Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sad...
jen 07:00 AM 02-25-2011
Fatal home daycare fire. I can't even imagine how this happened.

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...ps=1011&page=1
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 02-25-2011
Comment respectfully deleted for the family, responders and providers.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-atta...s-3-injures-4/
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 02-25-2011
I saw this on Good Morning America this morning. SAD SAD SAD.....Preventable as well. That is what makes it even sadder!
gbcc 07:09 AM 02-25-2011
What a shame

I wonder why she was not able to get any children out? If she had too many that were not able to walk yet? It says she was 22, maybe just very young and not prepared to remain calm during an emergency? I hate to say it but it sounds more like she was maybe asleep because being in the bathroom you would hear and smell the smoke.
squareone 07:11 AM 02-25-2011
How awfully sad. I cannot even imagine being in the parents' OR the provider's shoes in a situation like this.
MN Mom 07:12 AM 02-25-2011
Those poor children and families. I cannot even fathom the emotions they are all going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone involved. This woman is going to have to live with this the rest of her life. Considering how her behavior at the scene was described, possibly years and years of psychiatric help as well.

So terribly sad :*(
nikia 07:19 AM 02-25-2011
Its so sad. I cant imagine what the parents are going through right now.

Something seems off about it to me. Like why didnt she get any of the children out, if it was a kitchen fire from her cooking how long was she in the bathroom, Just seems there are a lot of questions and it doesnt seem right to me.
jen 07:19 AM 02-25-2011
I think she did get 2 of them out...but yes, I agaree. Either that house went up in a flash or she wasn't in the bathroom. My smoke detectors go off when my teenager burns a pizza...

I just don't get it...
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by gbcc:
What a shame

I wonder why she was not able to get any children out? If she had too many that were not able to walk yet? It says she was 22, maybe just very young and not prepared to remain calm during an emergency? I hate to say it but it sounds more like she was maybe asleep because being in the bathroom you would hear and smell the smoke.
It also states she was only licensed up to 6 kids and she had 7 so she was probably out of compliance with the ages and ratios as well. Perfect example of why we have rules...
daycare 07:24 AM 02-25-2011
Where's catherder? We need you to post some Friday funnies now.
That made me cry.
dEHmom 07:28 AM 02-25-2011
1 over limit. But maybe because 1 parent was late and the child overlapped? But it states 6 in 24 hours so still breaking the rules.

Maybe she was having a smoke outside? Who knows where she truly was.

It does state 2 children were already outside, meaning she managed to get 2 out by the time rescue came.

However, I don't understand how we could know it was preventable? We don't know yet what started the fire.

AND...

It is a fact that in an emergency such as a fire, even with all the practice with children, they are hiders. Children will hide in closets, under beds, etc when they are scared. The children probably hid and that's why she couldn't find them all. The youngest ones I would've assumed would be in playpens or cribs.

Very sad.
nikia 07:35 AM 02-25-2011
In our state we have to have it mapped out for emergency exits and we have to practice every month. I set my alarms off and the kids know what to do, the newest ones cry and get a bit scared but I would rather have them be scared and cry the first few times we practice than have the alternative happen.

Do you guys have the same kind of rules in your state?
melskids 07:36 AM 02-25-2011
she may have also panicked and worried more about putting the fire out, then getting the kids out of the house.

so sad
countrymom 07:37 AM 02-25-2011
that is very sad. But what i don't understand is didn't she have a fire alarm. Even if you were in the bathroom you would be able to hear it, and where were all these children when she was in the batheroom. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Also if it started in the kitchen, what the heck was she doing in the bathroom when the burner was on, why didn't she call 911 from inside the house, didn't she have a fire extingisher. Way too many unanswered questions. Also, I find it odd that that she escaped with only smoke inhalation.
3kidzmama 07:45 AM 02-25-2011
How heartbreaking. I'm praying for those children, their families, and the provider.
MyAngels 07:52 AM 02-25-2011
How horrible. I really hope there was no negligence on the part of the provider here. It would be bad enough to lose your child in this way, but then to find out that the provider was negligent, how tragic.

No matter what happened in this instance, this is an excellent reminder to us all that we must be religious about those fire, tornado (in my area) and emergency drills.

We have a "game" that we play once a month or so that the kids love and I think will help them remember what to do if there ever is a fire. I painted a picture of some flames on a piece of posterboard and I will put it somewhere in the house. Then the kids are to respond as if it were a real fire - what do we do? where do we go? how do we get out of the house? where do we go once we're out of the house? They are really good at adjusting their exit based on where the "fire" is.

Does anybody else have any tips on how they stay prepared?
MommyMuffin 07:56 AM 02-25-2011
Wow that is really sad. This is why I will never have more than 4 dcks. That is enough for me.

Really sad story for everyone involved.
SilverSabre25 07:59 AM 02-25-2011
It says no more than 6 under preschool age (5) so maybe one was older than that?

I have personal experience with a kitchen fire starting in an instant, but even with that (it was an oil fire) there wasn't enough smoke THAT quickly that getting out should have been hard...and it was only a one story house. There weren't stairs to contend with.

