Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking Of Wierdos And Red Flags
PolarCare 02:26 PM 07-12-2011
Providers,
What are some things that you have learned from experience that now appear as "red flags" when you are interviewing? Indications that you don't really want to take this family on?

Obviously the no call/no show is one of mine. It says to me that the person is either a poor planner or just doesn't feel the need to follow through on obligations or communicate about not following through. It's rude and demonstrates a disrespect for my time.

Also, if I ask questions in my preliminary interview and the parent/s seem to skirt the issue, not want to answer, or they don't seem to be on the same page with the answer.

I give out a rate sheet with my packet, and I ask all parents to thoroughly read my packet, schedule, policies, etc BEFORE the preliminary issue. It says in BOLD LETTERS on my rate sheet and scheduling sheet that these are non negotiable, so if they don't work for a family, please do not waste their time or mine. It is definately a red flag when someone then schedules an interview and it seems to go well, and then they pop out with "all I'm able to pay is _____." or "I can't pay weekly" or "I can't pay the deposit". I thought "non-negotiable" was pretty clear
Michael 03:16 PM 07-12-2011
That word "weird" has popped up so much today I started a "Weird" tag.
nannyde 03:40 PM 07-12-2011
Padding time into the daycare hours they don't need.

HUGE red flag.
daycare 03:55 PM 07-12-2011
Red Flad words for me:

Do you do weekends?

My child doesnt like fruits and veggies

My 1.5 year old is potty trained

Some times grandma watches them so we can get a break on our DC fees.

Oh, you close at 6, we will have to fly straight here every day after work to make it on time.

Is the whole amount of $250.00 due each week?

What kind of medicine should I bring to DC for my kid when they are sick?

Little johnny is such an angel...............

We don't want our child to nap while at DC

Can we only pay for the days that we use the DC?

OMG I can go on and on lol....
Hunni Bee 04:29 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Red Flad words for me:

Do you do weekends?

My child doesnt like fruits and veggies

My 1.5 year old is potty trained

Some times grandma watches them so we can get a break on our DC fees.

Oh, you close at 6, we will have to fly straight here every day after work to make it on time.

Is the whole amount of $250.00 due each week?

What kind of medicine should I bring to DC for my kid when they are sick?

Little johnny is such an angel...............

We don't want our child to nap while at DC

Can we only pay for the days that we use the DC?

OMG I can go on and on lol....
LOL at "My 1.5 year old is potty trained"
PitterPatter 05:01 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
Providers,
What are some things that you have learned from experience that now appear as "red flags" when you are interviewing? Indications that you don't really want to take this family on?

Obviously the no call/no show is one of mine. It says to me that the person is either a poor planner or just doesn't feel the need to follow through on obligations or communicate about not following through. It's rude and demonstrates a disrespect for my time.

Also, if I ask questions in my preliminary interview and the parent/s seem to skirt the issue, not want to answer, or they don't seem to be on the same page with the answer.

I give out a rate sheet with my packet, and I ask all parents to thoroughly read my packet, schedule, policies, etc BEFORE the preliminary issue. It says in BOLD LETTERS on my rate sheet and scheduling sheet that these are non negotiable, so if they don't work for a family, please do not waste their time or mine. It is definately a red flag when someone then schedules an interview and it seems to go well, and then they pop out with "all I'm able to pay is _____." or "I can't pay weekly" or "I can't pay the deposit". I thought "non-negotiable" was pretty clear
I had a mother that couldn't keep the kids names / ages straight after 2 phone calls. When I pointed it out she tried to say oh well I am actually just a friend of the Father and I will be doing the interviewing and such for him.

Heh nope bye bye have big daddy call me himself. ...he never called of course.

Another red flag was "sometimes my kid sees thing that aren't there" This after the agreed time and dropped off on the 1st day! He was 12 and that was his only day because he was very bossy to my son and I, and did nothing but lay on the sofa with his feet propped all day demanding snacks and drink, give him the remote, etc. He claimed he was tired but was too busy barking at the other kids for making too much noise while they were playing. He never mentioned seeing anything thank God! I told the Mom at pick up we can't continue and I even let her go without paying a dime just to get them away.

