Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The "B" Word...
justgettingstarted 01:17 PM 01-24-2012
I started a new 2.5 year old boy today. He listens well, gets along great with my 2 yo son and we've had a great day so far. The only problem is I'm certain he's saying the B word over and over and over again. I asked him if he was saying "peaches", etc and he said no. I asked him not to say the word again several times and he'd stop then I'd hear it again a while later. Its pretty clear what he's saying. My question is two-fold: how do I handle it in the moment? He's only 2.5 so its a little difficult explaining and I'm afraid that by reacting he'll want to say it more. But I also have to consider my own son and my other DCKs picking it up. I REALLY don't want to have to explain that to another parent. The second question is - how do I bring this up to mom? Should I ask her to work with him at home to make sure it stops?
wdmmom 01:27 PM 01-24-2012
Don't put emphasis or much reaction to the word.

When Tommy says the "B" word, say something that sounds similiar, like Beaches. Yes, Tommy, we all want to go to the BEACH.

Or, every time he says the "B" Word, say Buttered Bread. Saying that has absolutely as little significance as what he's saying. Just keep repeating the same word over and over as often as he does.

I would tell DCM that he appears to be saying something that sounds like the "B" word and see if she can shed any insight as to what he might actually be trying to say or if this is a new word he might have picked up somewhere. Be sure to bring it up so she doesn't automatically assume that he picked it up from you.
Kaddidle Care 01:52 PM 01-24-2012
He might be saying "pictures"~

We all know the "Dump Truck" and "Truck" one. haha! It might be something totally innocent.
JenNJ 02:06 PM 01-24-2012
My son was known for his saying of 'big truck.' It came out one day as "Look! Its daddys big c*ck !" in front of my mom, lol.
justgettingstarted 02:12 PM 01-24-2012
Yes, my son says kitty in a very awkward way This is so clear though. I like the idea of saying another word that sounds like it each time - I'll give this a try and see if it continues before mentioning it to mom. Thanks everyone!!
Hunni Bee 02:16 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
My son was known for his saying of 'big truck.' It came out one day as "Look! Its daddys big c*ck !" in front of my mom, lol.

saved4always 03:42 PM 01-24-2012
I used to watch a little guy who had the same name as my dog...very confusing...lol! I would yell at the dog to come if he wasn't listening and my little dcb would say "oh...ok" in a resigned voice and he would come...lol! So, I started calling the dog "poochie". One day, he kept asking me where the dog was, saying "Where's Poochie"? Except poochie sounded like p*ssy. After I figured out what he was really saying, I told his mom that he was saying "Poochie" just in case she didn't think he was talking about a cat and thought he was talking about a rude word.
MissK 09:26 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by ALM:
I used to watch a little guy who had the same name as my dog...very confusing...lol! I would yell at the dog to come if he wasn't listening and my little dcb would say "oh...ok" in a resigned voice and he would come...lol! So, I started calling the dog "poochie". One day, he kept asking me where the dog was, saying "Where's Poochie"? Except poochie sounded like p*ssy. After I figured out what he was really saying, I told his mom that he was saying "Poochie" just in case she didn't think he was talking about a cat and thought he was talking about a rude word.
hahaha - love it! We had our own fun ones...I remember giddy up horsey sounded like get up p*ssy I just can't help but laugh - then they're the ones looking at me like I'm crazy....hehe
Breezy 11:35 AM 01-25-2012
My little brothers first word was truck but he said "fruck". So in the grocery store it would be "fruck, fruck, fruck. Fire fruck!!!" oh the looks we got!!!
christinaskids 12:03 PM 01-25-2012
I had one like that and he LOVED his trains. A few days later I figured out he was saying bridge as he was playing haha.
Tags:curse words, disrespectful, inappropriate talk, terrible 2's
Reply Up