Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 Month Old Doesn't Take a Bottle
hope 05:09 AM 08-04-2016
I interviewed with a family with an 8 month old dcg. Dcm is going back to work next month and said that dcg has never really taken to a bottle. During the interview dcg nursed several times. Any advice I should give dcm to try? I have never dealt with an infant this old that wasn't taking a bottle so I am unsure how to proceed. I told them I would not take dcg unless she was taking a bottle for me so they have the month to transition.
laundrymom 05:23 AM 08-04-2016
I would go straight to sippie
Annalee 05:35 AM 08-04-2016
Make sure the child will take a bottle or sippie.....I had this problem with my last term....the child would not take either.... Not a good experience for myself or the child.
LysesKids 05:42 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by hope:
I interviewed with a family with an 8 month old dcg. Dcm is going back to work next month and said that dcg has never really taken to a bottle. During the interview dcg nursed several times. Any advice I should give dcm to try? I have never dealt with an infant this old that wasn't taking a bottle so I am unsure how to proceed. I told them I would not take dcg unless she was taking a bottle for me so they have the month to transition.
I would suggest that someone besides mom train the child with a bottle or sippie... child knows where moms milk is so that tends to back fire when it comes to bottles ( I just signed an older infant that just learned a bottle at 6.5 months)... moms brother and a neighbor gives baby the bottle - worked real well
hope 07:18 AM 08-04-2016
How many times a day would you suggest the give a bottle? If she won't take it at first ti they hand her over to mom to nurse or have her wait hungry?
Leigh 07:26 AM 08-04-2016
Tell DCM: As soon as your child is able to drink from a bottle or sippie cup consistently, give me a call and we'll set your start date.
daycarediva 08:10 AM 08-04-2016
Someone other than mom needs to offer it, but at that point I would go straight to a sippy cup.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Tell DCM: As soon as your child is able to drink from a bottle or sippie cup consistently, give me a call and we'll set your start date.
this!

It's ridiculous how many parents fail to prepare their child for daycare. As a provider I refuse to take on the responsibility of nipple training a breast-fed baby.

I would do exactly as Leigh suggested.
christine19720 10:35 AM 08-04-2016
This is exactly how I would handle that situation.
CityGarden 10:44 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
this!

It's ridiculous how many parents fail to prepare their child for daycare. As a provider I refuse to take on the responsibility of nipple training a breast-fed baby.

I would do exactly as Leigh suggested.
I 100% agree! I am a HUGE supporter of nursing but parents do have to set their children up for success.

Also it is hard for mom to make that transition someone other than mom should several times a day (including / especially before rest times) give a bottle or sippy. I would likely suggest they go straight to a soft top sippy like the Nuby No-Spill Super Spout 2 Handle Cup
e.j. 11:06 AM 08-04-2016
I've had a few kids who refused to take a bottle. It was miserable for everyone.
Cat Herder 12:22 PM 08-04-2016
Dad has never been able to give his baby a bottle?

Have Mom start there. It is a huge bonding thing for Dad, too.
Reply Up