Other red flags off the top of my head have been:

"Our pick up time will fluctuate"

"I can't balance a checkbook so my Mom keeps it for me so I'm not sure who will pay u but someone will"

"We are almost potty trained"

"Tommy will only eat chicken nuggets"

"When Tammy acts up just turn a couple episodes of spongebob on and she will be fine"

"My baby daddy...." 3 times now had clients use that phrase and it ended up in major drama so now I don't take anyone who uses it. I'm bad huh?
daycare 05:13 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I had a mother that couldn't keep the kids names / ages straight after 2 phone calls. When I pointed it out she tried to say oh well I am actually just a friend of the Father and I will be doing the interviewing and such for him.

Another red flag was "sometimes my kid sees thing that aren't there" This after the agreed time and dropped off on the 1st day! He was 12 and that was his only day because he was very bossy to my son and I, and did nothing but lay on the sofa with his feet propped all day demanding snacks and drink, give him the remote, etc. He claimed he was tired but was too busy barking at the other kids for making too much noise while they were playing. He never mentioned seeing anything thank God! I told the Mom at pick up we can't continue and I even let her go without paying a dime just to get them away.

"I can't balance a checkbook so my Mom keeps it for me so I'm not sure who will pay u but someone will"

"When Tammy acts up just turn a couple episodes of spongebob on and she will be fine"

"My baby daddy...." 3 times now had clients use that phrase and it ended up in major drama so now I don't take anyone who uses it. I'm bad huh?

LMAO OH MY GODNESS!! I had this happen one time and that was enough to NEVER let it happen ever again....

The mom used to come in all decked out like she was going to a club. She worked from 10-6 pm. One day my neighbor comes over and says hey who is that girl that comes in the boots to drop off her kid every day.... I told him one of my DCM. So he says I think I know her.... Turns out she was a stipper working the day shift....lol
She never told he what she did, but she always paid in cash and mostly ones....lol I thought she worked in a restaurant.... She had a baby daddy too and lots of drama.... No more baby daddy....lol
Crystal 05:47 PM 07-12-2011
Anyone who contradicts what they have told me over the phone when they are here for interview. I had a Mom once who seemed golden over the phone. The minute she got here all of her "needs" were suddenly different than what she had originally told me....she needed later hours....trying to negotiate to get me stay open late for her, etc. Not even half way through the interview I showed her the door.
Childminder 05:48 PM 07-12-2011
When the first question out of their mouth is: "What do you charge?"

Second: "Do you take subsidy?"
PolarCare 05:50 PM 07-12-2011

I don't discriminate against single moms. I understand that stuff happens. But I will admit that when I do the background check on the parent and a bunch of Domestic Violence and a string of custody issues pop up under their name, I tend to shy away. It's not that I think the kids don't deserve care, but I notice that drama tends to follow some people, and I absolutely cannot tolerate it.
AfterSchoolMom 06:01 PM 07-12-2011
If the very first thing out of their mouths on the first contact are "what are your rates" then I know they're either just fishing or are planning on arguing with me about cost.

"Little Johnny is on behavior meds, but he just takes a low dose in the morning." They're really saying "Little Johnny takes just enough meds to get him through the school day but will be impossible to deal with by the time he gets to your house."

Saying "I may be a few minutes late now and then if I can't get out of work" means "I'll be late all the time, won't call to tell you, and won't pay you extra for it".

"Boy, your contract is SO strict" - Instant bye bye. No way.
MamaJ 06:01 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by :
LOL at "My 1.5 year old is potty trained"
My DD was daytime trained at 20 months...truly. just sayin'
cheerfuldom 06:01 PM 07-12-2011
Anybody who is immediately fighting me on every policy. A few questions to clarfiy is appropriate but you all know what extreme I am talking about. I'm not going to justify every policy, take it or leave it.
TBird 06:07 PM 07-12-2011
I agree with all of these!!!

