Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long To Exclude Toddler With Croup?
Unregistered 02:02 PM 10-20-2015
DCM texted me this morning telling me she was keeping 20 month old dcb home today because he started running a fever late last night. She just texted me now saying that she took him in to the doctor because he had 103 fever and was having trouble breathing! The doctor immediately put them in an ambulance to go to the ER. They think he has croup and gave him a nebulizer. I have never had a child in care who has had croup. Has anyone experienced this? How long would you exclude the child from care? I read a little about it and it says you need to keep a close eye on them while they sleep to watch for breathing difficulties, agitation and restlessness. This is really scary to me!
Leigh 02:17 PM 10-20-2015
I would exclude until fever free for 24 hours and until barky cough has subsided. If the child is active and well enough to participate in activities after meeting those two criteria, then I'd let him attend. I'm more cautious about croup when I have kids under 18 months in care.
midaycare 03:10 PM 10-20-2015
I agree with pp. Croup is funny. It can get worse at certain times of the day. If child is barking when coughing - and you'll know when you hear it - you need to send home asap. It can be serious or sometimes just a light bout. My DS has been hospitalized for it a few times, and home sick with it a lot during his first 6 years.
Unregistered 03:27 PM 10-20-2015
I just got word that he is being admitted to the hospital. Thanks for the information! It is so scary to think about how quickly they can go downhill with this. I will definitely be on high alert when he does come back.
NeedaVaca 03:30 PM 10-20-2015
Dr. told one of my families to stay out of daycare 3-5 days as it's very contagious.
hope 05:09 PM 10-20-2015
I dealt with a dck with croup last year. Fever free for 24 hours of course but I added that the cough had to be under control. It could not be excessive. The child needed to feel comfortable to play.
Reply Up