Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Curious...about Minute Menu
tjones34 06:21 AM 08-19-2013
Do you guys that use minute menu on the food program how do you handle when you have temporary children that come or drop ins? Do you sign them up or no? I have a 2 yo that will be with me for 2 weeks only. I have get a constant flow of drop ins
coolconfidentme 06:50 AM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by tjones34:
Do you guys that use minute menu on the food program how do you handle when you have temporary children that come or drop ins? Do you sign them up or no? I have a 2 yo that will be with me for 2 weeks only. I have get a constant flow of drop ins
What do you mean by drop-in? I claim all children I feed, even my part time kids.
tjones34 06:56 AM 08-19-2013
I have kids that just come randomly for a day. But I get them a lot
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 08-19-2013
Anyone attending less than 3 days a week is considered drop in here.

I charge a significantly higher rate for drop ins so I don't enroll them in the food program as their rate more than compensates me for any food I feed them.

I also keep track of ALL meals/snacks NOT claimed through the food program so I can deduct them on my taxes at the end of the year.

IMHO, it is too time consuming and difficult to add drop in children to my Minute Menu roster unless they attended regularly. kwim?

Hope that helps...
tjones34 07:46 AM 08-19-2013
It helps thanks. Was just wondering cause the temporary child is here for 2 weeks straight this week and next week. Her regular provider is on vacation. Thanks!!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by tjones34:
It helps thanks. Was just wondering cause the temporary child is here for 2 weeks straight this week and next week. Her regular provider is on vacation. Thanks!!!!!!
Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would just keep track of the meals and snacks served and then use them as a deduction later in doing your taxes.

You still claim the same amount of money the food program would have reimbursed you so it comes out the same either way...just less paperwork at the end of the year verses having to enroll them in the food program and then withdraw them..kwim?
tjones34 08:02 AM 08-19-2013
Ohhhhh that does make sense. Ok I will do that.
nanglgrl 09:49 AM 08-19-2013
In Iowa we have to enroll every client even if its just one day once in a while. I recently enrolled a child who's a vegetarian and mom decided she will provide food so I called my food program rep and she said we have to enroll everyone and count them in attendance but in my case I don't claim their meal. She said this is so they can make sure we aren't over in numbers because that automatically disqualifies us for any payment from the food program for the day. You might want to check with your food program sponsor as I know the rules vary by state.
Familycare71 09:51 AM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would just keep track of the meals and snacks served and then use them as a deduction later in doing your taxes.

You still claim the same amount of money the food program would have reimbursed you so it comes out the same either way...just less paperwork at the end of the year verses having to enroll them in the food program and then withdraw them..kwim?
That is what I do year round for every meal
Margarete 10:10 AM 08-19-2013
We have a form for parents who don't want to enroll. While it hasn't come up I would guess we are supposed to have either form filled.
Question? Is it possible the temp dck will drop in again?
Can't we just enroll someone and have them 'inactive', not in attendance and not counted for meals for an extended period of time for those who drop in on occasion?
I'm new to the meal program, so I'm still figuring this out.
Tags:food program, minute menu
Reply Up