Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Toddler
gumdrops 11:53 AM 06-27-2018
I have a new DCG3, almost 4. I feel like ALL DAY LONG I'm saying, don't do that, stay across the line, we don't sit on shelves, your cup stays in the kitchen, don't touch the baby, keep your hands to yourself and on and on and on. Does anyone else struggle with new toddlers? Maybe it's just this particular toddler, but I feel like I have way too many rules. No one else seems to have a problem with my rules though! It's so much easier to start them young!
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
I have a new DCG3, almost 4. I feel like ALL DAY LONG I'm saying, don't do that, stay across the line, we don't sit on shelves, your cup stays in the kitchen, don't touch the baby, keep your hands to yourself and on and on and on. Does anyone else struggle with new toddlers? Maybe it's just this particular toddler, but I feel like I have way too many rules. No one else seems to have a problem with my rules though! It's so much easier to start them young!
Yep... same with all new kids here too
Also agree it’s MUCH easier to start them young..

Random but a toddler here (MN) are up to age 2yrs/24months
Age 2 and they’re preschololers
Unregistered 12:42 PM 06-27-2018
Oh man, I have one like that. It's obvious his family does things differently. I feel like I'm constantly badgering him. "Don't jump on the couch", "no roughhousing", "don't touch", "help pick up toys", "no spitting!!". He sneaks off all the time and refuses to listen then smiles at me whenever I tell him "no" or "you need to listen" which is extremely annoying! Then, mom wipes his nose with his shirt upon pick-up while I'm reaching for a Kleenex and I kinda get why the 2.5 year old and I struggle to see eye to eye.
CalCare 01:20 PM 06-27-2018
Yeah, I don't feel like you have too many rules, really. It's just a different set of social expectations from what he's used to. That can be hard to overcome because nothing you are trying to instill will be reinforced at home. I do feel like children (and all of us) learn to behave differently around different groups of people. Like at work I wouldn't swear like I do in the garage complaining to my husband! Heck I wouldn't even complain in my nice words hahaha. So these kids can learn to follow one style at home and one at childcare/ school, I think.
Consistency in your care will help. If you are always the same way, he will hopefully get used to your way at your house, soon!
Ariana 02:15 PM 06-27-2018
At 4 he is considered a preschooler and should know better. Lots of kids now have ZERO rules at home and rule the roost.

Totally agree that starting them younger is the best way to go!
gumdrops 04:12 AM 06-28-2018
So her getting up during quiet time to run across the room to hit a friend and lay back down to pretend she's sleeping isn't normal? Or later crying to tell me her friend, who is sound asleep, just hit her isn't normal? Manipulation is too much of a liability, I don't think this is going to work out!
Tags:reprimand, toddler
Reply Up