Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Gum
lovemykidstoo 09:48 AM 05-13-2013
One of my more challenging families dropped off their son this morning. He's 3 yrs old and they are still working on potty training. It's not that he can't do it, it's that he WON'T. He's the most headstrong child I've had in a long time. So today he walks in the door and mom says, show her what you have in your mouth. He opens his mouth and there is the gum that he's chomping on. I said, "ah, what's that"? She says, well we always told him that he had to be 4 before he coudl have gum because I was afraid he'd choke on it, but I give it to him now when he goes on the potty. I looked at her like she had lost her mind. Cause that's what I need is a 3 yr old with gum. I replied, well, you know that that is going to hit the trash can right? DUH
Jewels 10:06 AM 05-13-2013
I'm not super strict on Gum, I do have kids show up with gum, they usually show me, and I just say make sure it goes in the trash before breakfast, but I give my kids all milk when they get here, so it usually goes right in the trash, I offer sugar free gum as a treat every once in a while, I've been lucky enough to not have any end up in the carpet, except for my own daughter I've found some in her room, but it must be different now a days, because it just peels right up, or its because its not actual bubble gum. When I have a lot of non nappers(school agers) I offer gum as a reward every once in a while, if they are really good for quiet time.
lovemykidstoo 10:08 AM 05-13-2013
Jewels how old are the kids that you allow gum? I wouldn't care if SA kids had it but I think 3 years old is young to be here walking around with it. Who knows where it could end up.
Blackcat31 10:30 AM 05-13-2013
NO gum here either....way too much of a liability.

I have gumballs I will give the kids but ONLY if they are leaving and the parents say it is ok.

I don't allow gum here during daycare hours under my supervision for ANY age.
Play Care 10:35 AM 05-13-2013
My almost 3 yo girl is bribed with gum each morning. Usually she has to spit it out before she comes in, but today she was chomping away as she walked in
I had her throw it right out. Dad gives it to her with the idea that she will come in cheerfully in the AM.
Jewels 10:45 AM 05-13-2013
school agers when I offer it, but also my own 3yo is allowed it, actually shes 4 now can't get used to that, but I have a 3 year old that comes in with some every once in a great while, and he throws it before breakfast.
williams2008 10:47 AM 05-13-2013
I have had a 1 year old show up chewing gum before, but what get's me is this dcb can barely chew his food
tenderhearts 11:14 AM 05-13-2013
I don't allow gum at any age, it's just not appropriate in daycare IMO, it's not allowed in school so it shouldn't be allowed here.
nannyde 12:02 PM 05-13-2013
No gum.
MarinaVanessa 12:30 PM 05-13-2013
No gum or candy here at all. Period. Ever.
Meeko 12:37 PM 05-13-2013
No gum here. Don't want to have chocking children or gum in hair, on furniture etc

Maybe Nannyde knows if this is true...... I heard that gum is not good for little tummies.

The chewing produces extra saliva which in turn signals the stomach that food is incoming. The stomach produces extra acid in anticipation of digestion.

When no food arrives, that excess acid can cause problems for immature tummies.

Anyone else heard similar?
mema 12:43 PM 05-13-2013
NO gum for anyone (except for me)!
kelliott 03:05 PM 05-13-2013
my son will turn 3 next month. i have never given him gum and don't think i will until he is school age.. it's a risk, and scaryeven as a parent to think of him choking on it or something!.. i give m&ms and mini candy canes as rewards for my son.. but never gum...

i would just go about your daycare like a school would. the rule is NO gum..and leave it at that.. it's the parents choice to give their 3yo gum but while that child is in your care, YOU make the decisions that will keep the child safe, atleast while under ur watch..if you feel gum is compromising the safety and well-being of the child, then have them toss it out[period]... even explaining is in such a way might make it easier(if the child throws a fit about it).. children respond better when things are calmly talked about and explained to them
Laurel 03:37 PM 05-13-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
No gum here. Don't want to have chocking children or gum in hair, on furniture etc

Maybe Nannyde knows if this is true...... I heard that gum is not good for little tummies.