Horrible, tragic story. We'll probably never find out "the rest" though.
Lilbutterflie 08:10 AM 02-25-2011
This article made me cry. So So So tragic. I hope a follow-up article is written in the future once the investigation is complete.
gbcc 08:11 AM 02-25-2011
The extra child could have been her child as well. In some states your child doesn't count in your ratios you are allowed. Since she was so hystirical I wonder if her child was not one of the 5 left inside?

Either way with all the missing links it is still so sad.
Unregistered 08:48 AM 02-25-2011
i really cried the whole time. I hope those familys heel from this horible event.
Angelwings36 08:48 AM 02-25-2011
There is so many questions in this situation...

1. If the provider was just in the bathroom for a couple minutes doing her thing...what made the fire spread so fast that she was unable to get all the children safely out in time?

2. What time of the day did this happen...where the children all down for nap time and the provider was in the shower in the bathroom (with baby monitors) that it took her so long to respond to the scene? If so, how would she not hear the fire alarm? Was there a functioning fire alarm on site?

3. Was the provider asleep?

4. Was the provider outside?

5. How many floors where in this house...where the children on different floors? Why?

I just don't understand how she was only able to get 2 of the 7 children outside safely. In the case of a fire for me I would instantly call 911 and then the first chance that I was outside I would be screaming for neighbors to come help me if I was having problems removing everyone in time.
SilverSabre25 08:51 AM 02-25-2011
Angelwing, the article does state that it was ranch-style house, meaning one story.
Angelwings36 08:56 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Angelwing, the article does state that it was ranch-style house, meaning one story.
Yes I realized that after reading through the article again. It just gives me chills!
jen 08:58 AM 02-25-2011
Obviously this is just speculation, but I wonder if the kids were in the basement and the stairs were cut off by the fire in the kitchen. In my inlaws house it would be tough to get downstairs in the event of a kitchen fire...
Angelwings36 09:03 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Obviously this is just speculation, but I wonder if the kids were in the basement and the stairs were cut off by the fire in the kitchen. In my inlaws house it would be tough to get downstairs in the event of a kitchen fire...
We have a side door on our house which is the easiest to access the basement through...however our kitchen is directly beside this door as well. In the case of a kitchen fire in my home (if it were out of control and I could not get my kids out the side door) we would have to go through one of the basement windows. Luckily our basement windows open so this is an option.
3kidzmama 09:29 AM 02-25-2011
One of my biggest fears is a fire in my home, most likely because our house burned to the ground when I was 3 years old and I was inside. My mother was blessed to be able to get the both of us to safety although she did suffer burns.

In my home, if I were in the bathroom when a fire broke out in the kitchen, I would not be able to get into my kitchen or living room. Because of where my stove and kitchen doorway are, the fire would most likely block the entrance to both rooms. For this reason (and because I'm paranoid about the possibility of a fire) I try to make sure my kids are in the same part of the house that I am (not necessarily in the bathroom with me, but at least in that end of the house). This way I feel safer that I could get to them and get us all out safely.

Also, we shouldn't assume that she was cooking and left it unattended. We all know how quickly little ones can get into mischief, and it could have been that one of the children went into the kitchen while she was in the bathroom and messed with the stove. Granted, this still means they were unsupervised for a few minutes.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 09:32 AM 02-25-2011
unless there is an explosion, I just dont know how you dont get everyone out of the house...Id be flinging them out the door or windows risking broken bones. I actually have carried 1 in each arm and held the hand of 1 with each hand. If they were in the basement, doesnt it have an exit besides the house? and if I were in the bathroom... Id be on the news getting kids out of the house with my pants around my ankles. Its easy for us to speculate and I feel for all of them including the provider. But geez...
snbauser 09:49 AM 02-25-2011
Very sad for all involved. Those poor children and their families. And the provider only being 22 will have to live with this the rest of her life.

But I just don't understand how if the provider was only in the bathroom and she had working smoke detectors, how did she not know something was going on sooner? If the smoke was so think they had to use thermal imaging to look for the children, surely the smoke alarms had to be going off for a while.
juliebug 10:38 AM 02-25-2011
more info here
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rticle-7980199

it happened at 1:30pm local time
MG&Lsmom 10:47 AM 02-25-2011
Wow! So sad.

This makes me very nervous. Like a pp said, some kids just hide. We're required to do monthly drills but I have been doing them weekly because I have one that still runs and hides behind the couch.
DCMomOf3 10:49 AM 02-25-2011
It sounds like there was no lack of help trying to get the kids out, but I want to know what would cause that much smoke and such little flame. So heartbreaking.
WImom 10:49 AM 02-25-2011
This is really sad. I agree though that something isn't right with the provider being in the bathroom. I'm interested to see how this story unfolds. How sad for those families and the provider.

Reminds me I need to do my drill this month still.
daycare 10:51 AM 02-25-2011
wow my heart goes out to everyone that was involved....so sad.. I feel so bad for this provider as i am sure since she was the one in charge everyone is pointing the finger at her.......... makes me want to practice fire safety even more than I already do.

dEHmom 10:55 AM 02-25-2011
so sad....

I wonder if she's a poster on this site?
dEHmom 10:57 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
It sounds like there was no lack of help trying to get the kids out, but I want to know what would cause that much smoke and such little flame. So heartbreaking.
is it possible it started maybe above the garage where the smoke alarm wasn't?

