Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated with Daycare Parent
busymommy0420 10:03 AM 12-28-2011
My one Daycare Mom is really making me upset! I am closed Monday and Friday this week and only have two children Thursday and Yesterday and three today. The children all come at 10:00 except her daughter who I assumed would come at the normal 7:30am. Yesterday I got up and waited and she did not show until 8:15 and now 8:30 today. I asked the Mom if tomorrow would be the same and she said yes. Geeez thanks for telling me, I really would have liked to sleep another 30-45 minutes.

I had given her a check back in October for her vacation week (she has auto pay so it was easier to just give her a check then for her to stop the payment). She LOST my check, so now I have to give her another one. Agggh I mean come on she has one child and can't stay organized and now my checking account number can be anywhere. Last week her daughter wore the same pants two days in a row and has come both days this week with no hat or gloves. It is 20 degrees out. I am positive she is off the three days daycare is open and just dropping her daughter here. It makes me sad for the child, I get paid either way and my daughters have fun with her daughter but how sad? Sorry, I am just frustrated with her today...OK Vent over back to relaxing during naptime.
newtodaycare22 10:14 AM 12-28-2011
Are you sure I don't have this parent too?
SandeeAR 10:21 AM 12-28-2011
Before you reissue the check, require her to pay a stop payment on the past check. That way it can't ever be cashed.
daycare 10:44 AM 12-28-2011
yes this.... you wouldnt believe that someone you think you can trust would do this to you..

My first year doing DC, I had to issue a refund, because they decided not to stay after the two week trail that I have. I gave a check, they "LOST it"
I did not place a stop payment on it..Well I mail them a new one and everything was fine, so i thought. Two months later the other check they "LOST" was found and it was cashed. I was so so mad and I could not do anything to get it back.... Even though I did ask, they denied ever cashing it and I tired to send them a bill with proof that they did cash it. In the end, I was out the money.... It was not worth fighting for in my eyes....

have them pay the 10 or $15 that is required to place a stop payment on the check. They lost it, not you so they have to pay the consequences. I would also automatically deduct it from the check before you give it to them.
mismatchedsocks 10:45 AM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Before you reissue the check, require her to pay a stop payment on the past check. That way it can't ever be cashed.

Agree with this! I can see this mom cashing it later when she "finds" it, and not remembering you gave her another one.
busymommy0420 11:18 AM 12-28-2011
I called the bank and asked how much a stop payment is. It os $35.00, I e-mailed the Mom that the check was indeed not cashed and I would be glad to write her a check today less the $35.00 stop payment fee. Agghhh butterflies in my tummy now...I don't know why though??? I didn't loose it.
momofboys 11:18 AM 12-28-2011
I'd also require they pay to stop payment but at my bank I am fairly certain the fee is a lot higher to stop payment, more like $30!
My Daycare 11:50 AM 12-28-2011
Don't feel bad about asking for the stop payment fee. Since the check is lost, you don't know who may have it. It could be cashed by anyone and not necessarily the dcp.
SandeeAR 12:18 PM 12-28-2011
Make sure you have the stop payment proof from the bank, before giving her the new check.
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
My one Daycare Mom is really making me upset! I am closed Monday and Friday this week and only have two children Thursday and Yesterday and three today. The children all come at 10:00 except her daughter who I assumed would come at the normal 7:30am. Yesterday I got up and waited and she did not show until 8:15 and now 8:30 today. I asked the Mom if tomorrow would be the same and she said yes. Geeez thanks for telling me, I really would have liked to sleep another 30-45 minutes.

I had given her a check back in October for her vacation week (she has auto pay so it was easier to just give her a check then for her to stop the payment). She LOST my check, so now I have to give her another one. Agggh I mean come on she has one child and can't stay organized and now my checking account number can be anywhere. Last week her daughter wore the same pants two days in a row and has come both days this week with no hat or gloves. It is 20 degrees out. I am positive she is off the three days daycare is open and just dropping her daughter here. It makes me sad for the child, I get paid either way and my daughters have fun with her daughter but how sad? Sorry, I am just frustrated with her today...OK Vent over back to relaxing during naptime.
Can you just give her "credit" for the amount of lost check? I understand that she does auto-pay to you, but in all honesty, I'd let her figure it all out. NOT really your problem that she lost a check you already issued.

Also, why is this just now coming up? If you gave her the check in October, why is she just now mentioning it at the end of December? Seems a bit odd.

As far as arriving without the proper gear (hats/gloves); do NOT allow her to stay wothout all the requested clothing items. You CAN control that issue with a little firmness.
busymommy0420 07:35 PM 12-28-2011
I sent her an e-mail saying I would issue her a new check today less the $35.00 stop payment fee. She just e-mailed me back and she found the check LOL...WOW I guess a $35.00 fee is a good "looking" motivator huh? Hopefully she will dress her child warm tomorrow, I am posting another reminder on facebook regarding appropriate winter gear. I bought my daughters 12 pairs of gloves and mittens for Christmas. They always have them on and hats. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
Tags:courtesy, late arrivals, parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up