Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training - Pull Up vs Diaper
284878 10:18 AM 09-22-2020
When dck are potty training do you request pull up as they get more independent?

I have two that are independent enough that they go by them selves and come in pull ups but if they have an accident or don't quite make it in time then they are in a diaper for the rest of the day, this leaves me having to be there with them to redress them.

Would it be best to send the diapers home and request pull ups?
Unregistered 10:41 AM 09-22-2020
I actually prefer the pull-up as it is easier for the kids to pull-up. I try to get the parents to use the ones where they separate on the sides so that if they don’t make it in time I don’t have to take the pants off the child. It saves time as I’m at a 1:8 ratio here in the 2 year old room. Although some kids view the pull-up as a diaper and do better with underwear.
Cat Herder 01:21 PM 09-22-2020
I prefer diapers as they don't leak like pull-ups, are cost efficient vs pull-ups and are easier to use. I don't have time to completely disrobe the child to put another one on after an accident.
e.j. 03:20 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I prefer diapers as they don't leak like pull-ups, are cost efficient vs pull-ups and are easier to use. I don't have time to completely disrobe the child to put another one on after an accident.
I feel the same way. I don't like using Pull Ups until the child is in the home stretch of potty training - when they're just about fully trained but the risk of an accident is still there.
284878 03:57 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I feel the same way. I don't like using Pull Ups until the child is in the home stretch of potty training - when they're just about fully trained but the risk of an accident is still there.
That's were these two are, in the home stretch. Do you request pull ups?
e.j. 05:43 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
That's were these two are, in the home stretch. Do you request pull ups?
If I think the kids are truly ready and I just want to make sure for a week or two before switching to underwear, I might ask the parents if they've considered switching to Pull Ups. I've never actually had to request them because usually it's the parent pushing to use them as soon as the kid sits on the potty for the first time.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 09-23-2020
I haven't had a child use Pull-ups in a long time.
To me, they are just low quality diapers anyways so I prefer to use diapers for those that aren't fully potty trained.

A trained child won't automatically use the Pull-up to potty in simply because they are wearing it contrary to what some say. A trained child doesn't want to be soiled/wet no matter what they are wearing.

In order to protect my floors and keep them clean, I require diapers until they can go accident free for two weeks. Then underwear. Parents can use Pull-ups or whatever they wish at home....those floors are theirs to clean.
PB&J 06:14 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I haven't had a child use Pull-ups in a long time.
To me, they are just low quality diapers anyways so I prefer to use diapers for those that aren't fully potty trained.

A trained child won't automatically use the Pull-up to potty in simply because they are wearing it contrary to what some say. A trained child doesn't want to be soiled/wet no matter what they are wearing.

In order to protect my floors and keep them clean, I require diapers until they can go accident free for two weeks. Then underwear. Parents can use Pull-ups or whatever they wish at home....those floors are theirs to clean.
I can’t tell you how many parents have said “but my kid stays completely dry in underwear. He/she ONLY has “accidents” in pull-ups [diapers].” One, I tell them exactly what you say abt not wanting to be wet whether they are in underwear, pull-ups, or Saran Wrap ... and they insist their kids go everywhere all weekend dry in underwear. Or, I believe them and put their kids in underwear and EVEN WITH reminders these kids mess their pants. Help.
Blackcat31 06:26 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I can’t tell you how many parents have said “but my kid stays completely dry in underwear. He/she ONLY has “accidents” in pull-ups [diapers].” One, I tell them exactly what you say abt not wanting to be wet whether they are in underwear, pull-ups, or Saran Wrap ... and they insist their kids go everywhere all weekend dry in underwear. Or, I believe them and put their kids in underwear and EVEN WITH reminders these kids mess their pants. Help.

Love how parents think they are in charge of my floors and are willing to allow their child to urinate freely on them

Have parents to put their money where their mouth is.

If a parent says their kid is trained then it’s simple;

Require a $300 deposit and allow child to wear underwear.
IF child is accident free for a full 2 weeks .... the parent was correct, return $300:deposit.....it’s a win win for them, the child and you

But if the child has an accident/accidents one or two times (once is enough but twice is trying to be accommodating) during two week period, then use $300 to have carpets/floors professionally cleaned and child goes back into pull-ups/diapers.

Almost all parents back off
Ariana 10:41 AM 09-25-2020
I use pull-ups and if the child is potty trained they don’t really go in them. If you get to a point that a pull-up is leaking (which has never happened to me) then they need diapers. Pull-ups also open on the sides so not sure why you’d need to redress the child to put a new on on!
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Pull-ups also open on the sides so not sure why you’d need to redress the child to put a new on on!
Not all of them. Maybe the name brand ones, but the parents pushing the potty training are not the same ones who buy the good ones.
e.j. 10:59 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I tell parents that the dynamics can be very different at home and at day care. Until I'm comfortable that the child is fully potty trained at day care, he/she will have to wear either diapers or Pull Ups at my house. I explain that at day care, the potty training kid usually insists he doesn't have to use the bathroom until I sit down to feed an infant who's starting to fuss because he's hungry or until I start to change another kid who just had an explosive poop in his diaper. All of a sudden, the potty training kid has to go NOW. We then end up with a puddle on the floor that I have to try to keep 5 other kids from splashing in while I finish up with the kid on the changing table or put a now screaming baby down so I can clean up the mess on the floor. At home, parents can usually react pretty quickly when their child says he has to go; I can't always drop what I'm doing to bring the child to the potty. Maybe I've just been lucky but most parents understand when I explain it to them like that.
e.j. 11:00 AM 09-25-2020
but the parents pushing the potty training are not the same ones who buy the good ones.
Isn't that the truth?! lol
Ariana 12:17 PM 09-25-2020
Not all of them. Maybe the name brand ones, but the parents pushing the potty training are not the same ones who buy the good ones.
I make them buy the ones I need
Tags:diaper changes, diapers vs pull-ups, potty training, pull on diapers, pull ups, training pants
Reply Up