Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here We Go :(
melissa ann 04:31 PM 10-11-2010
So, this past sat while checking my on-line bank statment, I see that a check I deposited last Sat(oct 2) was returned on Wed. It was for $80 and a $12 return fee. this came from my newest family that started in Sept. I called her and told her about it. She said that she doesn't know what happened, there was $ in the acct to cover it. She said she will contact her bank. So, this was like 8:30 in the morning. I waited until 9:30 to call back. She was at her bank, and she put the teller on the phone. She confirmed that there was $ in the acct and they are not showing anything on their end. She asked if I received anything from my bank. I said no, but that I printed out my statement and could show them that. So mom said she would come and pick it up and show it to her bank. So, I decided to call my bank. They didin't know why it was returned. The person I spoke to said it would be best to call back on Mon. But that I would get the check back in the mail. So, mom called back again with the bank teller. She said maybe there was a mistake on my bank's part. Whatever. Mom never did come to pick up the evidence I had. So, in the afternoon, mail came. Guess what was in it? A copy of the returned check. it looked like my bank tried to deposit it 4 times, but failed. So, I"m thinking it was insufficient funds. When I did talk to mom in the morning, I said that I needed the money by 11 so I could put it in my acct. I really need that money. She will have to pay the $12 returned fee. Which I know she doesn't want to. Her and the bank teller kept saying it was a mistake on my bank's part. But I have the check so it would have to come from her end.

Okay, didn't hear from her. So this morning, I texted her that I needed the $80 plus the $12 in fees, in cash Tue. (girl's 1st day of week). and that I had to close Thur due to a funeral. My Uncle passed away on Sat. She called back like in 3 mins. She was flipping annoyed. Kept saying she doesn't know what the problem is. I said, look, I have the copy of the check here. I have not been paid. She said she will call her bank again. hangs up.
I called my bank and they said to go to her bank and maybe find some answers. So I did. After 4 tellers looked at the check, checked her account and 20 mins later. They cashed the check. I was also told to tell mom that she needs to pay me the $12 my bank charged, she then needs to go her bank and tell them and they will refund her $12 paid to me.
I called mom, left a voicemail and explained all of this. I also asked if she wanted to bring girl on Wed since I will be closed Thur. (girl comes Tue, Thur, Fri) if not, that's fine. I will not charge for thur since I will be the one closing. Have not heard back from her.
I don't see what the big deal is/was. I understand things happen in the computer world. I don't understand why she just didn't take the copy of the check I had, and just repay me. She made a bigger deal of this then it need be, imo. We were both frustrated.
MyAngels 07:18 PM 10-11-2010
Actually, I think I would call my bank and explain the situation, asking them to contact the other bank and work it out amongst themselves, but to refund the $12 to my account. I've only had one check bounce that I've deposited and my bank didn't charge me anything for that, so I'm not sure whether your bank would refund or not, but it does sound like it's a possiblity that it was your bank's error in some way.

I would also think that your dcp was both annoyed and a tad bit embarrassed by the situation, and didn't feel it was their responsibility to correct something that wasn't the fault of their bank.
mac60 02:52 AM 10-12-2010
The bounced check I had about 2 months ago, the mom kept insisting that it should of cleared....was going to to talk to my bank, etc. Her hubby didn't believe me, even though I gave them a copy of the bank statement that explained it all plus the fees. People are stupid and don't want to admit they messed up. Seriously, if her check wouldn't cash, it is HER problem to call the bank, etc, not yours.

Once my bank called and told me they tried 4 times to put a check thru, they charged me $$$ everytime over x number of times to put it thru. I would definately tell them cash only, especially if they are going to give you grief when it is their mistake.
melissa ann 03:00 AM 10-12-2010
[quote=

I would also think that your dcp was both annoyed and a tad bit embarrassed by the situation, and didn't feel it was their responsibility to correct something that wasn't the fault of their bank.[/QUOTE]

If I could not cash her check, she STILL needed to pay me. So it would be her responsibility no matter why I couldn't cash the check. I was still owed money.
Like I said before, I understand that things happen. Wether there was money in the acct or not, or if it was just a computer glitch.
BentleysBands 03:47 AM 10-12-2010
sorry you had to go thru this! and btw, i'm so sorry for the loss of your uncle. *HUGS*

but for this reason exactly is why my daycare is CASH ONLY...NO exceptions! maybe you should implement that rule to prevent this happening again. ?

good luck1
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:35 AM 10-12-2010
I have had 2 parents bounce checks...the first one the mom insisted she had the money in there and it shouldn't have happened. I guess they ALL claim that, don't they? So I called my bank to ask them if there was any other reason the check would have been charged back to my account and they assured me the only reason would be for non-sufficient funds.

The mom kept insisting she had the funds and there is no way that could have happened. Ya right. I was stressing all weekend worried that I wouldn't get my money that I really needed. Finally on Sunday night she shows up with cash.

I know how stressful that can be, when her bank cashed the check for you, did they admit they made a mistake? Or did she happen to add money in there after the check was returned? That would be my bet, that she put money in AFTER her check was returned.
SilverSabre25 07:25 AM 10-12-2010
Sorry you had to deal with this; I'd insist on cash payments in the future. Actually, that's in my contract, that after one bounced check all future payments are required to be made in cash.

I also bet that she put the money in there after the check bounced.
missnikki 08:24 AM 10-12-2010
If you bounce a check with me, you:
1) pay the bank fee ($25 in my case)
2) pay the late payment fee (10% of said bill if the fiasco caused payment to be late)
3) Pay by cash/ money order/ cashier's check only for 12 months
4) All of the above before I watch your child.

Only had it happen twice in 70+ families at this place.
melissa ann 03:43 PM 10-12-2010
And, this just came to me. Yesterday at her bank, they asked where I go. I answered. Then they said, that my bank doesn't honor checks but theirs do. What does that mean? I know my bank will not cash a check if I do not have enough money in it. I have my own acct due to my childcare business. Now, my joint acct with hubby, they will cash in a check if there isn't enough money in the acct but charge $35 for doing it. Not that we ever had that, but they do have an over draft protection policy. Mayber her's does too but somewho it failed this time.
IF her bank wasn't at fault, why would they offer to refund her my fees?
tymaboy 06:09 AM 10-13-2010
If she wrote that check out to a business & was return to them do you think they would care what the deal was on why it was returned? Nope they would still make her pay the fees & her checks would no longer be welcomed there.
Tags:bounced check
Reply Up