Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Done. Giving 2 Weeks Notice Today, How Should I Do It?
meli829 10:02 AM 02-21-2011
After much deliberation I am closing my daycare. I am mentally and physically exhausted and pregnant on top of it all. I'm too timid a person to enforce my policies and so I end up being taken advantage of constantly and no matter how clear I make my policies, they aren't respected. I'm done. I know things will be tight for us financially, but the extra money is not worth putting myself and my daughter through this. I find I spend so much time tending to the other kids that I barely get time with my daughter as is and I know if I were not closing, I would regret it some day as I cannot ever get this time back with her (she's 9 months).

I'm sick today, and my husband is home today for half the day as he came home to help out, but we have been discussing this for quite a few months and I have finally decided that I will give them two weeks notice effective today.

I have three families, two of them will pick up at 3:30-4:00 so I don't have much time left to decide how to do this. Should I just tell them verbally, have something in writing or what? I'm dreading this so much, and I know there is no way I can say it that will make it easier on them.

Any advice?

Thanks
marniewon 10:05 AM 02-21-2011
Yes, both. Have something printed up and while you are handing it to them, explain what is said in the letter.
kendallina 10:06 AM 02-21-2011
Make sure that you give them verbal as well as written notice. Also, do you have a list of area providers to give them? Two weeks is not a lot of time for them to find someone, although it is manageable.

Enjoy your time with your daughter...
meli829 10:15 AM 02-21-2011
I thought two weeks would be enough, I really don't know that I can do this for more than that.

I'm not sure how to even start the letter, can anyone help with the wording?
marniewon 10:27 AM 02-21-2011
Dear Parents,

I have really enjoyed getting to know, and care for, your child(ren).

I regret to inform you that as of [whatever date], XYZ Daycare will be closing.

Listed below are phone numbers for other providers in the area and our CCR&R.

I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
NAME

I'm sure others will be able to make it sound a little more friendly, but this is a start.
SilverSabre25 10:29 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Dear Parents,

I have really enjoyed getting to know, and care for, your child(ren).

I regret to inform you that as of [whatever date], XYZ Daycare will be closing.

Listed below are phone numbers for other providers in the area and our CCR&R.

I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
NAME

I'm sure others will be able to make it sound a little more friendly, but this is a start.
That sounds good to me (although I don't know what CCR&R is) and about what I had come up with.

OP, good luck--i can't imagine being pg again when I had a 9 month old, let alone doing daycare on top of it! Enjoy your time with your daughter.
marniewon 10:39 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That sounds good to me (although I don't know what CCR&R is) and about what I had come up with.
I think it stands for Child Care Resource and Referral. Around here (and I'm not sure how far it extends) parents can call them and get names and numbers of providers in their area.
Little People 10:30 AM 02-21-2011
Dear___ It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you that as of _________ I will not be able to provide care for ______ anymore. Attached is a copy of the licensed providers in our area to help with your search. I want you to know that I truly enjoyed caring for your child during our time together. I wish you and your family all the luck in the future.
Sincerely,
______

Maybe something like this.
jen 11:31 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by meli829:
I thought two weeks would be enough, I really don't know that I can do this for more than that.

Two weeks is fine...don't stress yourself over it. Unless you have something else in your contract, most people wouldn't expect more than that.

Enjoy! I know I would have loved to have been able to do what you're doing! Good for you!
kendallina 12:52 PM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by meli829:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't enough. If you're done, you're done and it's fine to give two weeks notice. I guess I was just referring to maybe having some names/numbers of other providers to give them.

So, how did it go??
meli829 08:25 AM 02-22-2011
I didn't have time to type up the letter by the time they came to pick up so I didn't end up telling them yesterday but I will be telling them today. I'm soo nervous!! I've told one of the families and they were so nice about it and were supportive but I'm not so sure the other families will be the same, specially one of my families they are a bit uptight. I've also extended it to three weeks notice but I'm wondering now if I should change it back to 2? Thanks so much for the help with writing the letter as well, it really helped!
meli829 01:22 PM 02-22-2011
Well I've told them and I am SO relieved. All the families were so great and so supportive, and I feel so happy that it turned out this way. Now I just need to get through the next three weeks.
Tags:backbone, close daycare, close daycare - sample letter, overwhelmed
Reply Up