Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Forgot To Mention...
Shell 09:31 AM 09-10-2013
She gave dcg an extra dose of miralax this morning! I called to see what could be going on, and that's when dcm mentioned she was a little backed up the past few days. I've never seen so much from one child ever-hopefully the worst is over
blandino 09:34 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
She gave dcg an extra dose of miralax this morning! I called to see what could be going on, and that's when dcm mentioned she was a little backed up the past few days. I've never seen so much from one child ever-hopefully the worst is over

Nice, how she did it in the morning instead of yesterday or today in the early evening.
Shell 09:59 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Nice, how she did it in the morning instead of yesterday or today in the early evening.
Right?! And, dcg only comes 2x's a week -great timing for me to have to deal with it
Cat Herder 10:10 AM 09-10-2013
Maybe you could forget to inform Mom you gave her a mountain dew, chili dog and chocolate covered raisins right before going home time???
Shell 10:18 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Maybe you could forget to inform Mom you gave her a mountain dew, chili dog and chocolate covered raisins right before going home time???

BumbleBee 10:19 AM 09-10-2013
We need a "like" button!
daycarediva 10:21 AM 09-10-2013
and a full bag of cotton candy.

In all seriousness, I would send home if it's a diapered child.
MotherNature 11:12 AM 09-10-2013
ewww. sorry you got stuck with that. Nice that she was like," Here, take this poop fountain in waiting..gotta run!" I can see her doing that sideways cartoon step that suddenly bursts into a full run w/ a cloud of dust behind it.
Angelsj 12:07 PM 09-10-2013

You know, if you aren't going to warn us about these kind of posts, we at least need a "drink spit, ruin the keyboard" smilie!!
littlemissmuffet 12:53 PM 09-10-2013
Rude. I'd have sent the child home and said "next time, ensure that the dose is given on your time, not mine".

I don't care why a child has diarhea... they aren't staying at my house!
spud912 02:07 PM 09-10-2013
This happens to me ALL.THE.TIME. "Sorry about the blow out/accident, _________ seemed uncomfortable last night so I loaded him/her up on prunes/applesauce/corn/beans/Miralax last night. I didn't think that would happen."

In fact, this happens so frequently I should just put something in the contract about telling me beforehand or they need to do their laxatives on their own time. The parents should be so happy I am not squeamish about these things because it seriously happens about once or twice a week for the past 3 months where I'm cleaning feces out of clothing and any other area it manages to spread when I don't notice within 5 seconds of the "accident." This isn't just one child either.....this is everyone of them!
Hunni Bee 02:09 PM 09-10-2013
I had the same thing happen to me once, except that the dcg had been refusing to poop for a few WEEKS and she still tried to hold it when the laxative starting working. Only about half of it made it into the potty, and it smelled horrible.

Oh, and the dcm didn't bother telling me until I called to tell her dcg had just dropped her weight in poo

She took her home and bathed her, and them tried to bring her back. Um, no.
e.j. 03:53 PM 09-10-2013
On Monday mornings, I usually get, "He/she was constipated all weekend so I gave her some extra prunes this morning." Yeah....thanks.
MBF 04:11 PM 09-10-2013
I've had this as well, DCG held it all week, they would dose thurs. night, so I would get an explosion on Friday! Had to put a stop to it, can't bath one child while trying to look after the other 4!
Cradle2crayons 04:38 PM 09-10-2013
I've rarely had a child that need laxatives but it wouldn't happen more than once. I'd call for an immediate pick up and the parents would get the point.
Shell 05:19 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
ewww. sorry you got stuck with that. Nice that she was like," Here, take this poop fountain in waiting..gotta run!" I can see her doing that sideways cartoon step that suddenly bursts into a full run w/ a cloud of dust behind it.

Shell 05:21 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I've rarely had a child that need laxatives but it wouldn't happen more than once. I'd call for an immediate pick up and the parents would get the point.