Please add this one (this is at the end of the interview when they haven't even read over your handbook). "Oh I like this...can I pay you now and have Little Johnny start in the morning???"

Uh Uh...this chick is on the run because she fell out with her last childcare provider, probably over non-payment. RUN LIKE THE WIIIIIIIIIIIND!!!
E Daycare 07:13 PM 07-12-2011
Man I wish I wouldve known about this one because whoa whee I had some issues with that too. So much drama it made me exhausted. I kept telling my SIL "I have no drama but other peoples drama".

Ill go along with someone scheduling a interview and that day, 10 minutes before the interview call and say "well little johnny is still sleeping and since we were at the pool Ill just let him sleep and maybe we can come some time next week". Yeah, I doubt it. They havent called back.

Another recent one is from my current dck and a referral. My dcp mentioned to me when they started in April that her friend also needed care for her 3yr old son. She also hinted that he may have some friend issues(1st red flag). I took it that the kid was probably a problem child. Anyways, to give benefit of the doubt I still said "well sure they can interview". The mom called to talk about things and made it seem like she wanted to come asap. So far she has flaked 3 times(BEEP BEEP RED FLAG). Im finally full for the start of the new year with pretty much all teachers kids (YAY so excited for that, I love their schedule) so I was very happy to tell her I was full.

She sounded very upset when I said I was full but why do some parents think we are at call for them and will just wait around? Its July, why would I wait from April and say "sure I saved a spot just for you!"?

Heres what Ive found:

Being flaky
Having fleas
Baby daddy issues
Asking for reduced rate
No call no show and then a call again to "reschedule"
Showing up on my door step when not scheduled and then just leaving the kid there.
Moldy bottles
Baby daddy looking in my windows
Mom and baby daddy fighting in my house
Baby daddys car breaking down in my driveway
Asking me 15 times what my rate is
Acting like the reason why they took their sweet time getting back to me because "grandmas been watching him all summer and hes just been having so much fun" and then getting pissy when I say "welp, Im full and Ill put you on my wait list. 3rd behind". You snooze you lose.

Some were red flags AFTER the fact but Im still learning lol.
SilverSabre25 07:35 PM 07-12-2011
Quibbling over policies. Not just rates or pick-up times, mind you, but any policy--one family had issue with the vacation policy (really? You complain that you get 14 days of vacation free each year?) Turns out this one should have questioned the "two week's notice WITH PAY regardless of attendance" policy.

Questioning the "pay for the spot, not for the usage" policy when they have a variable schedule and need anywhere from two to five days per week due to a retail schedule--then use you despite not liking the policy. Yep, they were gone with no notice within a very short amount of time "we found a new sitter". I'm fine with the variable schedule (LOVE it actually!) but THEY PAY FOR ALL FIVE< EVERY WEEK.

Writing additional things in on one of your forms...such as on the photo release form. One family checked "Yes" but added "so long as she is fully clothed and the photos are used appropriately".
MamaBear 08:06 PM 07-12-2011
My red flags are:

I know there are so many more... but those are the worst ones I've heard! haha
pfund2233 08:30 PM 07-12-2011

LMAO OH MY GODNESS!! I had this happen one time and that was enough to NEVER let it happen ever again....

The mom used to come in all decked out like she was going to a club. She worked from 10-6 pm. One day my neighbor comes over and says hey who is that girl that comes in the boots to drop off her kid every day.... I told him one of my DCM. So he says I think I know her.... Turns out she was a stipper working the day shift....lol
She never told he what she did, but she always paid in cash and mostly ones....lol I thought she worked in a restaurant.... She had a baby daddy too and lots of drama.... No more baby daddy....lol
Stripper eh?? And to think those ones could have been in her whatever and that's what she paid with? GROSS!!!! LOL
pfund2233 08:33 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
My DD was daytime trained at 20 months...truly. just sayin'
I was FULLY trained at 18mo. My sitter did it I guess by what my parents said. But I have always been very smart!!
flightlessbird11 08:40 PM 07-12-2011
These are all great! Some red flags for me:

When the parent asks,"so..do you really enforce all your policies?"
When they have a list a mile long of their child's needs/likes/dislikes/etc.
Of course when they don't show up for an interview~I had a parent just respond to my craigslist ad, who no showed on me in January!

