Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom That Goes on Maternity Leave...
Unregistered 06:11 AM 04-02-2009
I just started home daycare a few months ago and one of my moms is expecting in Nov. I was wondering how payment usually works with a Maternity leave? Do you usually still charge and if so full price or half price??

Here's my issue...I only have one full time child right now and she is temporary because the mom is only filling in a teaching substitute position for someone that is on maternity leave. I don't think she will need me after this school year ends.

The other mom I do daycare for has a boy and I watch him part time only (2 full days and 1 half day) and the mom is expecting in November. When she goes out on Maternity leave I lose daycare money unless I bring in another child, however I do not want to overbook myself for when she comes back AND with a new baby (I have 4 children of my own so I like to keep the home daycare on a small scale). But I feel weird asking for money when her son isn't going to be here. So I was just wondering how other daycares work and if it's normal to collect money when the mom is out for 6 weeks?
Unregistered 08:20 AM 04-06-2009
I know of a lot of places that charge some type of rate to hold the spot for the child. I only provide care for 2 families. One went on maternity leave for 12 weeks, but the child came part time during that time. Has the mom said if she's going to keep the older child at home during her leave? If you are going to charge to hold the spot, then I would suggest charging 1/2 the current rate for the duration of the leave and get the money upfront. If you feel funny doing that, then suggest to the mom that she send her son as she would if she's working. That would give her a break and time with the new baby, give you income, and help keep the child on a regular schedule routine (the kid's world is going to be turned upside down, and this could help with the transition of a new family member).

Sorry, I guess that was kind of a rambling answer! Hope you were able to get some ideas from it though.
Unregistered 11:05 AM 04-08-2009
I have the exact situation right now. One of my moms is on maternity leave right now. She is still bringing her 3 year old to me 2-3 days a week, and she is paying , me full price. One reason for this is....she has a guaranteed spot for her new baby with me at the end of the 6 weeks. I should not go without income for 6 weeks, and still hold an infant spot at the same time. I get calls weekly for people looking for infant care, and if she wants to keep the children together, it is a small price to pay. Before I stayed home, I had to pay my childcare provider full time for 2 kids, while I was on Mat. leave with my 3rd. I only dropped the kids off long enough to get some rest and spend some one on one w/ the new baby. But I knew I wanted my kids together and infant spots are hard to find. I do think if she keeps the one child home, you may want to charge 1/2 price. Every situation is different, just talk to the mom. I have another mom due in Nov. and I watch her other 2 kids. I have asked what their plans are for the new baby over 3 weeks ago, and they still havn't gotten back to me. I will replace them by June, if they havn't made up their minds.
lilbiddapopcorn 04:41 AM 04-09-2009
Are you sure she won't be bringing the older child? It would give her some time to tend to the new baby without the older child feeling like things are suddenly becoming very unpredictable because of their new sibling. I would try communicating with her more so you both know what to expect after baby comes and so you can both reach a reasonable agreement as far as holding spots and payment.

Hope everything works out for you!
tymaboy 12:39 PM 04-09-2009
I offer a temporary leave holding fee. Some places charge the full week some only half week rate- I do neither my temporary holding fee (up to 3 months) is only $50 a month, enough for me to know that they are serious about bring their child back, I also do not refund any of the holding fee back as it is securing their childs position. I also have a regular holding fee for new kids & that is $75 a month also nonrefundable. The parent always has their choose as to pay the fee or take their chance & hope that you did not fill the childs spot while they were gone.
Unregistered 03:58 AM 04-23-2009
I charge 1/2 rate for holding the spot during maternity leave....and they can bring the child 2 days per week on that rate.

Parents need to remember that we are not only holding the spot for the older child, but also for the new baby.....When I think about it, I hold a spot for free for months for a "new" baby.
Ems_mom 10:11 AM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have the exact situation right now. One of my moms is on maternity leave right now. She is still bringing her 3 year old to me 2-3 days a week, and she is paying , me full price. One reason for this is....she has a guaranteed spot for her new baby with me at the end of the 6 weeks. I should not go without income for 6 weeks, and still hold an infant spot at the same time. I get calls weekly for people looking for infant care, and if she wants to keep the children together, it is a small price to pay. Before I stayed home, I had to pay my childcare provider full time for 2 kids, while I was on Mat. leave with my 3rd. I only dropped the kids off long enough to get some rest and spend some one on one w/ the new baby. But I knew I wanted my kids together and infant spots are hard to find. I do think if she keeps the one child home, you may want to charge 1/2 price. Every situation is different, just talk to the mom. I have another mom due in Nov. and I watch her other 2 kids. I have asked what their plans are for the new baby over 3 weeks ago, and they still havn't gotten back to me. I will replace them by June, if they havn't made up their minds.

Exactly! The Mom that I have right now is due the end of May, I have her two other kids and have since there were born, She will bring her kids part time even though she has 3months off. She did the same when she had #2. It worked out well. She gets to keep the spots and get some rest and the kids get to keep some nomalsy(sp) in their routine. Otherwise there is going to be a big fuss when mom does go back to work because they are used to being home with her and you have the seperation anxitiy all over. And even better you get to still be paid.

Personaly I do not hold spots unless it is a new sibling and the other kids stay during mat leave. i.e-teacher for summer break. I can not afford to hold a spots for kids.

Hope the Helps
Amanda
Unregistered 07:52 AM 09-10-2010
This is too all providers in Minnesota

Do you hold spots for infants? For how Long? What if you have their siblings? Do you charge to hold on maternity leave or start before when they ask if their is a spot?
Michael 11:59 AM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is too all providers in Minnesota

Do you hold spots for infants? For how Long? What if you have their siblings? Do you charge to hold on maternity leave or start before when they ask if their is a spot?
More threads on holding spots: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=holding+spot

Consider registering on our forum!
DCMomOf3 12:03 PM 09-10-2010
I think I have been lucky and my families who are expecting plan to keep bringing their dck's here to keep the routine up and to get more one-on-one (and sleep) with the newborns. I am interested in all the resoponses though because they can always change their minds.
momma2girls 05:34 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I offer a temporary leave holding fee. Some places charge the full week some only half week rate- I do neither my temporary holding fee (up to 3 months) is only $50 a month, enough for me to know that they are serious about bring their child back, I also do not refund any of the holding fee back as it is securing their childs position. I also have a regular holding fee for new kids & that is $75 a month also nonrefundable. The parent always has their choose as to pay the fee or take their chance & hope that you did not fill the childs spot while they were gone.
I used to only do a 2 week dep. but I had to change that in my contract, after I held a spot for 10 months for a family that decided a week before she was going to start coming here, my hrs. would never work for her!! Can you believe that?? I turned down probably 20-30 infants, because I was holding a spot for theirs!! I was so mad!! Now I have 1 week per month to hold a spot, such as maternity.
Tags:holding spot, infant care, maternity leave, minnesota
Reply Up