momofboys 04:50 AM 09-11-2013
How did things work out?? Today dcd drops off dcg.quickly stating she is "cranky" b/cup half the night with belly issues fron miralax. dcg does seem grumpy - but i am more worried about explosive poop ruining my carpet. ughhhh
countrymom 05:42 AM 09-11-2013
do you guys ever wonder the reason alot of kids are constipated because all they eat is junk. I too had a kid who would hold it and when he went he would clog my toilet. When I found out what he ate, it made sense why he was so constipated. Also, instead of feeding them full of laxatives, they do sell gummies that are fiber ones. Its a shame that now kids have poop problems at such a young age.
Familycare71 05:55 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
do you guys ever wonder the reason alot of kids are constipated because all they eat is junk. I too had a kid who would hold it and when he went he would clog my toilet. When I found out what he ate, it made sense why he was so constipated. Also, instead of feeding them full of laxatives, they do sell gummies that are fiber ones. Its a shame that now kids have poop problems at such a young age.
My Ped says she is now seeing kids with constipation more than anything else- and it isn't just her!
I also attribute it to lack of natural soluble fiber (grains) and lack of hydration! These kids never drink water! When they come here and I give them water they look at me like they have three heads!
momofboys 06:17 AM 09-11-2013
With my own son (when he was 3-years-old, he is now 12!) it was not diet-related. He had a tough/hard to pass BM once & then he refused to go - he was scared it would hurt! This is fairly common with toddlers/preschoolers. It got so bad he hadn't had a normal BM for a while & instead he would pass this liquid stuff that could get out (not sure of the technical jargon - sorry if that's tmi). anyway, his dr put him on miralax & he took it consistently for 4-5 weeks & we slowly weaned him off it. However, I would have never "gave him an extra dose" & then carted him to the sitters. That's just wrong! The little one I am watching is doing okay - no issues as of yet. She is getting fully diapered at nap time! I am sending a reminder note home to the parents that is she is not able to participate in activities or not feeling well due to tummy issues I will send home.
Brooksie 06:33 AM 09-11-2013
I have a dcg here who is 13 and diapered (Severe CP) and she gets backed up. There have been many times that mom will say she's given dcg laxatives and suppositories before care. You think a little girl with a laxative is bad... I have NEVER seen any thing like that. While in the middle of changing a full diaper she would just be steady flowing... There have been times I wanted to send home but its such a problem for her, idk.. This girl is out for a lot of things and mom was on the brink of losing her job so I just dealt with it. Mom has since lost her job and this is dcgs last week here.
craftymissbeth 06:48 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
With my own son (when he was 3-years-old, he is now 12!) it was not diet-related. He had a tough/hard to pass BM once & then he refused to go - he was scared it would hurt! This is fairly common with toddlers/preschoolers. It got so bad he hadn't had a normal BM for a while & instead he would pass this liquid stuff that could get out (not sure of the technical jargon - sorry if that's tmi). anyway, his dr put him on miralax & he took it consistently for 4-5 weeks & we slowly weaned him off it. However, I would have never "gave him an extra dose" & then carted him to the sitters. That's just wrong! The little one I am watching is doing okay - no issues as of yet. She is getting fully diapered at nap time! I am sending a reminder note home to the parents that is she is not able to participate in activities or not feeling well due to tummy issues I will send home.
We've been battling that for almost four years now with my son. It's called encopresis and it's not pretty
momofboys 07:02 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
We've been battling that for almost four years now with my son. It's called encopresis and it's not pretty
I can't imagine - we dealt with it for maybe 3-4 months & it resolved itself slowly after taking the miralax. Sorry you have to deal with this!
Lawson2 09:00 AM 09-11-2013
I have been taking care of two boys who both have constipation problems. A couple of weeks back (this was my second to last week with them), the 6 year old started throwing up bile due to constipation.

On my last week, he hadn't gone to the bathroom in two weeks! The mom loaded him up on laxatives and tells me to put him in a pull up for the day. She told me to also take wipes to clean him, as he was having leakage issues.... Now, this 6 year old also soaks his pull up every night and doesn't mind if he plays in it all morning- the mom doesn't mind either (I nannied for the family, but quit to start my own daycare). I think the night time wetting is strongly tied to his constipation.

As many of you have been saying, his diet is atrocious. The boys do not eat any vegetables, fruit, or whole foods. They drink apple juice by the gallon and no water. The 9 year old has had so many cavities and an abscess tooth already.

On thanksgiving, the 9 year old told me he sat down with a cookie and apple juice for dinner! I have made a few comments about their eating habits to the mom (very nicely, not accusing), but she told the kids it's not any of my business what they eat, they eat just fine (they put tons of salt on already salty fast food, the boys eat the 20 piece chicken nugget for example, they literally don't eat anything but processed food).

I don't understand as a mother, why you would want to see your child suffer!? From the oldest boy with his teeth problems. To the youngest, with severe constipation and bed wetting problems....

Also- I nanny in an area where most people eat very healthy and don't want you feeding any junk to their kids (which is a whole other topic, as I feel moderation is key).

The parents are two highly educated lawyers and here the mom is saying, "I just don't know what I can feed him to help him go to the bathroom more"..... I just have to keep telling myself they're not my kids.....
Leigh 10:50 AM 09-11-2013
I followed this post yesterday, never imagining that today, I would realize that it is MY fault that I have 4 kids with disgusting stools (one my own-who had a blowout on my light colored carpet). We had a birthday party yesterday for a DCK, I purchased the cake (frosting was purple and black) rather than baking one (felt lazy) . These kids eat healthy foods always-I put a SMALL piece of cake into each child, and now all are pooping fluorescent green, goopy, foul-smelling mud!

