Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Infant Question
tenderhearts 01:47 PM 07-28-2010
For those of you who have more than 1 infant, do they sleep in the same room even if their napping is a little different and one is already asleep? I'm trying to figure this out before I start infant number 2, infant 1 that i have right now I have for the most part figured out her schedule, she does wake up a little during her naps and will kind of babble, slight whine and even sometimes a little cry for maybe a minute or 2 but goes back to sleep, or a few times I've had to lay her down and she cries for maybe a couple minutes before falling asleep, I worry if I put infant 2 in there it will wake him up, or if I have to put a baby to nap and one is already sleeping and they fuss they'll wake up the other, so what do you others do? I'm trying to keep the playpen hopping in my house as much as I can.

Also do you keep 2 of everything, like high chairs, exersaucers ect?
emosks 01:52 PM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
For those of you who have more than 1 infant, do they sleep in the same room even if their napping is a little different and one is already asleep? I'm trying to figure this out before I start infant number 2, infant 1 that i have right now I have for the most part figured out her schedule, she does wake up a little during her naps and will kind of babble, slight whine and even sometimes a little cry for maybe a minute or 2 but goes back to sleep, or a few times I've had to lay her down and she cries for maybe a couple minutes before falling asleep, I worry if I put infant 2 in there it will wake him up, or if I have to put a baby to nap and one is already sleeping and they fuss they'll wake up the other, so what do you others do? I'm trying to keep the playpen hopping in my house as much as I can.

Also do you keep 2 of everything, like high chairs, exersaucers ect?
We have an "Under 2" room full of PNPs and an "Over 2" room full of cots and a bed.

We have 1 high chair (won't have 2 infants at the same time until December!) and 5 booster seats. 1 swing, 1 exersaucer, 1 bouncy. We'll manage those when the infants come later in the year. We might get a new highchair too.
tenderhearts 02:15 PM 07-28-2010
do you have a helper or are you by yourself? See I'm by myself so I'm trying to figure it out ahead of time so I'm not stressing once baby 2 is here. I'm already remembering lunch time was always hard with my last 2 infants, had them at the same time too they are now 4 1/2 but the infant I have now seems every day she gets fussy right when I'm putting it on the table, I have been feeding her before to make sure she's not hungry so i think it's because she just wants to be held but I can't be a "waitress" and hold a baby at the same time. Thanks
DBug 02:46 PM 07-28-2010
My "babies" were older (8 months to 16 months), but I would have up to 4 sleeping in the same, small room together in playpens. It did take a bit, but they all learned to sleep through any crying that might happen before, during or after naptime. I did both morning and afternoon naps like this. Now they can each sleep through anything . So it can work, but it does take patience ...

As for equipment, I have one high chair for each little one, and boosters for the ones that need them. I got the Ikea high chairs (they're cheap and easy to clean). And, they're easy to move around with a child in them, which comes in very handy when you're spoon-feeding 3 babies at the same time. I don't use saucers or swings, mostly because of space limitations. If I had the space though, I'd likely have 2 or 3 saucers. My preference is to have enough of each thing for the kids who need them, because it just makes life easier.

And the babies that fuss while you're making lunch or whatever -- I either let them fuss or sit them in a high chair with cheerios or toys (if they're old enough). If they're not old enough for that, I'd sit them in a saucer or bouncy seat where they can see me, and just go ahead and do what I need to do. They'll get used to the schedule eventually, and they'll learn when you're available and when you're not.
emosks 06:53 PM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
do you have a helper or are you by yourself? See I'm by myself so I'm trying to figure it out ahead of time so I'm not stressing once baby 2 is here. I'm already remembering lunch time was always hard with my last 2 infants, had them at the same time too they are now 4 1/2 but the infant I have now seems every day she gets fussy right when I'm putting it on the table, I have been feeding her before to make sure she's not hungry so i think it's because she just wants to be held but I can't be a "waitress" and hold a baby at the same time. Thanks
We're a group home so there is almost always 2 of us here.

In the under 2 room we have 2 that go down at 1:00 and 1 that goes down at 1:30 and we haven't had any issues of them waking each other up. I think that once you get the hang of it and in a routine you'd be ok.
Unregistered 10:42 AM 07-30-2010
Yes they def get used to routine with one another. I have 2 boys, they are 6 wks apart in age, they sleep at the same time, eat at the same time, even poop at the same time
EVERYDAY! I have just kept them on the same routine daily and they become accustomed to it. Luckily they are both very easy to care for. I have had them both for close to a year now, they both just turned 1 yr old- just took my first full week vacation- both parents had to end up taking off work during the week because both of the boys were so out of whack not being with me, not being together, and being off their routine with their babysitters! It kinda made me feel good though that they really like being here that much It may take a few weeks but they will def get used to whatever routine you want them to have! After you get into the swing of things-having 2 infants really isnt that hard, I actually enjoy my little ones the most!
tenderhearts 01:54 PM 07-30-2010
I sure hope I can get them to sleep in the same room, that would be one less headache, I just don't see that happening at least right away. See the baby I have now is just 4 mo. the other baby that will start in a few weeks will be almost 8 mo, well the 4 mo old her sleeping seemed pretty much the same the last 2 weeks up until yesterday, normaly she will take a morning nap which is about 1 1/2 -2 hours, sometimes a little catnap then her afternoon nap is about 1 1/2-2 1/2 hrs, yesterday both naps were 3 hours each, so now today her naps have been 1 hour and she's at her 3rd 1 hr nap, how do you keep a 4 mo old on the same schedule? I can't "keep" her up she was fussy as heck. Just curious how others do it. oh and getting back to them sleeping in the same room, most naps she will wake up a little and fuss for maybe a minute or 2 and fall back to sleep, I just don't want her waking up the other baby when she does that. I'm really hoping though to get them to sleep in the same room, that would be such a huge plus for me.
Tags:group home, infant care
Reply Up