The chewing produces extra saliva which in turn signals the stomach that food is incoming. The stomach produces extra acid in anticipation of digestion.

I have no idea but my gastroenterologist said for me not to chew gum. I was only seeing him for a colonoscopy. I really didn't ask him why. He is big on no soda and no gum.

However, it was determined that I had acid reflux and the pamphlet he gave me said to chew gum for that I'm not gonna see him for 3 more years to do another colonoscopy and I'm not curious enough to call him and ask him about it....

Laurel
MamaBearCanada 03:45 PM 05-13-2013
No gum here. If kids arrive with it they must spit it into the trash as soon as they come in.
lovemykidstoo 04:21 PM 05-13-2013
Well, the dcb came in and I had him toss it immediately. He didn't give me any problem about it. Irritates me with this mother though. I continuously tell her no toys and he still brings toys and I take it and put it up immediately too. I only have 3 more months of him and he's off to preschool. Buh bye!
AmyKidsCo 05:58 PM 05-13-2013
No gum here either. Or candy, chips, etc. If they come in finishing a healthy snack I'll let them finish it at the table, otherwise it goes out.
LoraJenkins 07:31 PM 05-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
NO gum here either....way too much of a liability.

I have gumballs I will give the kids but ONLY if they are leaving and the parents say it is ok.

I don't allow gum here during daycare hours under my supervision for ANY age.

I do not allow gum or any type of candy here either. After 20+ years of daycare I could tell some terrible horror stories of trying to clean It off of furniture, out of carpet, out of hair, etc. Nope.....just NOT allowed!
Patches 07:13 AM 05-14-2013
No gum! Last thing I need is gum in someone's hair
youretooloud 08:43 AM 05-14-2013
NO gum here. I'm always upset with the parents, because why should I be the one to make them spit it out?

I'm not concerned about liability. That's on the parents. I'm concerned about my rug, my tile grout, my patio, my furniture, my whatever they can think of. Because they never spit it in the trash.

Plus, they share it when I'm not looking. They put it in their hair. It's not allowed in schools.

Gum should be saved for their house, or their car.
itlw8 09:22 AM 05-14-2013
I do not allow it at all.. I say either put it in Moms hand or the trash.

the school kids stick it under the table or drop it on the ground outside.
Starburst 11:05 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:

I heard that gum (at least sugar free) is actually good for your teeth because the saliva production prevents your mouth from drying out. Dry mouth can cause bad breath. Both bad breath and dry mouth can cause bacteria that causes cavities. It also can help you lose weight (most are less than 5 calories) or quit smoking because people who are prone to binge eating and smoking usually have oral fixations which means they need to keep their mouths busy or have something to chew on.

The only thing bad about gum for tummies I heard is that it can cause gas because it can cause you to swallow more air (more likely if you chew gum like a cow chews cud). But even if you swallow it that myth about it staying in your tummy for 7 years is false, may take a few days or weeks in some cases but it is mostly digestible just like other foods; hair on the other hand is not digestible and after a while of digesting hair it can cause a giant hairball to grow and will event need to be surgically removed- moral of the story: gum is safer than hair for your tummy.

http://www.askdoctork.com/is-chewing...h-201201121079

But I wouldn't let kids chew gum in my program just because I don't want to deal with the mess it would cause if they put it under tables or accidentally spit it out on a carpet or someone's hair, maybe in some cases if they were over a certain age... maybe 14 years old (I would only take kids under 12 lol)
Lorna 12:11 PM 05-14-2013
lol I had a family that the dad was giving a 2 year old gum. Just cause he had it and she wanted it. All of a sudden I couldn't figure out why she wasn't swallowing her food. Just chewing and holding it in her mouth. I kept saying swallow it. Poor kid was so confused because he had been saying don't swallow the gum.
Reply Up