Can't put this one on anyone but myself, but I'll never feed those kids a grocery store cake again!
Memc2001 12:58 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
LOL, make sure you RETURN the favor some time. I had this happen on Monday. Never seen so much crap. Bleck! When Grandma picked him up she commented and said," oh, they didn't give you the head's up? I gave him lots of prunes last night. He didn't go ALL weekend." Gross.
momofboys 04:22 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Memc2001:
LOL, make sure you RETURN the favor some time. I had this happen on Monday. Never seen so much crap. Bleck! When Grandma picked him up she commented and said," oh, they didn't give you the head's up? I gave him lots of prunes last night. He didn't go ALL weekend." Gross.
Well guess what happened today at naptime???? DCC had a HUGE BM. And of course it is important to note the only reason it didn't make a complete mess was that I had put a diaper on said child (that I supplied). I mentioned to DCM at pick-up that if child is on this medicine she needs to supply pull-ups or diapers for naptime. she seemed to think it wasn't a big deal if her child poops at nap (child wears underwear). I explained I didn't want to have poop get on their expensive cot that they bought to which she said - "Oh that is okay" My point was I don't want to clean it up off the carpet if it gets there or clean the child up, etc. I think she sort of got it then but her concern was more of a "I don't even have pull-ups or diapers at home" Well, I guess you will be buying some tonight!
Shell 04:38 PM 09-11-2013
Love these stories, and glad I'm not alone

So, to follow up on yesterday- the dcg that was given the laxative finally stopped going, mom sent me an email apologizing, and I sat to relax and enjoy the quiet of nap time.

Well, I should have known something was up when another dcg who usually needs a lot of reminders to be quiet at rest time was awfully quiet. She finally screams my name, and I went running over thinking something horrible had happened. She gives me the most devilish smile, cocks her head to the side, and says, "Mrs. Michelle- I pooped" (in her underwear)

When dh came home from work, I had every window open, Mr. Clean with Febreeze in all the sinks. I felt like I was covered in you know what and needed therapy after yesterday
blandino 04:54 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Well guess what happened today at naptime???? DCC had a HUGE BM. And of course it is important to note the only reason it didn't make a complete mess was that I had put a diaper on said child (that I supplied). I mentioned to DCM at pick-up that if child is on this medicine she needs to supply pull-ups or diapers for naptime. she seemed to think it wasn't a big deal if her child poops at nap (child wears underwear). I explained I didn't want to have poop get on their expensive cot that they bought to which she said - "Oh that is okay" My point was I don't want to clean it up off the carpet if it gets there or clean the child up, etc. I think she sort of got it then but her concern was more of a "I don't even have pull-ups or diapers at home" Well, I guess you will be buying some tonight!
I guess she would rather you buy a new cot than her have to buy a pack of pull-ups.

I will never forget one time I had a DCM whose son was having digestive issues and loose BMs (not diarrhea), and one leaked out of the diaper. She said "ohhhh poor little guy" and at this point we were so riled up about her in general that I said "oh poor miss B, I get to spend my night cleaning carpets". And she said "don't you have a carpet shampooer ?".

Yes I do, but would rather not spend an evening doing that.
momofboys 10:04 AM 09-12-2013
I guess she would rather you buy a new cot than her have to buy a pack of pull-ups.

I will never forget one time I had a DCM whose son was having digestive issues and loose BMs (not diarrhea), and one leaked out of the diaper. She said "ohhhh poor little guy" and at this point we were so riled up about her in general that I said "oh poor miss B, I get to spend my night cleaning carpets". And she said "don't you have a carpet shampooer ?".

Yes I do, but would rather not spend an evening doing that.
Well duh, you love to clean carpets, right????! What a fun night! Unfortunately, DCM did not bring a diaper or a pull-up She sent a pair of plastic pants - Grrrrrr - yes, & that will help with the poop when it it stuck in your son's underwear. If he poops again at nap the underwear are NOT getting touched by me at all. I am more mad at the fact that she disrespected what I asked her to do - as if it was just a suggestion to bring pull-ups. I am not sure if I will be addressing it or not.
Leigh 02:18 PM 09-12-2013
I would address it. I would tell mom that while plastic pants work well for her at home, you simply do not have the time to deal with the mess, and that you MUST have diapers for tomorrow. Tell her that you INSIST that the child have diapers tomorrow.
Tags:bowel movement, miralax
Reply Up