Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Hired My First Assistant!
ihop 04:44 PM 02-05-2014
Im so excited. She my age, nursing student available two days a week. Doesn't want much money, reliable transportation, cpr, criminal check, super smart and loves to clean.

Anyhow... she is coming to train Friday.... what would you experts say are the most important things to stress/teach to your assistant/subs.
hope 04:54 PM 02-05-2014
Safety first. Go over baby gates, pnp's, medical and contact info, all worst case scenarios. When I start an assistant I don't want them focusing on playing or teaching the children. They get too caught up in trying to impress me with how comfortable they are with the kids.
I want to know that no matter what happens they can think on their feet and the kids will be safe. So have the kids play and ask you for things and thee assistant should shadow you while you talk over and explain safety.
Congrats on the assistant!!!!! My business and family life has transformed since I decided to have help. It is worth every penny!
MCC 05:38 PM 02-05-2014
I agree with Hope completely. Make sure she knows not to leave a crawling baby next to a non-crawling baby, not walk about from the changing table, cut food into appropriate sizes, put babies to sleep properly etc.

Now that my assistant is comfortable and I'm comfortable with her, I have her do a lot of the hands on things, while I focus on the "business" side of this, as we all know that is so time consuming! Having an assistant has really turned this into a whole new world for me. I am DONE with work exactly at closing time, b/c she does all the trash, cleaning, vacuuming, while I get the kids ready for pick ups. After PM snack, I go upstairs and do all the dishes for the day, and make our family dinner, then go back down for 30 minutes before pick ups. It is amazing.

Congrats on finding a good fit! That was hard for me! I wish you the best of luck with her!
Lucy 05:52 PM 02-05-2014
How much do assistants typically make? Yours is 2 days a week... is she paid per day, or is it a flat weekly/monthly salary? I've always been curious about that.
Cradle2crayons 05:58 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
Im so excited. She my age, nursing student available two days a week. Doesn't want much money, reliable transportation, cpr, criminal check, super smart and loves to clean.

Anyhow... she is coming to train Friday.... what would you experts say are the most important things to stress/teach to your assistant/subs.
DEFINATELY all safety related. Correct diaper changing. Hand washing. Your policies and contract rules. State rules if you are licensed. Singing in and out, if you do that. Safe to sleep practices. Proper food handling practices. When and how to contact parents. Privacy rules. Supervision standards. Proper infant feeding. Nutrition. Oh gosh here's tons lol.

It really all depends on what her actual responsibilities are going to be.

I think this summer I'm going to hire a teenage assistant sort of. Basically to assist but never be alone. We are so busy in the summer and I have the perfect one in mind. Still have some thoughts to work out on it. I only have five daycare kids and my two, but my daughter is very busy in the summer and I'm pretty sure her bestie will also be with us this summer also but she isn't daycare or a paid child lol. And it's easier because I've know this young lady her whole life and grew up with both of her parents and my parents know her grandparents etc.
ihop 07:50 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
How much do assistants typically make? Yours is 2 days a week... is she paid per day, or is it a flat weekly/monthly salary? I've always been curious about that.
I am doing hourly. Min wage is $9.10/hour. Im paying her $10/hour. I'd prefer to pay min wage for assisting and ten an hour for substituting but I opened my mouth too soon but I think she's worth it. Plus I plan on having her clean the things I don't like to clean.
Lucy 07:56 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I am doing hourly. Min wage is $9.10/hour. Im paying her $10/hour. I'd prefer to pay min wage for assisting and ten an hour for substituting but I opened my mouth too soon but I think she's worth it. Plus I plan on having her clean the things I don't like to clean.
Ok, sounds fair. I thought about having my niece help me this summer 2-3 days a week for about 4 hrs/day. I thought about offering $40 a day for the 4 hours she'd be here. She'll be 18 at the end of summer. I won't leave her with the kids, but she can do lots of stuff I hate doing!!
Christina72684 01:56 PM 02-06-2014
Make sure whatever you want her to do and expect from her, you show her right away. We are so bad about that with our employees. I usually have them sit back and watch the first day to see our routines, but then wonder why they aren't putting forth an effort to help. My bad lol Oh and give them all the crappy jobs you don't want to do

#1 Rule: Remember, they are your employee, not your friend. You can tell them what to do and expect them to do it because you are paying them to be there. (I am HORRIBLE about this sometimes!)
ihop 02:03 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Make sure whatever you want her to do and expect from her, you show her right away. We are so bad about that with our employees. I usually have them sit back and watch the first day to see our routines, but then wonder why they aren't putting forth an effort to help. My bad lol Oh and give them all the crappy jobs you don't want to do

#1 Rule: Remember, they are your employee, not your friend. You can tell them what to do and expect them to do it because you are paying them to be there. (I am HORRIBLE about this sometimes!)
Haha she is my friend

IM sure it'll bite me later but whatever
Tags:assistant, new hire, training
Reply Up