want him or her tested to see if she were drugged to fall asleep.

Weren't they all so little and adorable though???
Oneluckymom 09:36 PM 12-10-2011
That is unbelievable!! How did they hide that many kids? And how did they make them sleep like that. Didn't they feel horrible that the kids had no pillow, blanket, or mat to sleep on? Surely they had the money to buy mats!
frgsonmysox 09:43 PM 12-10-2011
my husbands first reaction was, "Man! How'd she get 40 kids all to sleep at the same time! We need tips from her" lol.

Seriously, though, that is sickening. How can 2 people care for 40 kids by themselves. I know the article said they weren't abused, but neglect is a form of abuse and I can't imagine they weren't neglected. How do you even fit 40 kids into your home comfortably? I have 4 of my own and when I babysit for my friends and add 3 more kids in the mix my home feels packed
Meyou 03:05 AM 12-11-2011
I don't even know what to say. I'm just shocked.
Sunchimes 05:18 AM 12-11-2011
I can't get past the fact that they have known about these women since 2003 and yet they weren't constantly checking on them. How many chances do they get? I'm not as concerned about them not having mats, kids have survived far worse through history, but everyone asleep or still is scary. As youretooloud said, I'd be worried about drugs or even wonder what kind of threats they made to get them still.

Sad, sad.
countrymom 05:47 AM 12-11-2011
alot of those children look older, didn't any parent ask what was going on during the day to their kid, like what did they do or ate. I find it odd that not one parent knew what was going on. That proves how little parents care when it comes to care of their children. Didn't parents hang around and talk for a while (like mine do) Didn't any of the parents just show up to pick their kids up, surprise visits, I don't know, I do blame some of this on parents.
PitterPatter 05:52 AM 12-11-2011
So sad to see the kids scattered on the floor like that! That can not be comfortable. They are all so close too. They had to kick each other. Sad! Not to mention theres no way she got all those kids to go to sleep at the same time, naturally anyway.

AND what was she feeding them? 40 kids you would need a commercial freezer at least! Not to mention a walk in pantry for all the other food, veggies etc. I doubt she was feeding them properly.

She had to make a fortune all at the expense of kids.
Michelle 07:26 AM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
So sad to see the kids scattered on the floor like that! That can not be comfortable. They are all so close too. They had to kick each other. Sad! Not to mention theres no way she got all those kids to go to sleep at the same time, naturally anyway.

AND what was she feeding them? 40 kids you would need a commercial freezer at least! Not to mention a walk in pantry for all the other food, veggies etc. I doubt she was feeding them properly.

She had to make a fortune all at the expense of kids.
she probably was feeding them top ramin and potatoes... cheap and filling
The reason why I say this is because they obviously don't spend money on supplies, mats, blankets, etc. so why would they buy fruits and veggies?
who knows?
Michelle 07:30 AM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Thats awful! She must have been making a whole lot of money doing that before she got caught! If she had my full time rate of $160 x 40 kids... that would be about $6400 a week! Crazy!
I get overwhelmed with 8 kids here ... how would it be with 40? INSANE!
and $307, 200.00 per year!
greenhouse 04:01 PM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I can't get past the fact that they have known about these women since 2003 and yet they weren't constantly checking on them. How many chances do they get? I'm not as concerned about them not having mats, kids have survived far worse through history, but everyone asleep or still is scary. As youretooloud said, I'd be worried about drugs or even wonder what kind of threats they made to get them still.

