Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Days No Kids BC Of Weather
SunflowerMama 07:09 AM 02-02-2011
So we got hit with a nasty mess of ice early Tuesday morning. It's now in the teens with wind chills around -5...and we are in TEXAS!

I remained open but no kids (I have 7 total) yesterday or today and tomorrow is the same thing...teen temps and killer wind chills so they are saying there won't be any improvement in road conditions. We've been having rolling blackouts all day.

I'm SOOOO glad I decided to stay open and not close and discount parents. I would be out so much financially I don't know what I would have done.

Hope everyone dealing with this storm and weather are staying warm and safe!
Lilbutterflie 07:24 AM 02-02-2011
I'm in the same boat. Decided to stay open, but have had no kids the last two days.
We are also having rolling blackouts, but so far have been unaffected by them... thank goodness! Our heat is electric!
kendallina 08:00 AM 02-02-2011
That's good that you stayed open. I am dealing with a hundreds of dollars in lost income this winter. With my program being just a 3-hour 'preschool' and not childcare, I feel like I should close when the weather is bad, but unfortunately the schools around here close for everything!

So...I think I'm going to email parents stating that effective immediately if they want to bring their kiddos on snow days, then that'd be great! With the exception of this storm, probably everyone would have come for all the other closings, as the roads really weren't that bad. I might also start offering Friday preschool to those that want it (I'm usually just M-TH) because I have NO MONEY! Argh...
laundrymom 08:06 AM 02-02-2011
I had 2 families yesterday and one today. I just posted on my fb that I was excited for nap to be over because I'm taking them outside to play in the snow. Now this fam brought their kids in today with tennis shoes and no hats. Or gloves. Girl has stretch pants on So we are socking their hands adding spare clothes to make two layers and going out anyway. !!!!!! I bet after they see my fb they get here early!!!!
safechner 08:21 AM 02-02-2011
Good Job! You are lucky to have no kids but I only have one kid here with me. My daycare parents live in our neighborhoods (my husband's good friend) so that is why they bring her here with me. My husband went to work yesterday and today. He drove on tollway 121 to Plano but he said it was not that bad. I am not sure if our district will be open by tomorrow, who knows. We lost power this morning and I am sure you do the same since we live in the same town. However, I really enjoy my day with my daughters and only one dcg.
Tags:bad weather, closed from snow
Reply Up