Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Call/No Show Fee...
Former Teacher 08:21 AM 04-29-2009
I have a question. While I am no longer working in a child care center ( thank God but that's ANOTHER story! ) I like to read up on other centers policies, particularly home centers since I am now a nanny. This question really doesn't concern me however I am just curious.

I have read several home daycare centers whose policy is that the parent pays regardless of whether the child is there or not. I understand that. What I don't understand (nor IMO agree with) is that some centers charge a no call/no show fee should a parent not call to say that their child will be absent etc.. If the parent is already paying for that space it is there to use it as they wish. I understand that some might only have 1 child a certain day and wouldn't want to be kept waiting (one caregivers words) but you are being paid anyway regardless. You should wait. IMO
Unregistered 06:46 PM 05-06-2009
I would imagine it is because a provider has to prepare for a creative event or situation. I know when preparing a group event I want to know exactly what I need to purchase and get ready for. I would be VERY helpful if a parent was curtious enough to let me know that their child was a no show especially if I were counting on that child to pair up with another. We have to adapt to the situation but parents need to be active in helping their daycare provide for their child's needs every day.
Former Teacher 09:24 AM 05-07-2009
that yes a parent should call just out of courtesy to inform a provider or a daycare whether or not the child would be there. However I do not agree that a parent would be charged EXTRA just because of rudeness on their part. The parent is paying for the space anyway.
Unregistered 05:14 PM 05-08-2009
I watch 3 children from the same family (2 are siblings other 1 is a cousin) Normally they are here around 6:15 am until 5pm. It happened more than once when I got early and nobody called to say the children would not be coming. The grandpa has custody of 1 and his daughter has the 2 siblings) they leave in the same apt building and normally the grandpa brings the kids. It's really frustrating getting up early and preparing breakfast and then they don't show up. I did add a no show fee earlier this year, and now they call if the children will not be here. I deserve a little respect.
Former Teacher 05:31 AM 05-09-2009
While I totally agree that yes you deserve the respect, I feel that by charging the parents MORE for the lack of calling is absorb. I believe that parents are paying for their spot whether they use it or not. Yes I understand the need to start your day etc. However as far as things would go to waste such as breakfast, then perhaps you shouldn't start things like that until the children arrive. As far as the fact that you have to get up early well that's the joys of being a business owner.
tymaboy 07:13 AM 05-09-2009
I have a no show fee also but I do not charge an additional fee on top of it. I had a family that was really good at this or would be late. I had to redo my policy & added the no show fee & an inconvenience fee for when they showed up late. They would be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours late. When I redid my policy I put in there that if they where not here within an hour of their scheduled time then I would assume they were not coming & they would be charged for the day & if they showed up after that I would not take them.

Centers & in home care are totally different cuz at a center someone is always there in case a parent & child arrives. With in home we do not have employees & schedule outings according to nap time so if a parent shows up late or unexpected we may not be home - out for a walk, park,store or some other field trip.
Unregistered 04:16 PM 05-10-2009
Yes, I know getting up early is part of my job. But, if you had a day off, and could sleep in until 7/7:30 instead of 5:30 wouldn't you want to?
I treat people like I would want to be treated. I don't expect more of others than I do of myself. If my children were in daycare, I would call the provider/center to inform them if my kids would be late or absent. It's just common courtesy. If I have to add a fee to instill this on the parents, then so be. However, I failed to mention, that I charge 1/2 the daily rate if the kids are not here.
Unregistered 03:35 AM 05-19-2009
Unfortunately, many parents do not have respect for their providers. If some parents treated their employers like they do their providers, they would not have a job.
lilbiddapopcorn 10:14 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Unfortunately, many parents do not have respect for their providers. If some parents treated their employers like they do their providers, they would not have a job.
This is so true.
Allie 05:41 AM 06-23-2009
As a provider there is nothing worse for me to wait all morning for a child that doesn't show up. It's not about the money...it's about my program and the complete and utter disregard for my schedule and time.

If we have planned an outing, it's ruined and we don't get to go. If I've planned an activity based on the arrival time, it's thrown off and the rest of my day is in shambles. It disrupts the other children when we're just "waiting around". It messes up naps, activities, lunchtime, playtime, outside time...I could go on and on. I've missed walks, park trips, puppet shows at the library and one trip to the museum that I paid someone to accompany me all because a parent was too damn lazy to pick up the phone and let me know they will be late or not coming.

Practically everyone has a cell and everyone has a phone at home so there is NO excuse IMO. It takes two seconds to call, email or text me that you aren't coming or will be more than 20 minutes late of your expected arrival time.

