Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dip for Veggies
mamamanda 12:32 PM 06-15-2014
My dck love fresh veggies for snack, but I always serve them with ranch dip or peanut butter. What kind of dips do you use to spice things up? I have 2 kids that are extremely underweight so serving the veggies plain isn't really an option for us. We have to boost calories per Dr.s orders, but I want to keep it healthy & I'm getting bored with ranch. Thanks!
Leanna 12:41 PM 06-15-2014
Mine looooove hummus.

You could also try salsa, cheese dip (homemade would be healthier), and/or a yogurt dip.

HTH!
NeedaVaca 12:47 PM 06-15-2014
I 2nd the hummus! All of my kids gobble it up!
SignMeUp 12:48 PM 06-15-2014
Cottage cheese dip
1 (8 oz.) container cottage cheese cheese
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. onion salt OR 1 tsp. garlic powder OR 1 Tbsp chili sauce

Combine cottage cheese, milk and your favorite seasonings in a blender. Refrigerate for several hours to blend flavors.

Some people add 1/2 pkg. dry soup mix OR 1 small pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix but I don't like the added sodium.

Peanut butter - yogurt dip

1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. orange juice concentrate
Mix together in a medium bowl. Serve with fresh fruit, pretzels or crackers.
Tastes great with apple slices

I sometimes don't add the o.j. Just p.b. and yogurt works too. I may add a touch more yogurt when I do this.
Go play! 12:59 PM 06-15-2014
I have done greek yogurt, honey and mustard to make a honey mustard dip.
daycarediva 01:55 PM 06-15-2014
Fruit/yogurt dip (fruit blended with plain yogurt), cottage cheese, hummus, chunky peanut butter, Italian dip (plain yogurt or sour cream with Italian dressing mix), cream cheese & fruit (blended in blender)

are some of my dck's favs. On our menu I put whatever veggie and dip, then ask the kids what the would like.
debbiedoeszip 02:03 PM 06-15-2014
You could try bean dip. Equal parts refried beans, salsa, and grated cheddar cheese. Mix all together, then heat in the microwave, one minute at a time, stirring well after each minute, until it's warm and gooey. Serve with veggie sticks.
Unregistered 03:14 PM 06-15-2014
To get away from all the additives in store bought ranch dressing I use sour cream and Simply Organic dry ranch seasoning. The pkg says to use mayo, but I'm getting away from store bought concoctions.

Everyone had great ideas!
Josiegirl 04:28 PM 06-15-2014
Hummus is our favorite too. All but 1 dck loves it.
mamamanda 04:30 PM 06-15-2014
I am loving all of these ideas! Thank you so much! I have mixed pb with honey before but it had never occurred to me to mix yogurt with it. So many things I would never have thought of. Can't wait to try the bean dip idea. Also, my dck love cottage cheese but I never thought to make a dip w/it. We are going to have some fun new alternatives over the next few weeks!
mamamanda 04:32 PM 06-15-2014
Don't know that I've ever had hummus. Where would I look for that in the grocery store?
SignMeUp 04:36 PM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Don't know that I've ever had hummus. Where would I look for that in the grocery store?
Try the deli area - it's refrigerated. You can also make it homemade - lots of recipes online. Or maybe someone here has a good one.
SignMeUp 04:40 PM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I am loving all of these ideas! Thank you so much! I have mixed pb with honey before but it had never occurred to me to mix yogurt with it. So many things I would never have thought of. Can't wait to try the bean dip idea. Also, my dck love cottage cheese but I never thought to make a dip w/it. We are going to have some fun new alternatives over the next few weeks!
I thought the yogurt/p.b. sounded awful but it was really good on apple slices It is a recipe from my FP. It tastes like Lite Peanut Butter

The blended cottage cheese I have done for decades. It's kind of a more-nutritious-than-sour-cream dip Flavor it any way you like. And if you have a hard time adjusting to it -- mix it with equal amount of sour cream (or lite sour cream) at first, and then downsize the amount of sour cream each time.
It doesn't need salty spices in it -- in fact, I think that recipe showed onion salt but I use onion powder. I don't think it needs the additional saltiness like sour cream recipes have.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:36 PM 06-15-2014
We often use peanut butter mixed with coconut milk.

So funny that everyone says their kids love hummus. When I had all 2-and-unders, they loved it. Now my kids are 2-5 and not one of them will touch it.
CraftyMom 07:38 PM 06-15-2014
Last week we were out of ranch dip so I grabbed the thousand island dressing...they LOVED it!
Mister Sir Husband 08:46 PM 06-15-2014
knorr-vegetable-soup-1-4-oz-.jpg. My wife loves this... Mix packet with sour cream
Attached:
Meyou 02:08 AM 06-16-2014
My kids eat hummus almost every day. I just buy the big tubs at Costco but I do make it sometimes.
pandamom 02:56 AM 06-16-2014
homemade guacamole is great for a veggie dip. Avacados have good fat in it too which is great for your underweight kids
Meyou 06:24 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by pandamom:
homemade guacamole is great for a veggie dip. Avacados have good fat in it too which is great for your underweight kids
Yes! I totally forgot about guac. We eat that alot too.
Reply Up