Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Menu Question
Leigh 09:46 AM 05-02-2016
Are you required to submit menus a week in advance to your food program sponsor? I have never been asked to do this until very recently. It's a huge PITA for me, because I don't follow those menus-I make what's on sale that week, what's available in my fridge/freezer, what I picked up at the Farmer's Market on Saturday.

I pulled out my agreement with my sponsor, and there is NO mention of this. I received a notice that I was out of compliance for not submitting my menus ahead of time, but if there is nothing in our agreement saying this must be done, could I really be out of compliance?

When I search online for this information, I see that some programs ENCOURAGE participants to plan meals in advance, but haven't seen any other programs that REQUIRE it.

How does yours work?
Sunshine74 09:53 AM 05-02-2016
I was told we have to have it posted, but the only time I had to submit anything was right at the beginning so they knew I knew what I was doing.
Josiegirl 10:00 AM 05-02-2016
We're supposed to have ours posted as well, although whenever my sponsor comes, I'm lucky to have 2-3 days figured out and she says that's fine. I told her things change so quickly it's hard to keep a rigid menu, she understands completely because she was a provider for years before she got this job.
In so many ways, having to submit a menu beforehand is kind of ridiculous. Then you have to submit attendance after, along with any changes to the menu?
Leigh 10:06 AM 05-02-2016
I do have to have what I served that day posted, and I do. They're telling me that I have to submit to them by Friday what I plan to serve the next week. I have a new rep. from the food program, and she and I do not see eye to eye.
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 05-02-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Are you required to submit menus a week in advance to your food program sponsor? I have never been asked to do this until very recently. It's a huge PITA for me, because I don't follow those menus-I make what's on sale that week, what's available in my fridge/freezer, what I picked up at the Farmer's Market on Saturday.

I pulled out my agreement with my sponsor, and there is NO mention of this. I received a notice that I was out of compliance for not submitting my menus ahead of time, but if there is nothing in our agreement saying this must be done, could I really be out of compliance?

When I search online for this information, I see that some programs ENCOURAGE participants to plan meals in advance, but haven't seen any other programs that REQUIRE it.

How does yours work?
I would request that your sponsor SHOW YOU where in the rules it says this.

The food program is a federally funded program with specific rules but I know that many sponsoring agencies either have their own interpretation or their own rules and if that is the case, I'd request that they show you where in your agreement it addresses menus and posting them
Leigh 10:22 AM 05-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would request that your sponsor SHOW YOU where in the rules it says this.

The food program is a federally funded program with specific rules but I know that many sponsoring agencies either have their own interpretation or their own rules and if that is the case, I'd request that they show you where in your agreement it addresses menus and posting them
I just sent them an email this morning asking them to send me an updated manual showing me where this rule is, telling them that MY copy doesn't require this.
sharlan 11:36 AM 05-02-2016
Nope. I send mine in at the end of the month only.
NillaWafers 11:40 AM 05-02-2016
I haven't been told to do meals in advance, and it says only centers have to have it done in the manual.

I still plan in advance cus parents like to see it, and it makes things easier on me.
organicdclady 11:53 AM 05-02-2016
I have never been told to submit my meals ahead of time. I record what I served daily and which children were present. That is crazy, things change all daily. Although I do plan meals out before I go to the market on Sunday's, I can't imagine having to stick to it 100% There are too many factors that go into daily meal prep. What if you have drop ins you didn't account for and don't have enough of one component? What if you find your bananas are ripening too quickly to serve them on Friday so you change them out for the strawberries you were planning on serving today? That kind of thing happens way too often for me to be willing to abide by submitting and following meals a week in advance.
I am eager to hear what kind of response you got from your monitor.
Leigh 02:36 PM 05-02-2016
This was their response. Does anyone else NOT see where it says that menus must be sent to the sponsor by Friday? Does anyone else NOT see where it says that I must post menus a week ahead of time? This is NOT in my manual, but in their manual that is "under revision". This is not available to any of the food program participants at this time, apparently.