Personally I don't charge a fee BUT I do let the parents know exactly what their laziness has done for my day and how it affects the other children.
Former Teacher 04:59 PM 06-23-2009
but I would HATE it when my former director would plan a field trip for the kids, of any age group, and she would wait for the parents to bring their child. We would have to plan to leave the center at 9:30 yet put 9:00 on the permission slip to make sure all the parents would be there. Then my former director would get mad if we are leaving at 9:45 (should've left at 9:30) only to have a phone call from a parent saying they would be there. Then she would wait. She would be furious because WE would be late. The one or 2 times we didn't wait and a parent would bring their child in a 10:15 with a sack lunch, they would be mad at US because we didn't wait, even though the slip THEY READ AND SIGNED said 9:00.

Like I said in my title, I maybe cruel but life goes on. If you plan on a trip, or a walk, you shouldn't deprive the other children in care because of rudeness on the parents. Now something major like a play or museum when they are expecting more then yes you could call and change reservations and just say you are now bringing such and such number. But I think its not fair to revolve your day and the children's day around the inconsiderate parents...JMO
Unregistered 10:17 AM 06-24-2009
I don't have no show fee as it hasn't been an issue. Parents do pay even if their child is not here. If they decide not to use it, it's up to them. If they are taking a placement in my daycare, they need to pay for the whole thing.

As far as parents throwing off the schedule when not showing or showing late and not giving respect to call, that's a tough one. It is difficult. I really don't let it stop my scheduled activities. If we are going on a field trip, I give them written notice of the trip and departure/return time. If they are not here, I typically wait about 10 minutes and go.

For walks and parks: I have a sign I post on my door that states we are on a walk or at the park (with directions to the park) and if I have waited about 10 minutes after their normal arrival time, we go.

I do have a late pick-up fee that's $1.00/min late. I don't have issues with late pick-ups. If someone is going to be late and it's out of their control they respect my time and policies and call ahead. Usually, the fee is waived if it's not a normal occurance and if it's unavoidable.
Unregistered 08:18 PM 08-14-2009
Yes, I know getting up early is part of my job. But, if you had a day off, and could sleep in until 7/7:30 instead of 5:30 wouldn't you want to?
I treat people like I would want to be treated. I don't expect more of others than I do of myself. If my children were in daycare, I would call the provider/center to inform them if my kids would be late or absent. It's just common courtesy. If I have to add a fee to instill this on the parents, then so be. However, I failed to mention, that I charge 1/2 the daily rate if the kids are not here.
All this wining is inane. You people are trying to double charge for services. If they don't show up and you get paid, forget about it. Don't charge them am additional fee because you didn't have to work. That is idiocy.

You get paid to provide a service, not have convenience for yourself. Wake up, cook the pancakes, and eat them yourself if no one shows up. Otherwise, go work on an assembly line and you can have a reasonable set schedule.
Unregistered 07:34 AM 08-15-2009
All this wining is inane. You people are trying to double charge for services. If they don't show up and you get paid, forget about it. Don't charge them am additional fee because you didn't have to work. That is idiocy.

You get paid to provide a service, not have convenience for yourself. Wake up, cook the pancakes, and eat them yourself if no one shows up. Otherwise, go work on an assembly line and you can have a reasonable set schedule.
No one wants the money, they want the parents to be considerate enough to call if they are going to be late or not show up. Unfortunately a lot of people only think about the way they negatively affect other people when it hits them in the pocket book. The inane whining comes when we wait and then leave for a field trip and then am welcomed home with nasty messages on the answering machine about how pissed someone is that we left without them.

I don't charge a fee, but I do carry on as though I'm not expecting the person. But some providers have been burned enough that they feel the need to offer some financial encouragement for politeness and common courtesy and if they want to be compensated for being inconvenienced so be it. Us people like our schedules as reasonable as we can keep them.
AmandasFCC 05:28 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
but I would HATE it when my former director would plan a field trip for the kids, of any age group, and she would wait for the parents to bring their child. We would have to plan to leave the center at 9:30 yet put 9:00 on the permission slip to make sure all the parents would be there. Then my former director would get mad if we are leaving at 9:45 (should've left at 9:30) only to have a phone call from a parent saying they would be there. Then she would wait. She would be furious because WE would be late. The one or 2 times we didn't wait and a parent would bring their child in a 10:15 with a sack lunch, they would be mad at US because we didn't wait, even though the slip THEY READ AND SIGNED said 9:00.

Like I said in my title, I maybe cruel but life goes on. If you plan on a trip, or a walk, you shouldn't deprive the other children in care because of rudeness on the parents. Now something major like a play or museum when they are expecting more then yes you could call and change reservations and just say you are now bringing such and such number. But I think its not fair to revolve your day and the children's day around the inconsiderate parents...JMO

I agree 100%. If the parents have been notified of an outing or something for that day, I don't think I'd wait. they know when they're supposed to be here. They signed the form. I'm not ruining the other kids' days because you're irresponsible. The parents of my daycare kids don't get refunds for the days that they are no-shows (luckily, since I'm new, I haven't had any no-shows yet but I'm sure it'll come). This is stated in my policy booklet. In the case of an outing that they had to pay for, they wouldn't get that refunded either. Period.