I know some fires, if electrical or something spread through the walls., and other fires spread through the vents and they spread so fast .
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 02-25-2011
http://www.jems.com/article/news/one...escued-houston
juliebug 11:01 AM 02-25-2011
It's so scary! i pray for them all
nikia 11:24 AM 02-25-2011
In one of the videos it has a nieghbor that said daycare provider stated they had been in there a long time because she had passed out too.

I really hope that they find it was an accident and nothing that the provider did.
boysx5 11:30 AM 02-25-2011
so sad sending prayers for all the families
twinsand4 11:44 AM 02-25-2011
From what I heard the reason they had a hard time getting them out was b/c the smoke was so bad and thick. two of the kids that died I believe they said died from smoke inhalation. I heard even teh firefighters were having issues with the smoke. Still very sad.
Crystal 11:49 AM 02-25-2011
Very sad and heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to the children and their families, as well as to the provider.

I would hope if there is ever a tragedy that other providers would leave their assumptions aside until facts are presented in the case. The provider may be completely innocent of any wrongdoing and it would be awful if her world is torn apart MORE than it already has been because the media and people around the world make assumptions that end up being unfounded.

Prayers going up..............
Missani 11:54 AM 02-25-2011
Wait, now she didn't even know how many children she had? She thought there were 9? I understand that an emergency can do strange things to your brain, but to me, that's first and foremost. Always know how many and which kids you have. I used to work in a center where the director would randomly ask ANY staff in a classroom how many kids were in that room. If you didn't know, you were fired on the spot. Pack your things and go. You should always know how many kids you have.

It sounds like she was regularly operating over her capacity. That's very sad. I hope to find out that I'm wrong.

No matter what, though, it's a very tragic incident! My heart goes out to all involved.
Crystal 11:55 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
Wait, now she didn't even know how many children she had? She thought there were 9? I understand that an emergency can do strange things to your brain, but to me, that's first and foremost. Always know how many and which kids you have. I used to work in a center where the director would randomly ask ANY staff in a classroom how many kids were in that room. If you didn't know, you were fired on the spot. Pack your things and go. You should always know how many kids you have.

It sounds like she was regularly operating over her capacity. That's very sad. I hope to find out that I'm wrong.

No matter what, though, it's a very tragic incident! My heart goes out to all involved.
From what I read she was SUPPOSED to have 9 that day and two did not show up.

It also states that she can have 12 children if half are over preschool age.
nannyde 04:29 PM 02-25-2011
Jessica Tata, 22, is listed as the operator of the day care facility, Jackie’s Child Care, at 2810 Crest Park Lane. A state child care licensing official was on the scene speaking with Tata.

I haven't had a chance to read Texas licensing regs but I know one thing or sure. Under NO circumstances should a 22 year old be allowed to have that many children under her roof by herself.

It's just NOT old enough to have that much responsibility. Child care workers need TIME and maturity along with training and experience before they should be allowed to have THAT many kids by themselves.... especially kids three and under.

You need enough time on the planet to know in your heart that you would give your own life to save the life of any kid in your care.
juliebug 05:27 PM 02-25-2011
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7981074

ohh this doesn't sound too good now watch this
juliebug 05:31 PM 02-25-2011
"There's no question she went shopping," the source said on Friday. "They're trying to determine when exactly she returned, although it was a very close proximity (in time) to the fire."

But Tata's brother vigorously disputed claims that his sister went shopping, saying she was at the home-based child care operation the entire time leading up to the fire on Thursday.

"That's crap," said Ron Tata, 26, of Houston. "She was there the whole time. I'm 100 percent positive for sure. She was cooking and she went and put a baby down, changing a diaper, came out, the food was burning — she tried to put it out.

"The fire spread — it was a grease fire," Ron Tata said. "She called the ambulance. Her neighbors were outside, and she's pulling kids out, asking people for help, neighbors stood by and just watched. She went in for the third kid, she passed out and the firefighters went in there and rescued her."

Jessica Tata did not respond to requests for comment on Friday. Calls to her cellular phone went unanswered.
countrymom 05:43 PM 02-25-2011
oh my, they are saying that she just pulled in when it happened.
countrymom 05:46 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by juliebug:
"There's no question she went shopping," the source said on Friday. "They're trying to determine when exactly she returned, although it was a very close proximity (in time) to the fire."

But Tata's brother vigorously disputed claims that his sister went shopping, saying she was at the home-based child care operation the entire time leading up to the fire on Thursday.

"That's crap," said Ron Tata, 26, of Houston. "She was there the whole time. I'm 100 percent positive for sure. She was cooking and she went and put a baby down, changing a diaper, came out, the food was burning — she tried to put it out.

"The fire spread — it was a grease fire," Ron Tata said. "She called the ambulance. Her neighbors were outside, and she's pulling kids out, asking people for help, neighbors stood by and just watched. She went in for the third kid, she passed out and the firefighters went in there and rescued her."

Jessica Tata did not respond to requests for comment on Friday. Calls to her cellular phone went unanswered.
thats not what the 2 guys that help pull out the kids said. Funny how going to put a baby down is much different than the story about going to the bathroom. Also, who in the h*ll leaves a stove with grease in it to go and change a baby and put them down to sleep. You would be gone for about 15 min. doing this. And how the heck does this brother know, he wasn't there at the time.
mickey2 05:47 PM 02-25-2011
This is just so sad

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of these beautiful babies and also with this young woman.

