Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kitty Litter Box
Jenniferdawn 04:39 PM 10-09-2011
Anyone have any idea if a kitty litter box is allowed to be in an accessible room in California? I use all natural, non-toxic litter. I know I can call licensing tomorrow, but I thought I'd check here first. I was hoping I wouldn't have to lock the cats away in the bedroom all day when the daycare kids are here. (the litter box is in a bedroom closet)
sharlan 05:18 PM 10-09-2011
I have one just outside the kids bathroom and one upstairs in my laundryroom. Both were approved by the licensor.

Both are covered.
Jenniferdawn 06:39 PM 10-09-2011
Ah perfect! Thanks.
Abigail 08:52 PM 10-09-2011
I'll find out in a few days where I can have mine. I have three cats and they are free to roam the whole house throughout the day. I'm sure many places are acceptable.
MamaBearCW 04:27 AM 10-10-2011
I think with FCC you have to have it in an area that not accessible to the children. It has been over four years since I was getting my FCC licence, but we retired and moved back home. Anyway covered or not, it has to be in a room that is not used to serve or prepare food or accessible to children.
harperluu 05:40 AM 10-10-2011
If you need to, put up a baby gate to the door of the bedroom where the kitty litter is located. One the cat can jump over, but the kiddies cannot.
Jenniferdawn 08:35 AM 10-10-2011
Oh good idea about the baby gate. Didn't think about that.
MarinaVanessa 08:57 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
If you need to, put up a baby gate to the door of the bedroom where the kitty litter is located. One the cat can jump over, but the kiddies cannot.
This is what we did. I was told by my licensor in CA that the kitty litter box couldn't be accesible to children whether it was a covered litter box or not so I kept it upstairs in a bedroom. The cat would come and go as he pleased and would either walk through the stair railing or hop over the safety gate at the bottom of the stairs to go potty. That should deffinetely be enough.
DaycareMama 10:45 AM 10-10-2011
For my box downstairs I put a little cat door on the bottom of a closet door and kitty could come and go as he pleased. I was worried the cat would get locked downstairs by accident with no litter box.
Tags:california, cats, kitty litter
Reply Up