Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Kids Jealous of DC kids?!
Amylyn930 05:01 AM 11-05-2010
Okay.. so I am new to the DC thing. I have a 17 month old son, who at first seemed to love having kids to play with everyday. However, this past week he has become MEAN.. but only to one little 10 month old boy (the youngest I have).

He doesnt want to share with him.. if my son sees the little boy playing with toys he tries to rip them from his hands/ attack him. If my son sees him touching me he grabs his hands off of me and pulls his hair..

Ive been telling him NO in a very stern voice when he does it, and then I show him how to use 'gentle' hands. He understands the word gentle.. but it kept happening. Then I started putting him in timeout when it happens for a minute. I get to his level and explain that its okay to be angry.. but he may not touch the other kids like that, and we must use gentle hands..

However.. each time I discipline at him/ he doesnt get his way and still sees the 10 month old playing with the other toys it turns into a HUGE tantrum/ meltdown/ he just wants to be held..

I feel like its causing my son a lot of stress, and I am starting to feel guilty. But at the same time I am preg with #2 and I am due in May.. so he kinda has to learn this one way or another right??

Any suggestions/ experience/ advice/ information will all be greatly appreciated
DCMomOf3 10:45 AM 11-05-2010
in my experience it's not only normal for an only child, but one of that age, and one with changes like you have going on. I would advise NOT to cuddle or soothe if HE is the one not behaving. Cuddle, soothe the other child. Not nice behavior shouldn't be rewarded. Just stay consistant and eventually he will learn. Say things like "we share our toys", "It's x's turn now, you can play when he is done" "No hitting, give him a hug and say you are sorry". Redirect and give him other options of toys.
Tags:jealous, provider children, rivalry
Reply Up