There are so many variations going around of what happened. I will save judgment of any kind until I know exactly what has happened here as no one really knows at this point.

Humans are so quick to cast blame upon others. Lets all just be patient and wait until the investigation has been completed. Only then will we know what really happened.
nikia 09:30 PM 02-25-2011
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7980199

I just feel sick about this, I hope the nieghbors are wrong about her being out shopping and seeing her pull in the driveway then running around outside yelling about smoke.
Unregistered 05:17 AM 02-26-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7980199

I just feel sick about this, I hope the nieghbors are wrong about her being out shopping and seeing her pull in the driveway then running around outside yelling about smoke.
Nope the police said they have viedo of her at the grocery store
nannyde 07:11 AM 02-26-2011
http://www.click2houston.com/video/26990951/index.html
KEG123 07:24 AM 02-26-2011
This is so sad.
JenNJ 07:31 AM 02-26-2011
Oh my God. I cannot imagine leaving a house filled with children. I won't even walk out the front door 15 feet to my mailbox when the kids are inside. Nothing is more important than the safety of the kids in our care. How horrific.
Michelle 08:06 AM 02-26-2011
I have been watching all the news footage and I am so mad!
I can't believe the nerve of this woman leaving those kids alone!
If I'm out of milk or bread I just go without or I use vons.com or wait for someone to come home to get what I need. NOTHING was that important to leave them alone!!!!
omg
Unregistered 01:31 PM 02-26-2011
This is a horrendous crime. I can't feel a bit of pity for this woman. While those children were dead or being rushed to the hospital, she still tried to alibi herself by saying she was in the bathroom!! And now the facts show a completely different story. Nope, no pity for her. My sympathy lies with those poor babies and the parents who trusted this woman. This is truly a parent's worst nightmare.
jen 03:00 PM 02-26-2011
Her van was in one of the online videos and I noticed that she provides 24/7 daycare. I know that there are others who do this and are fine with it, but I have to wonder if this round the clolck work-day didn't have something to do with the errors in judgement this provider made.
blueclouds29 03:39 PM 02-26-2011
Just read that a fourth child just died last night :-( Very sad!
3kidzmama 06:21 PM 02-26-2011
Just read the updated article with the facts discovered.... What a horrible tragedy, senseless and preventable. I feel bad that I gave her the benefit if the doubt before the facts were known... And praying for those poor defenseless children and their families.
jen 07:18 PM 02-26-2011
Never feel bad for giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Better to do that than to accuse the innocent!
cillybean83 08:52 PM 02-26-2011
i hope this worthless piece of garbage gets the chair.
QualiTcare 09:24 PM 02-26-2011
totally disgusting.

i wonder if this "woman" has any children of her own. i doubt she does if she was enough of an idiot to leave ANY child alone - let alone seven children who are that young.

this is why young women with no children get discriminated against as childcare providers.
mickey2 05:53 AM 02-27-2011
On Daycare Bear The Childcare Providers Information Network there is information on this daycare listed.

It states that she cared for 9 children and had 3 employees. Wonder where they all were?

http://www.daycarebear.com/family-ho...childcare.html
Cat Herder 06:22 AM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Never feel bad for giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Better to do that than to accuse the innocent!
Not everyone "accuses the innocent". Some just have the facts or the experience to smell the poo quicker...

The media tends to speculate and miss the point alot....
DCMomOf3 07:31 AM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
On Daycare Bear The Childcare Providers Information Network there is information on her daycare listed.

It states that she cared for 9 children and had 3 employees. Wonder where they all were?

http://www.daycarebear.com/family-ho...childcare.html
According to the news reports, Texas DCFS said she had no employees.
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Fourt...116978833.html
nannyde 08:28 AM 02-27-2011
It makes me wonder if there was anyone else there she is protecting? If that person is family she may be hiding even more.

Sometimes in mistakes and tradgedy the provider is actually protecting a lesser crime.

If she left an unauthorized person there she initially may not have told the truth thinking she would be in trouble for THAT.

THAT is not anywhere near as bad as leaving the kids completely alone. If she can say words to make it look like SHE was there then she thinks she will be alright. She doesn't have to admit she had a person there who wasn't supposed to be there or that she was gone altogether.

I wonder about the ages of the kid. The oldest is three. Would a three year old who was unsupervised play with a stove? I don't know the answer to that. Out of everything they COULD do in the house would THAT be what they would mess with?

I could see them go to water or tear up the house/toys.... but going to the stove?

One thing that is odd too is the time the neighbors said they saw her go in and the time she came out for help. They estimated ten to twenty minutes. That makes me wonder if the fire actually did start after she got back. What kind of fire would she have that she could work on getting out in ten to twenty minutes assuming it was already started when she got there?
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 02-27-2011
http://www.click2houston.com/video/26990951/index.html
nannyde 09:10 AM 02-27-2011
http://houston.craigslist.org/kid/2164639868.html
Christian Childcare Open 24 Hours Mon-Sat/ Great Pre-School (Richmond/ DairyAshford/Hwy6/Westheimer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-17, 8:25AM CST

Hello there. We are a Christian in home childcare. We are open 24 hours, Mon- Sat, but our regular hours are 6a-6:30 pm, Mon- Fri, evenings, overnights and Saturdays, are all by appt only. We are licensed and have a huge house, being used entirely for daycare. Children are separated by ages. We have an awesome pre-school, where are children start at the tender age of 30 months and attend to age 5. Our curriculum is one of the best in town, its Montessori style, where every child learns at their own pace. In addition to the regular basic Pre-K curriculum we also teach: Science, Bible Stories, Spanish, Early Reading, and so much more. Your child(ren) will love it here, especially with all the individual attention that they will receive. We are located on Richmond, between Synott and Eldridge. Transportation is provided as well. Give us a call @ 281-933-5437(KIDS)/ 832-620-8703.
Cat Herder 09:13 AM 02-27-2011
How many red flags does a person need?

