Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curdled Milk?
Unregistered 06:38 PM 10-06-2011
Logged out for privacy. How long does it take milk to curdle?

A client brought cups of milk today in the diaper bag. DCM yelled out the window as she pulled away "the kids brought their drinks today" Sure enough DCKs were digging in the bag wanting their milk. The sippy cups felt cold but were the kind you can't see through due to graphics. I opened one up just to check. It was milk filled to the top and looked fresh and was cold so I gave the kids the cups with breakfast. Normally I do not allow anything from home but DCM was already gone and why waste milk.

After breakfast I open the cups to rinse them. DCK1 had iced tea not milk like the sibling!!! I dump it and open DCK2 which was the milk I saw but this time I noticed it smelled bad. I dump the milk and feel it is cold but then notice the little catch is whats stinking. It is packed with curdled milk!!! I looked at DCK1 also and his catch also had curdled milk! WTH??? Now while I was looking at the catch the cups are filling up with soapy water. I let them sit a minute and clean the catch with a pipe cleaner it's so bad!! I don't even know how they were gettting drinks through that GAG!!

Now I am using my sprayer to blast out the cups until the hot soapy water clears. I dump the water out and OMG there is curdled milk in the 1 cup so bad, so thick it looks like pie crust!!! I gag and about throw up thinking the poor child just drank fresh milk out of this!! That hard sprayer didn't even chip it away, or maybe it did GAG!! I tried to clean it out with a sponge and it was so bad it wouldn't all come out. My sponge was then covered in thick curdled milk pieces! I threw it away and had to get a bottle brush and scrub it over and over. The other cup had a film on the bottom too but nothing like the pie crust looking one. It took me about 10 minutes to get these 2 cups scrubbed clean and picked out of the cup lid and catches.

I mention there was curdeled milk through the cups to DCM and she says she didn't see curdled milk this moring when she rinsed it to put fresh milk in. I said the catch was literally packed which is probably why the kids didn't drink much, they couldn't get the fresh drink through the curd!! She just shrugged her shoulders saying she rinsed it before she poured fresh milk. I realised it was going to be another battle of her lie/my imagination so I dropped it but this is not the first time that happened. This happened a while ago but I had forgotten about it otherwise I would have inspected the cups more closely. Now I feel horrible the kids drank that even if it was fresh it sat in a crust of rotten milk!! Oh and the tea as well!!

Those cups had to be sitting with rotten milk in them for days! I have gone to bed and forgotten a glass of milk on the dining room table and it just left a small ring around the top edge the next day. So being this cup had a thick crust like layer how long do you think it really sat? The kids seemed ok they played like normal. Do you think they will get sick from this?
wdmmom 07:27 PM 10-06-2011
No cups brought from home. If she wants to bring you a 1/2 gallon of milk so you can fill them, so be it. Otherwise, enforce no cups from home.

Never ceazes to amaze me that lazy parents are everywhere!
cheerfuldom 07:29 PM 10-06-2011
thats disgusting. no more milk or cups from home. its crazy she doesn't care more about what happened though!
sharlan 07:41 PM 10-06-2011
Absolutely disgusting. I can't imagine a mother "rinsing" a sippy cup and refilling it.
Meyou 02:39 AM 10-07-2011
Gross! I've had milk curdle fast but not that fast before! I'm totally queasy right now thinking about those cups.
meganlavonnesmommy 02:47 AM 10-07-2011
HOnestly, it depends on the temperature the milk was left in, and how old the milk is. I've had milk in sippie cups that I put in the sink after breakfast, and I didnt get to the dishes until about 8 hours later. By then the milk had curdled.

Not saying what Mom did was ok, but milk can curdle in just a few hours. Most likely the cup already had bacteria in it, and when she "rinsed" the cup without washing it, the bacteria remained in the cup. Add the milk to the bacteria, and it will curdle faster than normal. Poor kids.

I've had parents show up with cups that had mold in the sippie cup valves. YUCK! I dont understand how parents dont understand you need to take the cups completely apart to clean them!

Another reason to not allow food from home.
countrymom 06:09 AM 10-07-2011
gross, I know that smell when I would find the sippy cups under the bed, omg, I would just throw it away because no amount of washing can get that smell away. You would be amazed how many have sippys that are never washed correctly. You should see it when it turns black.
Kaddidle Care 06:13 AM 10-07-2011
She is ASSUMING that YOU have been washing the cups and she's only rinsed them and has been refilling them.

Makes me want to gag.

Do these children have a lot of intestinal ills? If not they've got rock gut and can handle anything!

Poor things probably don't even know what fresh milk tastes like.
mismatchedsocks 06:19 AM 10-07-2011
Yuck! No more drinks from home. And you are much nicer then me. I would have rinsed out the milk, put in bag and hang outside. Then at pick up, would have told mom, there must be milk reside in the valve and cup because it was curdled today. Please dont bring cups anymore. Let her scrub the mess.

Also I never use valve sippy cups. I have a bunch of these, in all different sizes and the tops are interchangeable with all size cups. I have the 4 ounce, 8 ounce and 10 ounce. Valves and straw sippys are the nastiest! Unless you actually take the time to clean them fully!!

http://www.bing.com/shopping/learnin...cups&FORM=HURE
littlemommy 06:43 AM 10-07-2011
Maybe I shouldn't have read this right after drinking a glass of milk!
Tags:milk, milk - curdled, milk - sour
Reply Up