Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Not Fall Asleep?
dEHmom 10:47 AM 11-22-2011
Ok, so I have a few older children today. They have to have quiet/nap time but none of them sleep. So I've darked the living room so they can have some quiet time. 2 out of 3 are ALMOST asleep, but doubt they will actually fall asleep.

Anyways, usually i use this time to do dishes, etc, but I really need them to stay quiet, and these girls just can't do it. Even with me sitting right here beside them, they are still constantly getting up, giggling, etc. So I'm sitting here quietly, making sure they don't get off the mats (this is new to all of us btw.) so it's not like I've been doing quiet time forever and have this down. I'm almost falling asleep. So i decided to go on the laptop while sitting here and even still I am fighting the eyelids from closing.

i had a bit of a later night last night and was disturbed a few times, and I'm not feelin the greatest. My daughter was sick with something, she was vomiting, hopefully not flu. My stomachs sort of off today, but I'm not sick. Coffee is not keeping me awake.

How do you ladies not fall asleep when you have to be quiet and not move too much?

eta: i need them to be quiet becauseif they are not, they wake up the babies, and these babies need to have at least a 1 hour nap or else i'm going to go insane.
Zoe 10:52 AM 11-22-2011
Don't let yourself get too warm, sit up straight if you're sitting, maybe get up and walk around while reading a book, get a snack....these are some of the things I've done.

A month ago I fell asleep on the couch for about 10 minutes, I felt so awful! But I was on the couch cuddled up in a blanket watching a boring movie. My own darn fault! Totally could have been prevented.

Hang in there!
dEHmom 10:57 AM 11-22-2011
i want to cuddle up with my ds, because i know if i did he'd be out in a second. but these 2 girls are just so squealish, that 2 seconds of no eyes on them, they run around and squeal. they are both yawning right now, but still not asleep. I'm hoping they do fall asleep. I'm gonna try get them more cozy hoping they do.
Ariana 11:11 AM 11-22-2011
I use the laptop as well but if thats not working for you, how about a nice big glass of ice water!
dEHmom 11:19 AM 11-22-2011
i'm just so tired from a not so good sleep last night, and sort of feeling under the weather a bit. early bedtime tonight for sure.

i will try the water. i actually got up and stepped outside the door because a dcm phoned. cool air helped wake me a bit, but the kids got up and now they're not as tired, ugh!
Unregistered 11:19 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Ok, so I have a few older children today. They have to have quiet/nap time but none of them sleep. So I've darked the living room so they can have some quiet time. 2 out of 3 are ALMOST asleep, but doubt they will actually fall asleep.

Anyways, usually i use this time to do dishes, etc, but I really need them to stay quiet, and these girls just can't do it. Even with me sitting right here beside them, they are still constantly getting up, giggling, etc. So I'm sitting here quietly, making sure they don't get off the mats (this is new to all of us btw.) so it's not like I've been doing quiet time forever and have this down. I'm almost falling asleep. So i decided to go on the laptop while sitting here and even still I am fighting the eyelids from closing.

i had a bit of a later night last night and was disturbed a few times, and I'm not feelin the greatest. My daughter was sick with something, she was vomiting, hopefully not flu. My stomachs sort of off today, but I'm not sick. Coffee is not keeping me awake.

How do you ladies not fall asleep when you have to be quiet and not move too much?

eta: i need them to be quiet becauseif they are not, they wake up the babies, and these babies need to have at least a 1 hour nap or else i'm going to go insane.
Someone here mentioned having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich once. This has helped me. Every day can't be dead on great.....it would be nice, but some days we are just wiped out. Late night up, busy day, just tired out. Once a month I have a day like this, you need toothpicks to keep your eyes open. I also play nap time music and that can be very relaxing to not just the kid's but me too, not to mention hearing it every day. Step outside into fresh air, that can help too. Feel for you, think we have all been there many times. It's kind of like one of those days where you count time till close, because you just want to veg out and relax.
nannyde 11:46 AM 11-22-2011
I'm not quiet during nap.

I don't keep the house quiet.

We can vacum by their heads and they sleep thru it.
Zoe 11:48 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Mine too. I'm listening to my music at a normal level knowing it won't wake anyone up. However if they're going to be in the same room as me it might be a different story.
daycare 11:50 AM 11-22-2011
I chew ice...lol horrible for my teeth, but Im wide awake..
dEHmom 11:58 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

that's how my own kids are too. I trained them to sleep through parties and everything, vacuum, music, dishes etc. I'm still adjusting the new kids to my routines, and so for me, getting them to sleep is the hardest, once they first fall asleep i start the racket. just to get them used to it. one of the 3 in the room with me fall asleep, but she doesn't sleep more than half hour, and one of my babies woke up, so sort of a trade off, but this baby is quiet, i'm not worried about her playing around the sleeper. my ds is so close to sleep but still not sleeping. oye!

I'm in training right now to get them to the point they can sleep through everything. I don't like walking on tip toes in egg shells worried they'll wake up if the phone rings, or i drop a dish.
Reply Up