Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Employee Question- What is Reasonable
daycare 01:07 PM 05-22-2015
So I have 4 asst.

1 is my add director, she makes lots of decisions with me about staff and daycare stuff

the other 3 are helpers, daycare assts.

Well I have been having some issues with 2 of the 3 helpers all of a sudden asking for days off. I do require a 2 week advance notice, but do understand it's not always possible.

i have been allowing it as long as they find someone to cover their shift.

I have one girl who has been out almost all of April and most of May. I am paying more in payroll and insurance than I am getting work out of her, it's not worth it to even keep her on.

How much time off do you feel is reasonable?

I don't have anything about accruing hours for time off, because it's unpaid time off.
AuntTami 01:53 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I have 4 asst.

1 is my add director, she makes lots of decisions with me about staff and daycare stuff

the other 3 are helpers, daycare assts.

Well I have been having some issues with 2 of the 3 helpers all of a sudden asking for days off. I do require a 2 week advance notice, but do understand it's not always possible.

i have been allowing it as long as they find someone to cover their shift.

I have one girl who has been out almost all of April and most of May. I am paying more in payroll and insurance than I am getting work out of her, it's not worth it to even keep her on.

How much time off do you feel is reasonable?

I don't have anything about accruing hours for time off, because it's unpaid time off.
I think that's completely unreasonable and unfair to you for her to have been gone that long. I think two weeks per year is probably plenty. But that's me lol
Silly Songs 02:08 PM 05-22-2015
Has she been sick , in school or having some family emergency ? I guess it would depend on why she was out .
daycare 02:44 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I think that's completely unreasonable and unfair to you for her to have been gone that long. I think two weeks per year is probably plenty. But that's me lol
thanks, i am starting to feel that she just does not want to work here.

I don't know why she has needed these days off to be honest with you, but why commit to taking a job if you are not going to be able to work the days scheduled to work.

She was told from day one that I need her to be here on the days she is scheduled to work, I don't usually have another employee that can work those hours so the program suffers when you miss days.

I guess maybe i am just old school thinking. DOn't take a job if you can't work the schedule you are asked to work.
AuntTami 02:53 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks, i am starting to feel that she just does not want to work here.

I don't know why she has needed these days off to be honest with you, but why commit to taking a job if you are not going to be able to work the days scheduled to work.

She was told from day one that I need her to be here on the days she is scheduled to work, I don't usually have another employee that can work those hours so the program suffers when you miss days.

I guess maybe i am just old school thinking. DOn't take a job if you can't work the schedule you are asked to work.
That's how I operate too! If I can't commit I don't take the job.

If it was school or a family emergency, I would think she would have told you about those things. Obviously emergencies happen and no one can control that, but if it's something like that, you need to be made aware so that THIS doesn't happen. I would ask her why she's gone so much and depending on her reason, tell her your seeking out a replacement for it as it seems what you need her to do; she's not able to commit to.
daycare 02:57 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
That's how I operate too! If I can't commit I don't take the job.

If it was school or a family emergency, I would think she would have told you about those things. Obviously emergencies happen and no one can control that, but if it's something like that, you need to be made aware so that THIS doesn't happen. I would ask her why she's gone so much and depending on her reason, tell her your seeking out a replacement for it as it seems what you need her to do; she's not able to commit to.
she does not go to school and I don't think it's a family issue, if it were i am sure she would have told me....

I am just tired of paying for someone to be on payroll and workers comp that does not even come in....I am actually losing money.....i think I just need to let her go.
AmyLeigh 03:11 PM 05-22-2015
Think of it this way, would you let a dc family do this to you? Would you hold a spot open not knowing when or if they are coming back?

I doubt it.
Starburst 03:49 PM 05-22-2015
Once in a while, everyone needs a break or a day off. Doctor's appointment, DMV renewals/ misc. errands, personal day, ect. but I would say no more than one day per month on average (unless with doctor's note; not including a yearly vacation time) with a proper notice of as much time as possible to the employer.
daycare 05:44 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Once in a while, everyone needs a break or a day off. Doctor's appointment, DMV renewals/ misc. errands, personal day, ect. but I would say no more than one day per month on average (unless with doctor's note; not including a yearly vacation time) with a proper notice of as much time as possible to the employer.
She only works 2 days a week.
daycare 05:51 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Think of it this way, would you let a dc family do this to you? Would you hold a spot open not knowing when or if they are coming back?

I doubt it.
Good point and the answer is NO
daycare 08:33 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:

I doubt it.
Good point and the answer is NO
Leigh 08:18 AM 05-23-2015
Usually, I'd say that a happy employee is a good employee and encourage you to be as flexible as you can without damaging your business. I would meet with her and give her ONE warning about the situation. Let her know straight out that she is costing you money with unemployment ins./worker's comp and that it isn't worth it for you. Ask her what the situation is that is causing her to miss work to see if you can make an accommodation to help her get to work. Let her know that if she misses a day in the next 60 days without a note from her doctor proving serious illness, that she will be replaced.

Usually, I wouldn't suggest a written warning unless you are already ready to terminate-they destroy morale of good employees. This doesn't sound like someone you should keep, but I'd have the meeting anyway. There must be a reason that you hired her to begin with, so I'd give it one shot at fixing it.
Tags:assistant, employee
Reply Up