Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cardboard Blocks
Maggie 07:26 AM 10-24-2014
Does anyone have those big cardboard blocks that look like bricks? I'm thinking of getting them for the kids for Christmas. They look like they take up a lot of space so I want to make sure it's something they will use. The ones I'm looking at come with 24 would that be enough to build anything with or should I get two sets? Any suggestions on how to store them?
Hazel 07:41 AM 10-24-2014
I had them. They took up a ton of space and although they are tough, it depends on the kids you have. Here I could only get them out as an activity, not free play. If I didn't stand over them while they played with them they really took a beating. Thrown, stomped on, chewed... And this was my preschoolers. I eventually ditched them bc they just got gross and couldn't be cleaned properly. I bought the big Lego ones and they held up much better. I kept them in a large tote, better storage and at the end of the week I'd fill with water and bleach right in the tote... Let them soak then dump them out to rinse and dry in the utility tub... Easy peasy
nothingwithoutjoy 08:06 AM 10-24-2014
I have two sets of bricks (yes, I think you need two; one's not enough). They are stored in two tall stacks in a narrow space between a wardrobe and the wall in my family room. You barely notice them there. They are one of the most-used toys here. I got them when I started with kids ages 0-2 1/2. Now, 8 years later, my group is 2-5 1/2, and they still use them every day. They're starting to look a bit worn, and in another year or two I'd probably want to replace them. But that's 10 years of hard use; well worth the investment!
EchoMom 08:14 AM 10-24-2014
I also had them. I didn't love them and wouldn't get them again. There are better building options. They fell apart pretty quickly but mostly I didn't Like them because since they have almost no weight to them, They fall over and so really can't build tall or study for creative play.
Rockgirl 08:40 AM 10-24-2014
I have several sets. We like them, but they are not available to the kids for free play. The plain rectangular ones have held up really well, but the other shapes, not so much. I ordered mine from Lillian Vernon.
Annalee 08:42 AM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I also had them. I didn't love them and wouldn't get them again. There are better building options. They fell apart pretty quickly but mostly I didn't Like them because since they have almost no weight to them, They fall over and so really can't build tall or study for creative play.
I stuffed mine with newspaper and then covered the end with clear shipping tape....works really well!
daycare 08:56 AM 10-24-2014
we have the 24 set they do take up a lot of space, but the kids love them. they play well with them, but my kids are older. 3-5years...

They love that they are allowed to stack these higher than they are tall. The wood ones we can't stack higher than our knees.

I could see that if you have little ones they might sit on them and they would get ruined quickly.

I have the kids put them in a tote that stores nicely under the shelf.
Maggie 09:18 AM 10-24-2014
Thank you all for your replies. It's not a huge investment so I think I'll get them a set or two and see how it goes. I saw the big Lego type blocks they would love those but man they are expensive!
Shell 09:37 AM 10-24-2014
I have them, and the kids use them the most out of all the blocks. I actually put some in storage because I have a shelf for all building stuff, and I needed the space. The kids do all sorts of cool stuff with them: build roads, stages for pretend concerts, and they did start stepping on them, which I originally told them not to, but they are holding up, so sometimes I let them.
KiddieCahoots 10:35 AM 10-24-2014
I've bought a few boxes of them when they were on clearance at Sam's Club.
So when they get sat on or stepped on, no big deal.
My kids love them!
I rotate these because they do take up a lot of room, but every time I get them out, the kids are in their glory and play for hours.
Childminder 11:17 AM 10-24-2014
I bought a set from a daycare that closed about 10 years ago and a new set about five years ago. They are for the most part all still in use, maybe a couple got trashed, and they are played with often.
Heidi 12:37 PM 10-24-2014
I made about 8 of them with my husbands beer-brewing boxes covered in contact paper. My toddlers love them. They stack them, climb on them, sit on them. I filled a few of them with rice for weight and to make a fun noise.

Since those are a hit, I am thinking about a real set. The covering-in-paper process is just too labor intensive! If I do, I'll put different things in them; rice, corn, paper, bells, shards of glass (haha..just kidding) and tape them like a pp said. I think I'll do material by color. The blue ones rice, the yellow ones bells, the red ones paper? I think there are 3 colors, right?

I do have a nice set of unit blocks, but they are so hard, and my oldest is 3 (and he's leaving in a couple months). Next oldest are 2 year olds, and the unit blocks are must a little too much for them.
Heidi 12:40 PM 10-24-2014
oooh...four colors. What should I put in those?
daycare 12:42 PM 10-24-2014
I got mine from TJMAX a few years ago for a very cheap price....they seem to carry a lot of melissa and doug toys too.
SignMeUp 03:30 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
oooh...four colors. What should I put in those?
Ooh! What about little bouncey balls, like the gumball machine size?
Or maybe some little, and one or two medium sized.
Josiegirl 04:14 PM 10-25-2014
I have bought them at 2 different times and given the surviving blocks to Salvation Army. Two different times. I want the kids to play with them but maybe it's just the groups I've had but the blocks have gotten trashed. So I do the mature thing, stomp my feet, yell no more and get rid of them. Then a couple years later I want them again and go through the whole scenario, forgetting how fast they got trashed before.
Reply Up