Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CL Ad - Hmmm
AfterSchoolMom 06:04 AM 01-04-2012
There are a lot of things about this that seem "off" to me.... she starts off by giving the ages and genders of all of her DCK's, then says that she "tried working" but didn't like it....then she goes on to describe a typical day:

Originally Posted by :
A little about how our days go around here:
-I serve breakfast (if your child is dropped off before 8:30am) which is usually something simple like cereal, poptarts, yogurt, fruit etc. Sometimes I feel fancy and fix a whole big breakfast but that all depends on how the morning has progressed thus far.
-I do have the tv on in the morning but it isn't on the whole time or for the whole day. Usually it's the Disney channel (because there is only so much of Nick Jr I can take). There are multiple times when I will play a children's movie which is usually on Fridays or if I have nothing else planned for that day. The girl and I usually enjoy this time together.
-There are multiple times when I get on the floor and play with them. We just received lots of fun gifts from Santa (like Legos and our new play kitchen) that the kids just love, well I really like the Legos but who doesn't! They were a staple in my childhood!
-Sometime during the morning, I serve a small snack which usually consists of animal crackers, fruit, yogurt, muffins, etc. Then anywhere from 11:30-12:30 lunch is served. This is a standard pb&j sandwich, noodles, hot dogs, mac and cheese, fries, etc. I also try to serve fruit or veggies with every meal at lunchtime. Of course this does not mean your child will like my veggie/fruit selection.
-After lunch, the children pick up their toys and go to sleep on their mats with their stuffed toys (if they bring one) and their blanket. Naps usually last a couple hours.
-After nap it's usually another small snack then either coloring, learning activities (we are currently learning our ABCs and counting to 20) or just some more good ol' fashioned playing. I generally do the learning thing every other day because I don't want to burn the kids out and we do not color everyday because that gets boring real fast.

A Little About My Background:
After my mother had a bad experience with a sitter so she decided to start up her own daycare in her home when I was a year old. My mother finally decided to go back out into the real world when me and my brother were in our late teens. During the summer and when I got done with my homework, I would help my mom with the children. I loved the summer months because there would always be lots to do. From a young age I was taught to change diapers, feed babies, learned the correct way to hold and burp a baby, and much more. I really enjoyed being able to work and play with the children. My mother showed me that it's never too early to teach the kids to talk, read, write, etc.

I am currently not accepting any child under the age of 1 yr old. I feel that I may be stretched too thin and want to be able to provide for the children equally. With that said, I would absolutely love to be given the chance to care for your precious child.
At first glance, especially from a parent perspective, there's nothing overtly wrong here. However, if you really take the time to read in detail...
Meeko 06:21 AM 01-04-2012
I see what you mean.

She "tries" to add veggies to lunch?!

And meal times are "somewhere" between this time and that time....

....it is written in a way that is too detailed and yet vague at the same time....weird.
Zoe 06:21 AM 01-04-2012
Maybe I'm just tired. What do you see about this ad that is "off"? Zoe needs it to be knocked over her head today!
AfterSchoolMom 06:29 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Maybe I'm just tired. What do you see about this ad that is "off"? Zoe needs it to be knocked over her head today!
Mostly, it's the food I guess. Poptarts, french fries, etc....no set time for meals, she "tries" to serve veggies and then states "of course this does not mean that your child will like my fruit/veggie selection" (which I read as "I won't make your child eat fruits or veggies or try things that they say they don't like).

I don't know, there's just something about this whole thing that I find "off". I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into it. She may be a fantastic provider.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 01-04-2012
I laughed at the over all tone of the ad. She gives a background of what toys she played with and whether or not they color because that gets 'boring' easily. I also laughed at the general "If I feel like it...." attitude. LOL!!

...love the comment about Nick Jr! LOL!!
melissa ann 06:48 AM 01-04-2012
A little about how our days go around here:
-I serve breakfast (if your child is dropped off before 8:30am) which is usually something simple like cereal, poptarts, yogurt, fruit etc. Sometimes I feel fancy and fix a whole big breakfast but that all depends on how the morning has progressed thus far.
-I do have the tv on in the morning but it isn't on the whole time or for the whole day. Usually it's the Disney channel (because there is only so much of Nick Jr I can take). There are multiple times when I will play a children's movie which is usually on Fridays or if I have nothing else planned for that day. How long is it on? And how often does she have nothing else planned?The girl and I usually enjoy this time together.
-There are multiple times when I get on the floor and play with them. What is she doing when she's not on the floor? Hope she is still watching them and not Disney ChannelWe just received lots of fun gifts from Santa (like Legos and our new play kitchen) that the kids just love, well I really like the Legos but who doesn't! They were a staple in my childhood!
-Sometime during the morning, I serve a small snack which usually consists of animal crackers, fruit, yogurt, muffins, etc. Then anywhere from 11:30-12:30 lunch is served. This is a standard pb&j sandwich, noodles, hot dogs, mac and cheese, fries, etc. I also try to serve fruit or veggies with every meal How hard does she try?at lunchtime. Of course this does not mean your child will like my veggie/fruit selection.
-After lunch, the children pick up their toys and go to sleep on their mats with their stuffed toys (if they bring one) and their blanket. Naps usually last a couple hours.-What does that mean?2, 3, more than that?After nap it's usually another small snack then either coloring, learning activities (we are currently learning our ABCs and counting to 20) or just some more good ol' fashioned playing. I generally do the learning thing every other day because I don't want to burn the kids out and we do not color everyday because that gets boring real fast.My dckids color everyday. They love it. They range from 3 yrs-2nd grade.
A Little About My Background:
After my mother had a bad experience with a sitter so she decided to start up her own daycare in her home when I was a year old. My mother finally decided to go back out into the real world when me and my brother were in our late teens. During the summer and when I got done with my homework, I would help my mom with the children. I loved the summer months because there would always be lots to do. From a young age I was taught to change diapers, feed babies, learned the correct way to hold and burp a baby, and much more. I really enjoyed being able to work and play with the children. My mother showed me that it's never too early to teach the kids to talk, read, write, etc.

