Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Run into a Term
hope 03:28 AM 10-30-2015
Last night, as soon as the last dck left, I went to the store with my own two to get some last minute groceries for Halloween. My DD spotted a dcp and her kids that I didn't take back this year. I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to confrontation so I quickly went in the other direction. About 10 minutes later I hear an ear piercing scream. I was in the back of the store and can hear just how bad it was. The scream went on and on. Other customers started talking and making comments. "Do you think a child is hurt?". "Great parenting". "After 5 minutes it's time to leave with a screaming baby!". I knew that scream all too well. I listened to it everyday.
This is not the first time I have run into a termed family. It happens and I am so uncomfortable each time. This time I was grateful. Have any of you run into termed families and how have you dealt with it?
childcaremom 05:35 AM 10-30-2015
I'm a wimp, too. I duck and avoid.

I know I did nothing wrong but in all instances the parents went off the deep end and the term blew up, so to speak.
Play Care 05:46 AM 10-30-2015
I live in a small town so it's inevitable.
I try to be the bigger person, give a smile, a wave or even a hello! if warranted.
I sometimes wish I lived in an area where I could avoid
hope 05:59 AM 10-30-2015
It always seems to be at the grocery store that I see them. This one dcm is a drama queen and was headed right towards me. I am fine with the ones who ignore me and silently hate me but I don't know what to do with this one but run!!!!!
Baby Beluga 06:33 AM 10-30-2015
I have termed one family and have run into the mom/DCK twice in the past year. The first time I heard DCK whining "I waaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnttttttttt" in the store. I KNEW that sound and without actually seeing mom made a beeline in the other direction only to have her show up directly behind me at the checkout lane. We exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes then she told DCK they forgot something and went back to get it.
Blackcat31 08:47 AM 10-30-2015
I don't term very often but on the few occasions that I have it was due to either bad parental or bad child behavior.

Since I am not the child or the parent that behaved badly, I don't feel the need to "duck and run".

Sounds like you made a good decision to not take that family back.
daycarediva 10:56 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I live in a small town so it's inevitable.
I try to be the bigger person, give a smile, a wave or even a hello! if warranted.
I sometimes wish I lived in an area where I could avoid
Yup. It's less awkward for all parties if I pretend like they're just someone I know.

I ran into TWO termed parents at mother/son night. I smile, waved and I commented Hi! Oh my dcb has gotten so big!" the other one "Wow, dcks hair is SO dark now!" "(They were dying it, I KNEW IT, and I had asked dcm but she denied it. dh, dd and I could SEE the roots growing in, kid would go for a trim/mom's a hairdresser and come back with beautiful blonde highlights. A 3yo. *shudder*)

The hair one just said "Hi, yes it is."

Other one said he started K, said hi to my boys, etc before walking away.
TXhomedaycare 11:37 AM 10-30-2015
Yes. I recently ran into a family I termed due the siblings (3 &4 yo) being terrible. They were at my son's karate class. I said hello and tried avoiding eye contact with them for 30 minutes. The mom and dad were there and the mom was not happy to see my (embarrassed ) because she still owes me money. She had recently called to see if I could take them back and said she would pay me what she owes me. I told her no but I will take the money that she promised to pay me. Never heard back
DaveA 11:51 AM 10-30-2015
I just be polite, make as little conversation as necessary, and then disengage. Couldn't care less if they want to talk, make nice, or are still mad at me.
Annalee 11:55 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I just be polite, make as little conversation as necessary, and then disengage. Couldn't care less if they want to talk, make nice, or are still mad at me.
This is me. I just treat it like everything is going just fine...usually when I term (4 times in 23 years) the parent is the one wanting to dodge me cause they are the ones that messed up
KidGrind 03:52 PM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
Last night, as soon as the last dck left, I went to the store with my own two to get some last minute groceries for Halloween. My DD spotted a dcp and her kids that I didn't take back this year. I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to confrontation so I quickly went in the other direction. About 10 minutes later I hear an ear piercing scream. I was in the back of the store and can hear just how bad it was. The scream went on and on. Other customers started talking and making comments. "Do you think a child is hurt?". "Great parenting". "After 5 minutes it's time to leave with a screaming baby!". I knew that scream all too well. I listened to it everyday.
This is not the first time I have run into a termed family. It happens and I am so uncomfortable each time. This time I was grateful. Have any of you run into termed families and how have you dealt with it?
Yes, I do one of two things.

I looked them dead in their eyes and say, “Hello” and keep doing what I am doing.

or

I looked them dead in their eyes, shake my head in disgust as I keep doing what I am doing.
Reply Up