As for charging an inconvenience fee ... I dunno about that. But then I also don't make parents pay to hold a space unless their schedules are irratic, like so many other places do. I tend to agree with the statement that they are already paying for the day anyway so there's no sense adding an additional fee to that.

I understand that it's a huge pain in the butt to get up early when you don't have to - I'd be furious to be getting up at 5:30 only to have someone not show up, and the parents would definitely hear about it the following day. But still, you're getting paid for the day anyway, so if it were me I'd just be glad to have a quieter day and take the free money as it is without adding another fee on top of it.

.... I hope that makes sense ..... lol
Former Teacher 03:31 PM 08-19-2009
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I agree 100%. If the parents have been notified of an outing or something for that day, I don't think I'd wait. they know when they're supposed to be here. They signed the form. I'm not ruining the other kids' days because you're irresponsible. The parents of my daycare kids don't get refunds for the days that they are no-shows (luckily, since I'm new, I haven't had any no-shows yet but I'm sure it'll come). This is stated in my policy booklet. In the case of an outing that they had to pay for, they wouldn't get that refunded either. Period.

As for charging an inconvenience fee ... I dunno about that. But then I also don't make parents pay to hold a space unless their schedules are irratic, like so many other places do. I tend to agree with the statement that they are already paying for the day anyway so there's no sense adding an additional fee to that.

I understand that it's a huge pain in the butt to get up early when you don't have to - I'd be furious to be getting up at 5:30 only to have someone not show up, and the parents would definitely hear about it the following day. But still, you're getting paid for the day anyway, so if it were me I'd just be glad to have a quieter day and take the free money as it is without adding another fee on top of it.

.... I hope that makes sense ..... lol

Amanda, you sound like a great provider. True I too would be upset about the getting up early etc, but hey I agree, take advantage of it!

My beef about the no show/no call deal is that, a provider is already being paid for their time whether or not a parent uses it. I have read some handbooks online that are quite funny about this. A provider would say something like ok your contract states your child is to be here from 7-3 etc. After 3:00 you are to pick up your child. No running errands, going to the gym, this is MY TIME, yadda yadda (not in so many words!). Funny thing is, you can not control that. Parents are paying for it. IMO the parent can use their slot anyway they want. Do I agree with dropping off a 2 month old so the mother can go back to bed? NO of course not. Do I agree with the father dropping off his 4 year old at 630 because the child woke up early? Again no of course not. However it was my job and it paid my bills.

Naturally like many if not all providers I do agree its a matter of respect to the caregiver that should be given should a child not be there. I have called many a parent in my time in a center just because I was worried or we were overstaffed etc. Would it tick me off had I known that Johnny wouldn't be in at all, that I couldn't have gone home at 12:30 instead of 6:30? Yes. There again, parents are paying for the slots. And your bills (used to be mine as well! )
mac60 06:24 PM 08-19-2009
I charge whether the child is here or not. I also set my weekly rate based on the times/hours the parents say they are going to need me. I will charge a little less for someone who only needs 8 hours of care verses someone who needs 10 hours of care. Like 6:30 to 3:15. If a parent decides to go grocery shopping and run errands and doesn't pick up till 4:30, I am basically caring for their child for free, that last 1.25 hours, as I based their rate on the hours they said they would need me, which was 6:30 to 3:15, not till 4:30 so they can go do their thing. Hope that made sense.

I still agree that parents need to pick their kids up when they are done with work, and take them to run their errands and shopping. I do have stated in my handbook I am here to care for yor child while you are at work.
SimpleMom 08:01 AM 08-20-2009
For myself, it's not about the money. I don't currently charge a no show fee, but I'm not against it. It's more or less the lack of knowing who's coming or going. It's hard to know and if I don't have anyone scheduled for the day until 9 am I really like to know if they will be late. That way I can get in a trip to the grocery store or run an errand for one of my own children that may be easier to do, etc.

The fee would be more for keeping parents accountable for letting me know in advance that they will be late or not here at all.

I used to work in a center, too. I never understood the business aspects and some of the policies and it used to bother me as well--until I opened up my own daycare. Now, I get it a little more.
SimpleMom 08:11 AM 08-20-2009

Not to be rude, BUT, the only whining I have seen is on the part of having to pay an extra fee for being disrespectful. Every business has their wierd unexplainable fees. Get over that and follow the policies agreed upon and, yes, life does go on.