Just sad.....
nannyde 09:17 AM 02-27-2011
Looks like she did child care in her home too:

from 2007

http://www.childcareratingz.com/rati...Childcare.html
nannyde 09:24 AM 02-27-2011
We have an awesome pre-school, where are children start at the tender age of 30 months and attend to age 5. Our curriculum is one of the best in town, its Montessori style, where every child learns at their own pace. In addition to the regular basic Pre-K curriculum we also teach: Science, Bible Stories, Spanish, Early Reading, and so much more. Your child(ren) will love it here, especially with all the individual attention that they will receive.

All this and nothing about CARE

How about taking CARE of the kids?

It makes me so sad. What have we come to? Would this have had a different outcome if the providers child care was based on the physical care and supervision of the kids?

These ads tell you exactly what providers believe parents want based on their experience. What about careful supervision and CARE?
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 02-27-2011
We are just back to the shell/nut game, again, Nannyde....

Buzz words, "I am better than you" store bought certifications, and lack of the truth....

The poor providers go through all this training, pay out more than they can afford to do so but never get the true training and support they need to do this job to the best of their ability. The children are the ones who inevitably pay the price.

We cannot be all things to all people, trying to be leads to becoming overwhelmed and making horrific lapses of judgment.

Did she deserve this NO!!!!! Can it happen again...yes, and sadly it will.....
jen 09:53 AM 02-27-2011
OK...this is just my humble opinion, take it for what its worth.

I am 44. None of my friends or I went to daycare, eating at McDonalds was a treat, preschool consisted of Girl Scout Camp or Art Class, and Summer School meant ceramic class or kick-ball. In general, our Mom's stayed home and our parents stayed married. Before 1960 (yes, I know, I wasn't born until 1967) but before the 60's divorce was very uncommon, and the vast majority of wives stayed home with children. In the 1970's and 1980's, when many of my daycare parents were born, the divorce rate skyrocketed and women returned the work force in droves. McDonalds and the like went crazy, houses got much bigger, and obesity started running rampant.

Do they really need to read by kindergarten, a 4,000 square foot house, or $300 electric Barbie cars? Probably not. But, as long as parents can justify their lack of time and attention to their kids by assuring themselves that kids need the best early "education," the nicest neighborhoods, and Mom really needs a $30,000 SUV, we'll have kids in daycare for all sorts of time while Mommy decompresses from her busy day of supplying her children with the best of everything and nothing that they really needed to begin with.

Stepping down now....
nannyde 10:01 AM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
We are just back to the shell/nut game, again, Nannyde....

Buzz words, "I am better than you" store bought certifications, and lack of the truth....

The poor providers go through all this training, pay out more than they can afford to do so but never get the true training and support they need to do this job to the best of their ability. The children are the ones who inevitably pay the price.

We cannot be all things to all people, trying to be leads to becoming overwhelmed and making horrific lapses of judgment.

Did she deserve this NO!!!!! Can it happen again...yes, and sadly it will.....
I don't agree with someone that young being ABLE to have that many kids alone especially under three. My State allows it too and I disagree with it.

But if you ARE going to allow a 22 year old to have six (sounds like she was supposed to just have six) kids that age then you need to REQUIRE that they do NOT do an educational program along with care. A 22 year old can NOT provide excellent care to this many really young kids by herself AND do a full preschool program.

I don't care how educated she is and I don't care how many years she has watched kids. It's TOO MUCH.
Cat Herder 10:36 AM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't agree with someone that young being ABLE to have that many kids alone especially under three. My State allows it too and I disagree with it.

But if you ARE going to allow a 22 year old to have six (sounds like she was supposed to just have six) kids that age then you need to REQUIRE that they do NOT do an educational program along with care. A 22 year old can NOT provide excellent care to this many really young kids by herself AND do a full preschool program.

I don't care how educated she is and I don't care how many years she has watched kids. It's TOO MUCH.
I feel any provider, of any age, who is being 100% truthful to herself and the parents of the children she cares for would say the same of herself.

Childcare or Pre-school.... Parents need to choose one.

If any Daycares are lucky enough to be able to offer care with two providers in one room; one for direct CARE and one for PRE-SCHOOL, WITHOUT doubling the ratio of children to providers......Kudos to you.... I would wear your business logo with pride, I swear I would.

