Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What are .......
nikia 09:51 AM 02-25-2011
some of things from your childhood that you still do with your kids?

After some of the posts about how many technical things kids have now and how much things have changed I wondered how many of you still do the old school things with your own children?

My children are outside, we play uno the normal one not the one that needs batteries and cards fly at you . They climb trees and get dirty, we run water in the grass and find big fat earth worms. We hardly watch tv, we have a Wii and nintendo DS's that barely get touched. We catch fire fly's and run in the sprinkler, go sledding and so much more. The remember when facebook video really got me thinking about how truly sad I am for most of the kids I take care of. All day long one 2 year old asks me to watch tv, all day long I say no, it goes on about 30 mins before pickup and then all of them are just sucked right in. Very few of my daycare kids know how to play outside, or dig in the garden with me, just things that my own two girls knew how to do as soon as they could walk

So I was just curious and do you do those things with your daycare kids? I have parents that do not want their kids to get dirty so I just put my old kids clothes on them so at least they can have some fun
countrymom 12:14 PM 02-25-2011
unfortunatly I'm raising pigs they have to wear rubber boots in the spring because they spend so much time in the ditch.We spend time at the beach just hanging out (when its warm here) we all go on vacations, we go on sunday drives as a family (not even sure if people do this anymore) we go apple picking, pumkin picking and strawberry picking (they are traditions) we do things that are traditions more than anything else. Its so funny because my children look so foward to doing things. We also do alot more hands on things.
Unregistered 04:21 PM 02-25-2011
My two sons are all grown ( 29 & 31 years old) and married, but when they were younger, in the summer they played outside almost all day with friends. I would not let them watch t.v all day, they maybe got to watch one or two cartoon shows in the morning when they got up, but after breakfast I chased them outside for the day. They played games like "around the house",played croquet, rode their bikes, played basket ball in the driveway,ran through the sprinkler's on a hot day and those sort of things.We didn't get a computer at home until they were in junior high, by then for school work, it was sort of like they were expected to have one, all their reports for classes had to be type written,no handwriting. I guess kids are not taught how to write these days and teacher's can't read their writing, so they made them type them out. Kids these days don't know what games are like, anyone remember playing Kick The Can or Red Rover Red Rover or roller skating on the sidewalks with old fashion roller skates,not roller blades. Capture the Flag,does anyone remember that game?
Kids these days just are missing the good old play that like our kids played when they were younger or like we used to play. There is too many electronic stuff now that kids are doing with their spare time. I took the boys to the beach,parks to play and loved spending time with them. I miss those days! You all that have little ones now, enjoy the time you have with them now because before you know it, they are all grown up and have their own lives they are living.
Hunni Bee 06:50 PM 02-26-2011
omg....yesterday where I live it was a beautiful day, it was about 75 degrees, the birdies were chirping, the sun was shining, the sky was unbelievably blue. was so happy because it had been raining all morning, and about 10:30 it stopped and the sun came out like it had never rained. We dropped everything we were doing and went outside...

...and this kid wants to stay inside and play the computer. I left him inside with my assistant and two other kiddos who had lost their outside privileges...after about 10 minutes I told her to just bring them outside, it was too nice. She had to MAKE him get off the computer. He's four.

All he does is talk about Dora, Umi Zoomi, Wonderpets, etc. All his dramatic play are scenarios from Dora. He begs to watch tv all day. I never turn on the tv, so he substitutes with the computer- which he has be pulled from so other kids can get a turn.

As a kid, I never wanted to watch tv! It was something that was the last resort because there was nothing else to do, or it was night, or raining or something. Me and my sister played outside from breakfast to dinner some days...I dont get it.
Reply Up