Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand Drying
gumdrops 06:51 AM 03-01-2018
I am looking for a cost efficient method for drying little hands. They were sharing a hand towel that I changed out daily, but when I saw a 3 year old wipe her mouth/nose on it, I realized that was not a good method.

I have been using paper towels, but the kids are struggling with using one at a time. Also, we all know what a roll of paper towels looks like after soaking wet hands try to tear one off. So, I'm currently tearing paper towels and laying them on the counter, but that's an endless job.

I thought about purchasing a paper towel dispenser, but I don't really want that mounted in my bathroom. I'm also not sure I want the cost of buying specific paper towels.

I also considered the Norwex animal things that hang (not sure what they're called), but I think those would be soaked by the end of the day and I'm not 100% confident that they will contain any/all germs that may get wiped on them.

What do you all use?
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 03-01-2018
https://www.amazon.com/Kleenex-Hand-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Kleenex hand towels. The dispenser sits on the towel rack or counter. One use disposables are required by licensing here due to health and safety regulations.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 03-01-2018
I use a wall mounted dispenser. It was inexpensive and easy to install. I know you said you don't really want one hanging in your bathroom but in all honesty it solves the issue easily.

I have also seen providers use dispensers that sit on the counter top too as well as providers that simply supply a hand towel to EACH child. At the end of the day, take the hand towels and launder for a fresh start the next day.

Most state laws require single use or one hand towel PER child laundered daily.
hwichlaz 07:34 AM 03-01-2018
Each child I has their own handtowel (washcloth) that I switch out every day. I use these.... https://www.amazon.com/Lwestine-Extr.../dp/B0761LW38H
storybookending 08:37 AM 03-01-2018
Not my bathroom but found on Pinterest

Jk upload keeps failing I’ll keep trying

Okay I’ll try a link
https://homedaycareandme.wordpress.c...-space-part-3/
LostMyMarbles 08:53 AM 03-01-2018
I have a Georgia Pacific multi fold paper towel dispenser mounted on my wall. It was under $20 and I order a case of the towels about every 6 weeks for $22. In my state we can not have community towels.

I love it. Wish I had one in my family bath as well.
LittleScholars 09:16 AM 03-01-2018
I have this dispenser and love it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K8S1I0...a-301788688523

It looks like a regular shelf and dispenses perfectly. A giant box of paper towels is only like $25 and one box lasted us forever. I'm very insistent that kids take ONE paper towel. I swear it makes us all healthier.

The alternative for me is one towel per child/day, and I don't do any daycare laundry in order to save my sanity.
Ariana 09:52 AM 03-01-2018
I have about 50 washcloths that I use daily. For each meal I take out the amount I need and soak them in soapy water and give them out to the kids. Then they go in the little counter top laundry basket. Then everything is washed at the end of the day.
gumdrops 10:02 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have about 50 washcloths that I use daily. For each meal I take out the amount I need and soak them in soapy water and give them out to the kids. Then they go in the little counter top laundry basket. Then everything is washed at the end of the day.
That's what I do after lunch. I guess I could put a stack of washcloths in the bathroom that they could use to dry their hands after they wash.
Rockgirl 10:11 AM 03-01-2018
I also use washcloths. I bought several bundles at Walmart, and I keep them stacked in a basket on the bathroom counter. There’s a bin under the counter where they toss them after drying their hands. It works well.
Ariana 10:22 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
That's what I do after lunch. I guess I could put a stack of washcloths in the bathroom that they could use to dry their hands after they wash.
I think that would work. Just have a little neat basket to put them in and as another poster mentioned have a laundry basket on the floor for them to be tossed in.
daycarediva 10:49 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I also use washcloths. I bought several bundles at Walmart, and I keep them stacked in a basket on the bathroom counter. There’s a bin under the counter where they toss them after drying their hands. It works well.

Same!

Clean, super cost efficient.
mamamanda 12:34 PM 03-01-2018
I have wall mounted hooks & each child gets a wash cloth that hangs on their hook each day. I launder them daily.
KSDC 12:48 PM 03-01-2018
I have wall mounted hooks with hand towels hanging on them. Each child has their own color and their hook is labeled with their name. I was the towels weekly. (More often if we have sickness going through the daycare.)
Pestle 01:41 PM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
I have a Georgia Pacific multi fold paper towel dispenser mounted on my wall. It was under $20 and I order a case of the towels about every 6 weeks for $22. In my state we can not have community towels.

I love it. Wish I had one in my family bath as well.
Ditto!
Tags:hand drying tips
Reply Up