Another red flag is when we are interviewing and it just doesn't seem to flow. You know, like there are a lot of weird silences, or we just don't mesh well. I usually go with my gut, because 99.99% of the time~it's right!

This thread is both funny and helpful!!
daycare 08:48 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by pfund2233:
Stripper eh?? And to think those ones could have been in her whatever and that's what she paid with? GROSS!!!! LOL
Omg eeww I can't stop laughing. I never thought of that. Hahahah I can't wait to tell my husband. Lol. What a laugh
Thanks for the laugh!!
laundrymom 08:50 PM 07-12-2011
Ohsugar! Thanks for the towels!!! Lol
littlemissmuffet 09:00 PM 07-12-2011
Me: "What are your hours of work?"
Parent: "Well, we both work until 3pm, but we will be picking up at.... what time do you close?"

Me: "Is Johnny a good eater?"
Parent: "Oh yeah! He always finsihes his burger before his fries..."

Me: "Does Johnny have any allergies?"
Parent: "Just a few... cats, dogs, dust, grass, strawberries, peanuts, milk, Pampers brand diapers, most laundry detergents, perfume scents... oh, and he has asthma and is prone to siezures..."

Parent: "Can I bring Johnny when he's sick?" - after going over my illness policy (which is the FIRST thing I go over in interviews)

Parent: "Do you charge a late fee?"

Parent: "My 2 year old does not need a nap, what will you two be doing while the other children nap?"

Parent: "Is it possible to pay at the end of the month after you've already privded daycare, instead of in advance at the first of the month?"

Parent: "Do you do time outs? We don't believe in them!"

Parent: "We don't like our child hearing negative words like... "no"... it gives kids low self esteem."

Parent: "Do you replace toys from hom that get broekn or lost at daycare??" - after going over my list of NO-NOs (which most def includes no toys from home"

Ugh, I could go on and on too!
PolarCare 09:27 PM 07-12-2011
When they drive a car that costs more than my house and they live in a gated community, and then want to lowball me on my rates.

Did you see a sign that said Felix's Used Cars when you pulled up? Maybe Let's Make a Deal? Dialing for Daycare?

I wonder if some of these people would like to show up at work and have their boss ask if they would accept 3/4 of their wages this week?

Oh no problem! I'll pick 15 minutes out of every hour and just set Timmy here out on the porch to amuse himself by whatever means he wants, since we're on the discount plan! I need a break anyway!

Actually, maybe I'll just ask parents who want a reduced rate if they could only bring part of their child on days they want to pay less. You know, if you pay 2/3s, then you get to bring the top 2/3s of Timmy.
spud912 10:49 PM 07-12-2011
Single parent texting/talking on the phone during the whole interview. Apparently I was talking to myself?!?
meganlavonnesmommy 03:49 AM 07-13-2011
My biggest red flag is when they call on the phone and ask " Do you have any openings, and how much do you charge". Then immediately respond with "when can my child start".

I've found that if they are the type of parent who will bring their child to care without meeting us first, and touring my home, then they are the type of parent that I DONT want in my home.

The parents that are respectful of you, your home, and your policies are the ones who want to take the time to come and meet you, meet your family, and see your home.

I'm really really lucky right now. I've done care for 5 years, and the group I have right now is by far my best group as far as families. They are all very respectful and amazing.
Pammie 04:12 AM 07-13-2011
My biggest red flags - and ones that cause me to **immediately** end the interview and decline a contract are:

The slightest disrespect to me or my family during the interview.
Parents that don't have control of their child during the interview.

