Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Know If Its The Flu?
Country Kids 12:37 PM 01-08-2013
How do you know if you have the flu or not. About two months ago something swept through here and I had almost everyone out sick and I came down with it too. It seemed like a bad, bad headcold though not the flu. Everyone had dripping noses/congestion/coughing/runny eyes/fevers/chills/no energy.

I had the chills really, really bad one night-did I say really bad. I was shaking sooooo bad that I couldn't fall asleep. I actually had the hubs lay on me partially with it back to me so I could kinda curl up under his back (I know weird) but having his body heat against me helped. Wasn't comfy for him but I was desperate!

I always thought the flu was vomiting/throwing up/chills and a fever. The more I read though its not always the case.

So how do you know if you truly have the flu or not?
MNMum 12:42 PM 01-08-2013
"The Flu" - which is covered by the vaccine, is the respiratory version - common misconception that it includes vomiting/diarhea. Sometimes children may have vomiting due to the associated resp issues. The only real way to know is if you go in and are tested.

Our family knew without a doubt because my husband and I did not get sick, but our unvaccinated children did.
MaryM 12:42 PM 01-08-2013
Sounds like flu to me! I had it one yr even after having shot & that's exactly what it felt like. Came on quick too. I went to urgent care & they did nasal swab test & it came back positive.
Country Kids 12:46 PM 01-08-2013
The thing though is usually I have to close and be in bed when I'm sick-not this time. I just kept drinking airborne, sucking vit. c drops and was better in like 2 days. Usually, I'm throwing up/diarehha,etc.

So thats why I'm not sure if it was just a bad head cold or the flu.
Blackcat31 01:04 PM 01-08-2013
http://www.flufacts.com/know/what-is.jsp

AWESOME site for how to tell the difference. Scroll down a tad for the chart of symptoms.
Country Kids 01:15 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.flufacts.com/know/what-is.jsp

AWESOME site for how to tell the difference. Scroll down a tad for the chart of symptoms.

Thanks BC-I checked it out. We all had symptoms from both sides so who knows what it was. Thanks for the chart though!
familyschoolcare 01:29 PM 01-08-2013
So, not to sound stupid or anything but why do you need to know if it is the flu. Asuming of course that you are not literally on your death bed.
Country Kids 01:36 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
So, not to sound stupid or anything but why do you need to know if it is the flu. Asuming of course that you are not literally on your death bed.
I was thinking of possibly getting the shot but if we have already had the flu I don't think I would need it or wondering if I didn't get it that bad or maybe my body was able to knock it out pretty quick. All my kiddo's had it do and we all thought it was a bad head cold but now looking at the symptoms we had them from both sides so maybe it wasn't a bad head cold but not a full blown case of the flu.

Also, for in the future when you here I'm keeping them home their not feeling well they are doing.........I will know if we have been exposed to either a cold or the flu.
familyschoolcare 05:10 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I was thinking of possibly getting the shot but if we have already had the flu I don't think I would need it or wondering if I didn't get it that bad or maybe my body was able to knock it out pretty quick. All my kiddo's had it do and we all thought it was a bad head cold but now looking at the symptoms we had them from both sides so maybe it wasn't a bad head cold but not a full blown case of the flu.

Also, for in the future when you here I'm keeping them home their not feeling well they are doing.........I will know if we have been exposed to either a cold or the flu.
Oh, those reasons make sense thank you for sharing.
lovemykidstoo 05:28 PM 01-08-2013
Sounds like the flu to me. I have read that most cases where people are vomiting they actually have food poisoning.
Reply Up