Sad, sad.
Yes!! Why did this woman continue to succeed at this since 2003!!
busymommy0420 05:01 PM 12-11-2011
How did the parents not know? When I have parents interview i give the, a tour...didn't anyone ask for a tour??? YIKES. I have 8 kiddos and that is the perfect number.
PitterPatter 05:36 PM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
How did the parents not know? When I have parents interview i give the, a tour...didn't anyone ask for a tour??? YIKES. I have 8 kiddos and that is the perfect number.
Yeah I was thinking about that too! Even if they had a tour after hours (thats how I do it, no potential clients during hours) How did the parents not hear the rustling, laughter, playing, even screaming from another room? I would be having my child checked for drugs if they attended there. She had to be keeping them quiet somehow!
Michelle 08:36 AM 12-12-2011
Um... Yo Gabba Gabba has an anesthesia affect on kids
but they were probably drugged
Meeko 02:02 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Um... Yo Gabba Gabba has an anesthesia affect on kids
but they were probably drugged

I'm still not sure why they didn't get REGULAR surprise visits from the state. The fact it took so long to close them down is pathetic.

They couldn't let that many kids outside without raising suspicion, so I don't understand how parents could not know what was going on. My kids would go insane if they couldn't go outside!

Then again.....my best guess is that parents were offered prices cheaper than anywhere else and that's why they were so full and nobody said anything. Money. Sickening.

Sorry...meant to post this as a general comment, not a reply!
CheekyChick 02:10 PM 12-12-2011
Those poor babies... Our preschoolers sleep on a cot with their teddy bear, a pillow, a cozy blanket under them, and a cozy blanket on the top of them. That is barbaric to have little ones sleeping on a cold hard floor. Shame on them!
Michelle 03:32 PM 12-12-2011
I think there was carpet..(grey) and I saw 2 mats for 14 children in that room.

They probably live in a very poor neighborhood...so parents were either unaware or just too poor to be able to pay for better childcare.

The op would probably be able to tell us what kind of neighborhood it is.

And I know most of us don't have alot of money for supplies and we have mats/cots.. theres no excuse
PitterPatter 03:52 PM 12-12-2011
Yep face down on the dirty floor. I say dirty because obviously 40 kids running wround with shoes on... something is in that carpet! She could have at least spead a large sheet out for them to lay on and cut 1 up for each child if she is poor. ... Wait, poor hell she could afford it I'm sure!
Hunni Bee 05:36 PM 12-12-2011
I think there was carpet..(grey) and I saw 2 mats for 14 children in that room.

They probably live in a very poor neighborhood...so parents were either unaware or just too poor to be able to pay for better childcare.

The op would probably be able to tell us what kind of neighborhood it is.

And I know most of us don't have alot of money for supplies and we have mats/cots.. theres no excuse
I wonder, did any of them think, what if this were my child? What if someone had my baby sleeping on the floor, 3 inches away from another child's feet, or coughing mouth, or gassy butt, in a tiny bedroom with 20+ other kids? What did the bathroom look like? Where did they eat? On the floor?? Even if they fed them in shifts, as many as ten at the table once, lunch still would've taken 2 or more hours and I doubt they did it that way.

And as much as I want to say "why would a parent drop off their child in a place they've never seen?"...I know there are parents that would do this....because I have a 4yo in my room, who's been there over a month, who's mother I've never seen. She's never been to the Center. She found us through DSS, she signed up with us through them, and just sent her kids on their first day on the van. I could be keeping her daughter in a closet for all she knows...

I understand everyone has to make money, but come on. A red light had to have been flashing in each one of the adults involved minds...
Michelle 05:59 PM 12-12-2011
I just googled the article and found another one that said these women opened up another daycare 10 blocks away today.
They said that authorities inspected them and they were within their legal right to operate. They said they are allowed to have under 6 kids that are not related to them.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ens_10_bl.html
Heidi 11:20 AM 12-13-2011
I just googled the article and found another one that said these women opened up another daycare 10 blocks away today.
They said that authorities inspected them and they were within their legal right to operate. They said they are allowed to have under 6 kids that are not related to them.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ens_10_bl.html
I am certain that here in WI the state would have done whatever it takes to make them cease care immediately.

What I want to know is, what 5 families are now taking their children to their new daycare? huh?
KEG123 11:49 AM 12-13-2011
They should NOT be allowed to reopen!!! ughhh!
Tags:bad providers, child warehousing, ratio - over limit
Reply Up