Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have I Ruined My Friendship?
Oneluckymom 10:21 AM 12-15-2011
Today my friend calls me in the morning..."Can I drop off my son this morn, he's not feeling well and I have an exam?"

She helps me with my son getting home from school once in awhile and I really owed her in return.

I said sure no problem.
"Are you sure its not going to be a problem for you?"
"Of course not, the only issue would be if licensing showed up, since I have to maintain records on every kid here, but the chances on them showing TODAY is slim" "Bring him over"

Well, she was worried about me getting in trouble and said she would call someone else.

I felt horrible and it was not my intention for her to have to call someone else. I feel like now I shouldn't call her for help in the future.

Have any of you gone through this?
Zoe 10:26 AM 12-15-2011
It sounds like you've got a great friend there. She understands that you run a business and doesn't want to get you in trouble. Please don't worry about it, you were honest and she understood. If you feel bad, say so, but don't feel that you need to bend your rules for her. It's ok that she finds somebody else this time. If anything, that saved your friendship.
Heidi 10:28 AM 12-15-2011
I don't know how your state is, but if you were in WI, count yourself lucky she didn't take you up on it. They would not only site you, but if you take state funded kids, you would be accused of fraud (???), and they would take away the day's pay for every state kid in your daycare. THen, they would audit you...

Get some paperwork for him for next time. I have a file for "occasional care" for those situations.
mismatchedsocks 10:36 AM 12-15-2011
I would just email her the forms you need to have on file for this kid to be able to be there. Say sorry about today, but can you fill these out and give to me in case this happens again and i can help you out.
newtodaycare22 11:15 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
I would just email her the forms you need to have on file for this kid to be able to be there. Say sorry about today, but can you fill these out and give to me in case this happens again and i can help you out.

Agreed. I have a friend with a preschooler who is not usually in my care, but we did the paperwork just in case. One time she did have an emergency, and I was able to take him with no worries.

You really do have a great friend. She didn't want to put you in a tough spot.
BusyBee 11:21 AM 12-15-2011
I don't see why she would be upset with you! She seemed like she was just being considerate.

I'm just wondering why she would ask a daycare provider to take her sick kid...
cheerfuldom 11:43 AM 12-15-2011
I'm surprised you would let a sick child come over....
SilverSabre25 11:48 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Yep this, definitely.

I don't think you ruined the friendship! I think she was being very understanding.
Oneluckymom 11:55 AM 12-15-2011
Thanks guys. Yes maybe I'm being overly worried. As far as him being sick...he had a stomach ache. Yes, this could be the sign of a flu bug. I was concerned about that for sure, however I would have just kept him on his own (He's an older boy) and he would have occupied himself for a few hours until mom came.
wdmmom 12:39 PM 12-15-2011
Friend or not...if he don't feel well, daycare isn't the place for him.
daycare 04:07 PM 12-15-2011
a few things..don't let someone elses problem become yours........ family, friend or not.

Don't allow sick kids.....

would it really be worth getting into trouble with LIC just to help someone else out that is in a JAM? This would forever haunt you.

I would have just said, I would so love to help you, but I am at my capacity today and I also can only offer my services to "WELL" children. I feel horrible that I can't help you.

If she really is your friend, she would understand and not expect you to put your entire daycare at jeopardy just to fulfill her needs..

Let her know that you can help her in the future... We can't always be at everyone's Mercy, especially when it is not convenient for you.
MommieNana4 04:07 PM 12-15-2011
I agree with the other that getting the required paperwork for your friend's child to have on file is a good move. My grandkids are coming to stay for a week and I emailed my daughter the required paperwork to fill out.
Oneluckymom 08:59 PM 12-15-2011
Thanks everyone, I talked to her and it seems that all is well. I am going to get her the paper work as well as other close friends.
Reply Up