Most cannot afford to provide that service and should never be able to advertise they do unless they ACTUALLY do.
nikia 10:44 AM 02-27-2011
I agree she was probably trying to do to much, BUT the thing that bothers me is that she could walk out the door get in her car, drive to the grocery store, walk around that grocery store like it was NOTHING, like she didnt have 7 babies at home alone. It makes me sick who knows if it was that she was 22, that she was open too many hours, that she tried to do to much curriculum or if she was that stupid. No excuse will ever bring those babies back and if it were my kid no excuse would be good enough for me.
Cat Herder 10:50 AM 02-27-2011
I agree she was probably trying to do to much, BUT the thing that bothers me is that she could walk out the door get in her car, drive to the grocery store, walk around that grocery store like it was NOTHING, like she didn't have 7 babies at home alone. It makes me sick who knows if it was that she was 22, that she was open too many hours, that she tried to do to much curriculum or if she was that stupid. No excuse will ever bring those babies back and if it were my kid no excuse would be good enough for me.
I could not agree more, Sorry Nikia.

I guess I just really want a dialogue to prevent it from happening again...you know? The powerlessness of it all when we most see the warning signs but nobody speaks up...

We can't take this back... We all will pay in some form with more regulations, soon..

I just wish the regulations and training that will be coming could be relevant this time..

I have seen this cycle way too many times in the last 20 years....YKWIM???

I have to wonder every day that if they changed the ratios and mandated direct physical supervision at all times (not in a crib in an infant room while the provider is teaching long division to a two year old) would my own son still be alive. The coroners report estimates he laid in his crib, dead, for up to 3 hours before EMS was called based on the degree of lividity to his body.

This is very personal to me...and I can't help getting emotional about it sometimes.

Would these children still be alive with the same mandates, IDK...but I would like to try....
nikia 11:02 AM 02-27-2011
I could not agree more, Sorry Nikia.

I guess I just really want a dialogue to prevent it from happening again...you know? The powerlessness of it all when we most see the warning signs but nobody speaks up...

We can't take this back... We all will pay in some form with more regulations, soon..

I just wish the regulations and training that will be coming could be relevant this time..

I have seen this cycle way too many times in the last 20 years....YKWIM???
No need to be sorry, I wasnt trying to be rude at all I completely agree with you and nannyde, I just feel so sick about this and angry you know. I just wish all daycare providers were like me, you, nannyde and so many other woman on here.

I want to understand why people do the things they do. I had a daycare provider for my children when I worked outside the home and she let a 9 year old take my 2 and 3 year old around the block, that 9 year old told my kids to walk one way while she walked the other. Nothing happend to my children THANK GOD, but it could have happend and my daycare provider got my wrath after my 3 year old told me we went for a walk by ourselves!!!!

I wish so many things would change in who can watch kids, I just know that I am so thankful for my job. I am thankful that I can be with my kids when they get home from school. And grateful for my daycare kids.
Cat Herder 11:07 AM 02-27-2011
No need to be sorry, I wasnt trying to be rude at all I completely agree with you and nannyde, I just feel so sick about this and angry you know. I just wish all daycare providers were like me, you, nannyde and so many other woman on here.

I want to understand why people do the things they do. I had a daycare provider for my children when I worked outside the home and she let a 9 year old take my 2 and 3 year old around the block, that 9 year old told my kids to walk one way while she walked the other. Nothing happend to my children THANK GOD, but it could have happend and my daycare provider got my wrath after my 3 year old told me we went for a walk by ourselves!!!!

I wish so many things would change in who can watch kids, I just know that I am so thankful for my job. I am thankful that I can be with my kids when they get home from school. And grateful for my daycare kids.
You are never rude and I added a bit more to explain myself... I just feel like I hop on my soapbox alot and wanted you to understand why....
nikia 11:34 AM 02-27-2011
I have to wonder every day that if they changed the ratios and mandated direct physical supervision at all times (not in a crib in an infant room while the provider is teaching long division to a two year old) would my own son still be alive. The coroners report estimates he laid in his crib, dead, for up to 3 hours before EMS was called based on the degree of lividity to his body.

This is very personal to me...and I can't help getting emotional about it sometimes.

Would these children still be alive with the same mandates, IDK...but I would like to try....
I am so sorry about your son, I cannot imagine what it is like or knowing that 3 hours passed before EMS was called. It is personal for you and if it were me I would always try to figure out what could have been done different.
nannyde 11:34 AM 02-27-2011
I agree she was probably trying to do to much, BUT the thing that bothers me is that she could walk out the door get in her car, drive to the grocery store, walk around that grocery store like it was NOTHING, like she didnt have 7 babies at home alone. It makes me sick who knows if it was that she was 22, that she was open too many hours, that she tried to do to much curriculum or if she was that stupid. No excuse will ever bring those babies back and if it were my kid no excuse would be good enough for me.
I was thinking about my career at 22.

I finished nursing school and received a BSN. I had three years of nanny experience under my belt as I cared for three school aged children as a live in nanny housekeeper from my freshman year summer until I graduated in May.

I was able to take a full load with school and clinicals in nursing school and work a 45 hour a week job plus study a prety hard course of study. By the time I finished school I "KNEW" how to work and work hard.

Even with THAT experience, an good work ethic, and a very good education, I could not have cared for seven kids from eighteen months and three AND ran a full preschool program with second language, reading, math, science ets.

I wonder if she has been asked how CAN she do that? How can someone that young who doesn't appear to have any education be able to run a Montesorri like program and care for SO many small kids? Did it ever cross anyones mind to think "could that even BE done?"