67:42:03:13. Nutrition requirements. If a child is in family day care during the home's regular meal time, the child must be offered a meal which consists of a variety of foods which supplies at least one-third of the child's daily nutritional needs. Nutritious midmorning, midafternoon, and evening snacks must be served between meals as long as there are at least two hours between each meal and snack. Breakfast may be substituted for the midmorning snack. The provider shall prepare and post menus of the meals available at the home for the week and shall record on the menu the food actually served. The provider shall retain the menus for a period of six months after the week for which it was prepared.
Infants must be fed according to their individual schedule and must be held while bottle feeding.
Source: 4 SDR 2, effective July 25, 1977; 7 SDR 66, 7 SDR 89, effective July 1, 1981; 15 SDR 162, effective May 4, 1989; 21 SDR 206, effective June 4, 1995; 31 SDR 40, effective September 29, 2004; 39 SDR 220, effective June 27, 2013.
General Authority: SDCL 26-6-16.
Law Implemented: SDCL 26-6-16.
NillaWafers 02:40 PM 05-02-2016
It just says you have to keep the menus for 6 months. So I'd reply, oh so I have to plan each week and keep them for 6 months?

It sure doesn't say you need to check in weekly.
Unregistered 02:45 PM 05-02-2016
Hmm. My sponsor requires three YEARS of menus and meal counts to be available.
Leigh 02:50 PM 05-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hmm. My sponsor requires three YEARS of menus and meal counts to be available.
But, not in ADVANCE, right? LOL
Unregistered 02:59 PM 05-02-2016
Ha. Not yet!
Leigh 03:02 PM 05-02-2016
I have a friend in the legislature who is checking into this law that they quoted. I truly believe that they're just being jerks.
Unregistered 04:41 PM 05-02-2016
I am required to have the the daily menu posted for families by that morning prior to families arriving so they can see what is being served. My food rep encourages posting weekly menus to make it easier to plan, but not required as long as that day's menu is posted.Then at the end of the month I turn in all the menus along with my attendance to my food program rep. I agree with pp about asking your food rep to show you where in the USDA guidelines it says that it must be turned in the week before.
284878 06:53 AM 05-03-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
This was their response. Does anyone else NOT see where it says that menus must be sent to the sponsor by Friday? Does anyone else NOT see where it says that I must post menus a week ahead of time? This is NOT in my manual, but in their manual that is "under revision". This is not available to any of the food program participants at this time, apparently.

67:42:03:13. Nutrition requirements. If a child is in family day care during the home's regular meal time, the child must be offered a meal which consists of a variety of foods which supplies at least one-third of the child's daily nutritional needs. Nutritious midmorning, midafternoon, and evening snacks must be served between meals as long as there are at least two hours between each meal and snack. Breakfast may be substituted for the midmorning snack. The provider shall prepare and post menus of the meals available at the home for the week and shall record on the menu the food actually served. The provider shall retain the menus for a period of six months after the week for which it was prepared.
Infants must be fed according to their individual schedule and must be held while bottle feeding.
Source: 4 SDR 2, effective July 25, 1977; 7 SDR 66, 7 SDR 89, effective July 1, 1981; 15 SDR 162, effective May 4, 1989; 21 SDR 206, effective June 4, 1995; 31 SDR 40, effective September 29, 2004; 39 SDR 220, effective June 27, 2013.
General Authority: SDCL 26-6-16.
Law Implemented: SDCL 26-6-16.
I would ask, how can you follow a rule that is not a rule. Since this "rule" is not a rule in the handbook that they provided you with and you signed agreeing to, they can't expect you to know about it or follow it. And for those that they say are doing this without an update, I say shame on them for not questioning or reading their copy of the handbook.
284878 08:18 AM 05-03-2016
I fought a different program, they sent out letters saying that I was required by law to do this weekly form. When I confronted them about the letter, they admitted they worded it wrong and would not send it again. They did mention the a good number of local providers did compile to the letter and many on a local FB thought it was a law and admitted they compiled.
This is most likely this is what is happening, I would continue to stand your ground and say you have read what they sent you and they must of sent you the wrong section as it is not in this one, please send the correct section
I would also question would they feel it is right to be forced to follow a law that was not a law yet. (like getting a ticket because the state is thinking about changing the speed limit)
Tags:food program
Reply Up