I am currently not accepting any child under the age of 1 yr old. I feel that I may be stretched too thin and want to be able to provide for the children equally. With that said, I would absolutely love to be given the chance to care for your precious child.
mismatchedsocks 06:54 AM 01-04-2012
I feel its off too, I dont know exactly what though like you said.

what does "the girl and I usually enjoy this time together? mean
Springdaze 07:14 AM 01-04-2012
I don't know why it matters because none of us are looking for care, but I think she just doesn't have a sophisticated business savvy. Hopefully she can learn about proper nutrition and appropriate activities for the children. Most of these people are probably good caregivers, but we all learned at some point.

I think she is also just being honest and perhaps giving too much information. We all have days where the kids don't eat their veggies and we are not ALWAYS on the floor with the kids. Our schedules aren't always set in stone, they can't be with kids. You just don't say it so nonchalantly!
Michelle 07:16 AM 01-04-2012
Yea a lot of weird comments, she kinda sounds like a minimally educated country girl that loves kids and probably wrote that post at 2 a.m.

She might be a provider that wrote this under an assumed name to make her own ad better? hmmmm
cheerfuldom 07:24 AM 01-04-2012
It sounds like she doesn't want to commit to anything....meal times, nap times, learning opportunities, times when the tv is off (like how she says it is not on often and then says she is burnt out on nick jr.....) She wants to sounds professional without actually committing to anything
AfterSchoolMom 07:38 AM 01-04-2012
I'm glad to see it isn't just me.

On a related note, I'm always afraid that when I post one of these that it'll end up being someone here. In most cases, I feel pretty safe, because most of us know better.
jseg048 08:01 AM 01-04-2012
I agree with Meeko...it's overly descriptive but vague at the same time.
It seems to me like this CL poster is telling us her daily routine with her own kids. She hasn't modified her daily routines for that of an in-home daycare in any way.
If I'm home with my daughter, I'm more relaxed about what we do. But when watching other children, it becomes your job to keep these kids entertained, learning, well-fed, etc.
I also hate the CL daycare ad's with poor grammar/spelling and weird descriptions. It's like, if you can't even spell correctly why would I want you to watch my child? Maybe I'm being a snob...but that's immediately what I think.
melissa ann 08:05 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by jseg048:
I agree with Meeko...it's overly descriptive but vague at the same time.
It seems to me like this CL poster is telling us her daily routine with her own kids. She hasn't modified her daily routines for that of an in-home daycare in any way.
If I'm home with my daughter, I'm more relaxed about what we do. But when watching other children, it becomes your job to keep these kids entertained, learning, well-fed, etc.
I also hate the CL daycare ad's with poor grammar/spelling and weird descriptions. It's like, if you can't even spell correctly why would I want you to watch my child? Maybe I'm being a snob...but that's immediately what I think.

I agree. Why would I want someone who can't spell simple words to help teach my children?
I also hate all this text messaging. I hate all of the abbreviations. This is why kids/teens go into adulthood not knowing how to spell.
Mommy2One 01:32 PM 01-05-2012
Sadly, this is par for course, or maybe even a little above average, for most of the care providers in my area at least the ones advertising on CL. Not all of them write such a lengthy ads but it's very similar to the responses we got when responding with questions via email or interview.

Our area has many start-ups, mostly stay at home moms who want to earn extra money while they stay home with their children. We were very lucky when I initially went back to work to find a stay at home mom who was naturally professional, organized and well-read on children including nutrition who was super reliable and did a great job. When she had to quit due to a family emergency we finally found a great babysitter with a degree in early childhood education who seems to genuinely care about and enjoy my daughter. But the path to finding these women was paved by at least a dozen interviews of the caliber listed above, including the rather misguided ideas of "healthy" meals and snacks and the belief that lots of Nick Jr and Disney Channel were good answers for the role of television in a typical day. I think most of the ladies who respond/write like that and use poor spelling/grammar or text speak, just aren't viewing it as a professional business venture yet and more of a long playdate or a typical day with their own kids.

That particular ad seems off to me because it's pretty negative: "because there is only so much of Nick Jr I can take" "we do not color everyday because that gets boring real fast." "My mother finally decided to go back out into the real world"
Reply Up