I wonder if we will hear that someone was in the house or someone was supposed to be on their way to the house?

Anyway... at 22 you are too young to be left alone with that many young children. Working with that many kids in a center is different. You always have someone else you CAN call..... someone else who CAN be there to help in a crisis....... someone who is the boss of you on premise.

My staff assistant is 21 and she has had two years of Nan school and I wouldn't even DREAM of leaving her alone with six/seven kids. I don't even allow her to take them for a walk without me. She's awesome and I love her to pieces but I wouldn't dream of putting that kind of responsibility on her with so little training. She's not old enough to know to give her life to save the life of the kids no matter what. Until you are old enough to know that they always completely come before you..... you shouldn't be able to be alone with them. I'm certain 22 isn't old enough to know that.... educated or not... experienced or not... mother or not....... it's just too young.
nikia 11:48 AM 02-27-2011
I was thinking about my career at 22.

I finished nursing school and received a BSN. I had three years of nanny experience under my belt as I cared for three school aged children as a live in nanny housekeeper from my freshman year summer until I graduated in May.

I was able to take a full load with school and clinicals in nursing school and work a 45 hour a week job plus study a prety hard course of study. By the time I finished school I "KNEW" how to work and work hard.

Even with THAT experience, an good work ethic, and a very good education, I could not have cared for seven kids from eighteen months and three AND ran a full preschool program with second language, reading, math, science ets.

I wonder if she has been asked how CAN she do that? How can someone that young who doesn't appear to have any education be able to run a Montesorri like program and care for SO many small kids? Did it ever cross anyones mind to think "could that even BE done?"

I wonder if we will hear that someone was in the house or someone was supposed to be on their way to the house?

Anyway... at 22 you are too young to be left alone with that many young children. Working with that many kids in a center is different. You always have someone else you CAN call..... someone else who CAN be there to help in a crisis....... someone who is the boss of you on premise.

My staff assistant is 21 and she has had two years of Nan school and I wouldn't even DREAM of leaving her alone with six/seven kids. I don't even allow her to take them for a walk without me. She's awesome and I love her to pieces but I wouldn't dream of putting that kind of responsibility on her with so little training. She's not old enough to know to give her life to save the life of the kids no matter what. Until you are old enough to know that they always completely come before you..... you shouldn't be able to be alone with them. I'm certain 22 isn't old enough to know that.... educated or not... experienced or not... mother or not....... it's just too young.
Agree especially with the statement of knowing you would give your life for the life of a child.
Im 31 and on the days when I am filled to the max allowed by law its a lot, but I do it and I AM capable of doing it, the children are no less supervised or cared for than when I have 2 children in my care. I dont do a curriculum though, if I did I wouldnt take children under two I know my limit and I dont think I could give the proper care to babies and try and teach children. I do teach them, but Im not a preschool, they learn through play here and other ways. Does that make me less of a provider I dont think so. I treat my daycare kids like how I would want my children to be treated and that sets me apart from other daycares in my town. I always think would I want my child to do that when we are going about our day.
nannyde 12:06 PM 02-27-2011
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Grand...117009788.html

With all the footage on this I can't see where the provider has injuries, burns, or even soiled clothing. The press says she is hospitalized but all you can see on her is a little band-aid on one of her hands. The way she is moving her hands it doesn't look like she even has palm burns or finger burns.

It makes you wonder if she even tried to get the kids out.

I'm wondering if she is hospitalized because she is saying she is going to kill herself so they have her on suicide watch?
cillybean83 12:10 PM 02-27-2011
22 is too young to do anything that requires big decision making (IMO), I was very "mature for my age" (or so i was told), I got married at 22, became a mommy, and NO ONE questioned it, no one said "are you sure" no one, not even my parents took me aside and said "this is a BIG deal..are you ready, are you old enough, are you mature enough"

so, my 22 year old self thought of course I can be a wife and mom, or course I can be trusted with the care of 12 adults with developmental disabilities (that was my job, we had a 4 to 1 ratio handling adults with the most severe of developmental and mental disabilities)....

I'm almost 30 and when I look back all I can think is oh. my. god. who was stupid enough to let me do that job! What was I thinking getting MARRIED, I was a CHILD...sure I had a college degree but so what, genius kids get a college degree at 15, it doesn't make them grown...and who for the love of GOD thought it was FINE that I was a MOTHER?!!?!

I was too young, I was too immature, and looking back I know for a fact that I would have been a better wife and a better mother if I had gotten a few more years of life experience under my belt...you can't change the past though, you gotta do the best you can with what you got...but I can't imagine a parent saying to themselves "of course a 22 year old can be trusted with my child and 6 other children" nuh-uh no way...the whole thing is just an epic tragedy
nannyde 12:15 PM 02-27-2011
http://www.khou.com/video?id=116964933&sec=548547

cillybean83 12:25 PM 02-27-2011
god, this poor woman is ripping my heart out...
Cat Herder 12:46 PM 02-27-2011
That video was heart wrenching.....

