Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Variance For Director Position
Dabill 06:29 PM 12-17-2020
Hello! I want to open a center and be the owner AND director. I have education in ece and business management but Minnesota also requires 1040 hours of supervisory experience which I don't have. If anyone has experience requesting a variance I would love to know if you were granted one. I've also been told to try to get some sort of experience even if its volunteering, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm a SAHM and going to school.. any advice appreciated! TIA
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by Dabill:
Hello! I want to open a center and be the owner AND director. I have education in ece and business management but Minnesota also requires 1040 hours of supervisory experience which I don't have. If anyone has experience requesting a variance I would love to know if you were granted one. I've also been told to try to get some sort of experience even if its volunteering, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm a SAHM and going to school.. any advice appreciated! TIA
What education do you have in ECE?

I am licensed as family child care so I don't know a ton about center rules but I do know getting a variance for staff requirements is not likely.

The first line on the variance request form says:

"A variance may be granted by the commissioner for Rules that do not affect the health or safety of persons in a licensed program if certain conditions are met."

Can you hire a director until you meet the required hours?

I agree with the person that suggested you work somewhere or volunteer somewhere to get the hours needed.

IMHO, no amount of education can equate to actual clock hours of doing the job.
Tags:business management, dedication, director duties, ethics, experience, hard work
Reply Up