Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question re: Taking Walks
Pepperth 01:02 PM 09-22-2015
When you take kids for a walk or go out with them somewhere, do you put a sign up for parents? I ask because I had a dad pick up early today and we were on a short walk. He assumed we were walking and didn't care but it got me thinking. I do have walking field trip permission slips and the dcm knows we take a walk around this time every day. I'm thinking of giving everybody a memo reminding everybody that we walk to the school bus at 3 everyday. (It's so close, I could see his truck in my driveway from the bus stop a block a way)
Unregistered 01:22 PM 09-22-2015
New regs require me to contact all parents when leaving the daycare property. (We also have to carry a first aid kit and emergency phone numbers for all children)
hope 02:31 PM 09-22-2015
If a parent picks up early I may be on a walk, at the local playground, or in my backyard. My door is only unlocked during pick up times so they would knock and if no one answers they would call my cell. I wouldnt put a sign on the door because I would be afraid of a break in. Parents dont seem to mind. They should be happy we are out and about. I have had a dcm walk from my home to meet us once she realized we were out and another drive to the playground.
Thriftylady 02:36 PM 09-22-2015
I leave a small note. But I live in a tiny town so I don't worry much about it.
BabyMonkeys 05:58 PM 09-22-2015
I text the parents anytime we are going somewhere other than a walk that we can literally see the house. The parents like knowing where their littles are. I know if I had to put my babies in daycare when they were little I would want to know where they were, even if I trusted the daycare explicitly. Thank God I didn't have to, I would have been the worst daycare parent ever!
stephanie 06:02 PM 09-22-2015
We have a whiteboard on our classroom door (I work at a center) and we always write a note saying "On a walk" and give one of the teachers' cell phone numbers.
laundrymom 06:06 PM 09-22-2015
I use a commercial stroller that's blue. I lovingly call it the blue bus. I have a magnet I use that's a school bus. I painted it blue. So it's a blue bus. On the locked front door.
Unregistered 04:50 AM 09-23-2015
Regulations require a note on the door.
Crazy8 08:46 AM 09-23-2015
I don't leave a note. I usually go out in the mornings though so if a parent is coming by between 9-11am they would probably let me know that ahead of time. If we go outside in the afternoon I keep it to the backyard.
Play Care 09:19 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I don't leave a note. I usually go out in the mornings though so if a parent is coming by between 9-11am they would probably let me know that ahead of time. If we go outside in the afternoon I keep it to the backyard.
This. We have a daily schedule that we follow so the parents know generally that mornings would be walk time but afternoons are back yard play time.
LindseyA 09:22 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I use a commercial stroller that's blue. I lovingly call it the blue bus. I have a magnet I use that's a school bus. I painted it blue. So it's a blue bus. On the locked front door.
Love this idea!
Pepperth 10:37 AM 09-23-2015
Thanks for your response everybody. We take most of our walks in the morning, but the afternoon 3 pm walk is a must due picking up students from the school bus. Its only a block away and most parents are aware of it. DCD doesn't usually pick up as he is working at that time. He just happened to get out of work early. DCM knows my daily schedule and mentioned that she forgot to tell him about the school bus walk. We were only gone for a few minutes and I can see my driveway from the bus stop, so I noticed when he pulled in. I was just curious how others operate. I absolutely love the idea of the blue bus magnet idea. I'm going to laminate a picture of a school bus that I can hang on my door.
Reply Up