I can handle all the questions about rates/polices - I'm really good at saying "No"
SilverSabre25 06:18 AM 07-13-2011
Oh yes, I remembered another one--when they get visibly annoyed that I don't show them my daughter's room, when they get visibly annoyed when I stop their 18 month old from toddling into my daughter's room, and when they are not satisfied with me pointing down the hallway and saying, "There are our bedrooms and one bathroom; daycare kids are NEVER allowed down this hall, so let's go over here next..."

Also, not bringing their child to the interview. I need to meet at least one parent AND the child. I never specify that they need to bring the kid, because I want to see if they do. I've never landed or accepted a client that didn't bring the child to the interview.
AfterSchoolMom 07:12 AM 07-13-2011
Oh, I thought of some more!

"My baby is a catnapper." Means "He never sleeps and will cry all day long." (I've been burned this way twice - never again!)

When they allow their kids to go into your pantry and pull out food and help themselves to it without permission, with me sitting there with my jaw on the floor (true story).

When they write ALL over the contract, adding their own thoughts and specifications to almost every policy - HA! Yeah right!

When they go on and on about how horrible their previous DCP was, telling you all kinds of personal things about her and every little thing that they perceived at "wrong". It means they'll do the same to you, nine times out of ten.

When two families are vying for the same spot, and one calls you to tell you bad things about the other family. Next!
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:44 AM 07-13-2011

Eeeewww, just thinking about the fact that you were taking money that was shoved in places that I wouldn't let my husband see on my own body was enough to make me think twice about breakfast.
PitterPatter 10:20 AM 07-13-2011
I don't discriminate against single moms. I understand that stuff happens. But I will admit that when I do the background check on the parent and a bunch of Domestic Violence and a string of custody issues pop up under their name, I tend to shy away. It's not that I think the kids don't deserve care, but I notice that drama tends to follow some people, and I absolutely cannot tolerate it.
Most of my clients are single Moms. I have only had 2 Fathers involved in 5 yrs time!

How do u do a background check??? I didnt know we could do that? I admitt I have typed the name into facebook to see if they have a "dramatic wall" lol but other than that how do u go about gaining info? TIA!
PeanutsGalore 10:59 AM 07-13-2011
Most of my clients are single Moms. I have only had 2 Fathers involved in 5 yrs time!

How do u do a background check??? I didnt know we could do that? I admitt I have typed the name into facebook to see if they have a "dramatic wall" lol but other than that how do u go about gaining info? TIA!
That's what I was wondering! I think if I was a bigger center, I'd do a background check, but I don't know if I should or not for 2 or 3 families.
PolarCare 11:54 AM 07-13-2011

I do several things. First, there is a sheet that they fill out with name of both parents (or in cases or a blended family, all parents of children who will be in my care) and birthdates. The sheet also asks where they work, what their schedule is, home addresses for all parents.

Go to your state's court database and look up their name. Find out what they've been to court for. My last family had only been to court for divorces, that was it. A family that filled out paperwork prior to that had been sued in small claims court for non payment by a local daycare provider. The end result was that the provider got a judgement against them and had to file to garnish it from their PFDs. They did not even get an interview here. No pay=no way.

If you get through that step of the process and they look clean, they probably are. However if they are new to the state, you may want to have them bring you an "interested person's report". I require one for every adult that will be picking up from my house. The person goes to the State Trooper's office and gets fingerprinted, presents ID, and the trooper runs their background right then. It'll tell you if they've ever been arrested for anything and if so what for. I know it sounds like a lot but they at least know that I've also required the same of other adults who will have access to my home to pick up kids. I also provide a current interested person's report for every adult living in my home.

You can also look up the person's facebook, myspace, and twitter, and learn a lot about them.

It also never hurts to ask who their previous provider was and why they are no longer with them. There's no way to make them tell you the truth, but you can tell a lot about them from their answer.