The 'whining' as you call it is only people trying to explain an answer to a question they were asked about. It's a cold/hot question. Not much of a middle ground on the issue that's all.
mac60 08:19 AM 08-20-2009
I don't charge a fee either if they don't call. I don't even charge fees if their late. But in the end, it is the respect issue as a whole that bothers me.
sweetcinna 09:50 AM 08-20-2009
I also do not charge a no call/no show fee. I charge a flat rate whether your child is here or not, I also have set times for breakfast, lunch and snacks, if your child is not here during those times......well then its up to you to feed them. I have turned parents away for this.....example, Breakfast is from 7am to 8:30am, if you bring your child and they have not been fed, then they don't eat till snack or you need to take your child home or wherever and feed them. I don't do outings cause i do take infants but when i worked in the center and there was an outing planned, we did not wait, the child that was brought late spent that time in another class.
Unregistered 05:20 PM 06-11-2015
It is not about the money as many have said but it is about the money you will be spending on extra staff that you have scheduled based on the adult-child ratios. For example, in the state of Iowa you need to have certain amount of children with one adult so I have scheduled two or three teachers and I don't need one of them since the parent never called it messes up the teacher's day and screws up their routine because now I have to send them home. So yes there should be a no call/no show fee because it promotes the parent's to be responsible and it helps the daycare staff plan out the schedule along with their programming. It also creates less frustration with the staff... I mean if you are a teacher and you are here at work would you really want to go back home? You have basically wasted your day and wasted money on gas because of a few parent's irresponsibility. It also makes you angry at your supervisor and wonder why couldn't they have contacted you that they don't need you before you start your shift?
Unregistered 05:48 PM 06-11-2015
I don't charge a no call/no show fee, however I have it stated that if the child is no call/ no show by a certain time the child will be marked absent for the day. This has eliminated attendance issues. I had to add this policy when I had to close because no children showed up for the day. This occurred several times where I would be waiting til noon for a child to show up (some called some didn't). Waste of breakfast, snack, and lunch that were prepared. I'm on the food program so the meals couldn't be counted.
Controlled Chaos 09:40 PM 06-11-2015
This post is from 2009
nanglgrl 09:50 PM 06-11-2015
I don't charge a no call/no show fee but completely understand why others might need to. I do say that if a child does not arrive by 9 am and I haven't been notified of a late arrival I will not accept that child into care for the day. My clients would still have to pay for that day.
There are several reasons I can think of that a provider might charge a fee for no all/no show clients on top of charging them the daily rate:
1. In order to keep costs low most providers participate in the federal food program. The food program reimburses part of our food expenses and this means cheaper rates for our clients. When a child is supposed to arrive at a certain time food is prepared for them. When they show up we are allowed to check them in attendance for the food program and are reimbursed for a portion of the cost. When a child doesn't show up and food is prepared for them we can not be reimbursed by the food program. In both situations the food expense was then same but in the second situation all of the expense comes out of the providers pocket. It's easy to SAY to wait to prepare food until children arrive but when feeding 6-12 children things need to be done in advance.
2. In many situations providers agree to an earlier drop off for a family (earlier than their regular opening time) and don't charge extra, they do it as a courtesy for their clients. When the provider wakes up early for this family and they don't call or show up it is an inconvenience and its an inconvenience the provider is not being paid for. The providers that I know who open early for clients without charging have a huge problem with clients showing up late and not informing the provider of their plans.
3. I agree with other posters about it not being about the money, it's about the respect and relationship. So many adults need an incentive these days to do what they should be doing anyway.
4. When a client doesn't show up its not as if the providers day just goes on as planned. I often worry something has happened to them..gas leak?car accident?did they go to work and accidently leave their child in the car? So I try not to overreact and call right away and instead I listen for the door and the morning is wasted. It's hard to listen for the door while teaching. Eventually I do call because the worry overcomes me only to be met with a "sorry, we're running late!" As glad as I am that nothing horrible happened it doesn't fix that I'm now overly stressed and the schedule is a mess.
5. Some providers hire an assistant or substitute to come in, often times its a loss for the provider but she does it so she doesnt have to close for an appointment or so she can take the older children on a field trip. When a client doesn't show up and doesn't call it may not cost the provider more for the extra help but it's money from her profits that could have been spent elsewhere.
6. My daycare space is in my basement and we can not hear the door when we're down there. I'm certainly not leaving my door unlocked so when I'm expecting an arrival/departure we come upstairs. I've scheduled my clients so they all arrive in the same 1/2 hour and leave in the same 1/2 hour meaning we are only upstairs first thing in the morning and right before close. When a client doesn't show or call to tell me they are going to be late we wait..5 minutes..10 minutes..15 minutes and then we head downstairs. Thats 15 minutes spent waiting instead of having quality time in my program.
Michael 12:12 AM 06-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
This post is from 2009
Yes, and still relevant.
Tags:no show, no show fee
Reply Up