This one hit home for me.

http://www.khou.com/home/Grandmother...117009788.html

and check out the graph on this..... Know provider includes parents and/or providers

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/fac...s/fatality.cfm
nannyde 03:05 PM 02-27-2011
http://info.sos.state.tx.us/fids/40_0747_1701-1.html

Texas ratios for registered home child care

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/fids/201006350-1.html

licensed
safechner 04:29 PM 02-27-2011
I don't know what to say but to me, we don't know the whole story for sure. I am not sure if she goes to the store and left all the children home alone. There must be someone else who watched the children while she was gone. Maybe we will find out for sure in a few more days or maybe not. It doesn't make sense to me about what happened.

In Texas, she is not allowed to watch more than 6 children included her own children. She can watch up to 12 children but she must have an assistant to work with her.

My heart goes out to families who lost their children in the fire.
registered but logged out 04:41 PM 02-27-2011
Jessica Tata, 22, is listed as the operator of the day care facility, Jackie’s Child Care, at 2810 Crest Park Lane. A state child care licensing official was on the scene speaking with Tata.

I haven't had a chance to read Texas licensing regs but I know one thing or sure. Under NO circumstances should a 22 year old be allowed to have that many children under her roof by herself.

It's just NOT old enough to have that much responsibility. Child care workers need TIME and maturity along with training and experience before they should be allowed to have THAT many kids by themselves.... especially kids three and under.

You need enough time on the planet to know in your heart that you would give your own life to save the life of any kid in your care.
Age has nothing to do with it. Most 22 year olds have graduated college and can be public school teachers, childcare providers, owners of childcare homes or centers, preschool teachers, etc. They can have just as much maturity as an older caregiver, considering that some people, no matter how old, have no common sense whatsoever. Older caregivers may have more years on them, but that doesn't mean they'd always do the right thing at the right time.
I'm 23 and fully capable of caring for children. I have a lot of experience, maturity, common sense, training, etc. Check your licensing rules and regulations; a 22 yr old has just as much legal rights as anyone else to operate a home daycare. Don't condemn someone just because they are younger than you. Someone your age could just as easily be negilent if that is, in fact, the case here. By the way, I also have enough sense to know I personally could not properly care for 7-9 children age 3 and under. However, I could easily care for that many children aged 3-5 years. No one, regardless of age, should be trying to care for 7-9 children age 3 & under alone. That is one of the issues, not the age of the caregiver. SOME 22 year olds should not be operating a daycare or caring for children, but that is SOME, not ALL. SOME older caregivers should not be operating a daycare... it all boils down to the individual and their abilities. Not age.
My Daycare 04:45 PM 02-27-2011
My DH's 1st thought was that she left them home alone and while she was gone, something bad happened. Then she started a fire to cover it up. I wonder if they are going to do autopsies?

I don't know what I think, but I hope that they can figure it out.
nannyde 05:07 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
My DH's 1st thought was that she left them home alone and while she was gone, something bad happened. Then she started a fire to cover it up. I wonder if they are going to do autopsies?

I don't know what I think, but I hope that they can figure it out.
yikes
I didn't think about that.
Former Teacher 05:08 PM 02-27-2011
I searched for their report. Another sad thing to add to this: they were written up because of no fire extinguisher

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...spx?fid=608389
snowball 05:31 PM 02-27-2011
This video broke my heart. I can not even begin to imagine what the families are going through.

mickey2 05:31 PM 02-27-2011
Something is just not right! I do not know what it is! But in my heart there is so much more to this story. I am still waiting for ALL the details!

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of these babies.
QualiTcare 08:40 PM 02-27-2011
i just wonder what possessed 7 families (or however many families there were) to leave their children at a home daycare ran by a 22 year old who doesn't appear to be a mother, but i could be wrong about that.

i WISH i could've found someone i trusted to send my children to a home daycare, but i just wasn't comfortable leaving them with ONE person who i didn't know - ALONE. i think home daycare is better than center care IF you can trust the provider, but i chose a center because i just couldn't trust a stranger being alone with my children, and the center i chose had wide open classrooms - no doors. point being - i can't believe so many people put their faith in this young woman, and i wonder if she had really low lates because i see no other reason a mother would do that.

interesting theory that something bad happened and she started a fire to cover it up - totally disgusting and possible.

the grandmother in the video was right - she should've thrown them out the window at least. i agree, nannyde, she should've had some rips/tears/smoke or SOME sign that she'd tried like HELL to get those kids out of the fire. i'd hide my face too if i were her.
nannyde 03:37 AM 02-28-2011
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_daycare_center_fire

HOUSTON – A woman who ran a Houston home day care center where a fire killed four children last week will face a charge that carries up to a decade in prison, prosecutors announced Sunday.

Jessica Tata, 22, will be charged with reckless injury to a child involving serious bodily injury, said Harris County District Attorney's Office spokeswoman Donna Hawkins. The charge was being filed Sunday night, Hawkins said.
Cat Herder 03:58 AM 02-28-2011
Well, now we know nobody else worked there and they now have enough evidence to charge her....getting that court order was work, you know.

The media blackout should be here in 5....4.....3....2.....

I hope those parents get their answers so they can greive.... She should at least give them that.
dEHmom 04:36 AM 02-28-2011
so many posts i didn't read them all, but did anyone else hear the one mom say it was her daughter's 2nd day of daycare????!!!!!!!!

OH MY.......
Tags:death at daycare, fire, home alone, leaving children alone, supervision, tata
1 2 3 
Reply Up