I am just super leery about who I let in my home. It may sound like an invasion of privacy, but I don't ask anyone for any info I'm not willing to provide about myself. My life is an open book and I have nothing to hide.
Unregistered 12:51 PM 07-13-2011
Second thing I ask (as a parent) are rates - first is if they have room for a child my DD's age. I figure if they charge way more than I can afford it's not worth my time or theirs to go through an interview or anything else. It may be the best daycare ever, but that isn't going to make my paycheck any higher so I can afford it. I'm also put off by really really low rates, makes me think it's not as professional or something...
Meeko 01:25 PM 07-13-2011
I do several things. First, there is a sheet that they fill out with name of both parents (or in cases or a blended family, all parents of children who will be in my care) and birthdates. The sheet also asks where they work, what their schedule is, home addresses for all parents.

Go to your state's court database and look up their name. Find out what they've been to court for. My last family had only been to court for divorces, that was it. A family that filled out paperwork prior to that had been sued in small claims court for non payment by a local daycare provider. The end result was that the provider got a judgement against them and had to file to garnish it from their PFDs. They did not even get an interview here. No pay=no way.

If you get through that step of the process and they look clean, they probably are. However if they are new to the state, you may want to have them bring you an "interested person's report". I require one for every adult that will be picking up from my house. The person goes to the State Trooper's office and gets fingerprinted, presents ID, and the trooper runs their background right then. It'll tell you if they've ever been arrested for anything and if so what for. I know it sounds like a lot but they at least know that I've also required the same of other adults who will have access to my home to pick up kids. I also provide a current interested person's report for every adult living in my home.

You can also look up the person's facebook, myspace, and twitter, and learn a lot about them.

It also never hurts to ask who their previous provider was and why they are no longer with them. There's no way to make them tell you the truth, but you can tell a lot about them from their answer.

I am just super leery about who I let in my home. It may sound like an invasion of privacy, but I don't ask anyone for any info I'm not willing to provide about myself. My life is an open book and I have nothing to hide.
Also run their names through the state and national sex offenders registry....no matter how nice they appear....
SilverSabre25 01:33 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Second thing I ask (as a parent) are rates - first is if they have room for a child my DD's age. I figure if they charge way more than I can afford it's not worth my time or theirs to go through an interview or anything else. It may be the best daycare ever, but that isn't going to make my paycheck any higher so I can afford it. I'm also put off by really really low rates, makes me think it's not as professional or something...
I figure though that you at least preface those questions with an introduction, "Hi, my name is ______ and I'm looking for childcare for my daughter. I might be interested in yours, but was hoping you could at least answer a couple questions first. Do you have room for an _____ old? You do? Great! Second, would you be willing to tell me how much you charge for (full-time, part-time, 45 hours a week)?"

I get a lot of calls and emails that are just, "Hi, how much do you charge?" and it's very off-putting. Those are probably the types that many of the other ladies on here are saying are red flags.
nannyde 01:45 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I get a lot of calls and emails that are just, "Hi, how much do you charge?" and it's very off-putting. Those are probably the types that many of the other ladies on here are saying are red flags.
It doesn't bother me when people say that. I just answer it with a quesiton.

When they say "what do you charge?" I say " it depends on what hours you need: what hours do you need and what age child do you have?". Then I ask them where they live and work.

I don't want to waste my time talking to someone who can't afford child care. I don't want to talk to someone who lives a half hour away and works a half hour away the other direction.
SilverSabre25 01:52 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It doesn't bother me when people say that. I just answer it with a quesiton.

When they say "what do you charge?" I say " it depends on what hours you need: what hours do you need and what age child do you have?". Then I ask them where they live and work.

I don't want to waste my time talking to someone who can't afford child care. I don't want to talk to someone who lives a half hour away and works a half hour away the other direction.
The ones I get that don't even open with a brief introduction tend to be very short, very rude, and very likely to no-show if we set up an interview. That's my problem with it. Just my experience, and possibly my area. There have been a few that open with that and just repeat the question when I try to get more information.
Tags:no show, rate sheet, rates, red flag, weird
Reply Up