Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Chewing Socks
littleflitter 05:31 AM 10-05-2015
So I've had an incident with my DCB 10 months. He's always been the baby that takes his socks off by kicking his feet so for the summer we were golden- no socks needed. Now that the weather is cooling off and socks are very needed we're running into a problem.

The first day he was dropped off with socks on, I thought nothing of it and went about our day like any other. Put him down for his nap no problem. When I went to get him up from his nap I found him with both socks off and one of them in his mouth. Now, this wasn't just chewing on the end of the sock that he found in bed- the sock was STUFFED IN HIS MOUTH so much that I could only see the end. Obviously this terrified me. He was fine and didn't even care.

So I guess my question is what would you do at this point? I don't really want to deal with the liability of making sure to remove his socks for every nap (who has time for that!) so I asked his parents not to send socks for the time being, but that won't be a long term solution here because of the weather. I also asked that they find socks that he can't get off or put some indoor shoes over them (this hasn't seemed to be working for them so far...). I would NEVER have thought that baby socks were something to worry about in bed (obviously no blankets, toys, etc- but SOCKS?!)

What would you do? Am I crazy to even be worried about this? Help?!
Indoorvoice 05:37 AM 10-05-2015
I would probably just be sure to take his socks off upon arrival and only put them on when we go outside with shoes. Once you make it a part of your routine, it might not be such a big deal. Otherwise, how much of a pain would it be for him to wear footed pajamas? I actually prefer those over onesies and pants for diaper changes, but I know some providers don't like them.

Or put him in a sleep sack and he won't be able to get to his socks at nap.
permanentvacation 05:40 AM 10-05-2015
I just take the baby's socks off as soon as they enter the house. The baby is just going to take them off anyway and they are inside, so it's not like they are in the frigid cold outdoor temperatures.

If it really bothers you, maybe you can get the parents to just dress him in onesie sleepers for the day; you know, footie pajamas.
Heidi 05:42 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I would probably just be sure to take his socks off upon arrival and only put them on when we go outside with shoes. Once you make it a part of your routine, it might not be such a big deal. Otherwise, how much of a pain would it be for him to wear footed pajamas? I actually prefer those over onesies and pants for diaper changes, but I know some providers don't like them.

same here...

I started taking off infants socks before nap a long time ago. It dawned on me one day that exactly that could happen. Socks go in shoes in cubbies here.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 10-05-2015
My infants (under 12 months) wear tights.

Boys included.

Warmth trumps style/fashion.

Super easy way to keep baby warm and they can't fall off.

Win-win!
Leigh 07:24 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Boys included.

Win-win!
Exactly what I was going to recommend. There are a FEW places that make footed pants for boys, too.
littletots 07:26 AM 10-05-2015
I pull socks up over pants. So tuck pant leg bottom into socks at ankles. Sleepsack at nap. It works. Try it. BTW: I've had older 2y stuff blanket in mouth at nap. I wait until asleep and gently slowly pull out. Some kids are stuffers.
hope 07:49 AM 10-05-2015
All my babies wear tights here. I provide them. I can't stand seeing their feet bare and cold and random socks everywhere.
daycarediva 09:08 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:

Heidi 10:25 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Boys included.

Win-win!

So common in Europe, but you don't see it much here in the states. I guess wearing tights might affect their masculinity!
Jack Sprat 10:46 AM 10-05-2015
I use Bobux or Robeez. The babies can't get them off or at least the ones I have in care. They are soft and can still sleep in them. I have used tights as well. Babies don't care what they look like!
nannyde 10:47 AM 10-05-2015
Footed jammies over clothes. I have robeez too
littleflitter 10:59 AM 10-05-2015
Oh my gosh, you guys are the best! I didn't think of half of these options! For now, I've sent DCM an email to see if she prefers bare feet inside, robeez, or tights. Any of those should work for me so we'll see where that goes. I can't wait to hear what kind of smart remark DCD has about the tights I have a feeling that won't be his top choice
Blackcat31 11:13 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by littleflitter:
Oh my gosh, you guys are the best! I didn't think of half of these options! For now, I've sent DCM an email to see if she prefers bare feet inside, robeez, or tights. Any of those should work for me so we'll see where that goes. I can't wait to hear what kind of smart remark DCD has about the tights I have a feeling that won't be his top choice
...just tell him they are long johns with feet.

Warmth trumps fashion EVERY time when it comes to kids.
littletots 11:14 AM 10-05-2015
I'm telling you... Try just tucking pant leg into the sock. Seriously, it works.
Snowmom 12:17 PM 10-05-2015
I have a 16 month old here who still does that.
Definitely footie pajamas or a sleep sack.
I do ask mom to put socks on that are on the tighter side and the longer the better- that way we can just hike them up as far as we can (up the calves) and it's harder to pull them off while playing.

I do require socks to be worn for sanity reasons (once had a dck spread warts). But, I'm kind of picky when it comes to things like that.
Unregistered 01:14 PM 10-05-2015
Tights actually are the fashion for boys now too. Like baby legs, etc. My son had a few just for the cuteness even tho it doesn't get cold here lol. He had some amazing ones I got as hand me downs. The mom got them on eBay from China. There were grey and brown stripes down the legs and a fox on the bum. Another was yellow and blue stripes with a dino bum. Totes adorbs.
SilverSabre25 01:19 PM 10-05-2015
Who has time for taking socks off? It takes 2 seconds. Just take them off. I usually remove socks when kids get here (and by 2 have them taking the socks off themselves and putting them in their shoes). Cold feet never seem to bother them and this way they aren't slipping and sliding everywhere. This is one of those things that's just really NBD (no big deal) in my book. Common sense. Socks causing a problem? Take 'em off. Done.

(I HATE chasing lost socks at the end of the day so I just don't deal with them.)
littleflitter 10:41 AM 10-06-2015
Thanks for the advice! DCM brought a slipper type shoe today that has been awesome! (They are called Mocc Ons). Baby can't get them off and we just slip them right on (socks still on) when he arrives. I've never seen them before but would recommend them if anyone else is looking for an easy solution!
Reply Up