Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime Woes
adevonw@yahoo.com 02:15 PM 08-29-2018
Hi!

I have a toddler who refuses to nap at daycare. Not a huge problem but she screams at the top of her lungs. I try to give her books to read on her cot and even quiet toys to play with but she hates having to be still and wants to get up and play. She is only 14 months old. We are a small daycare and undergoing construction right now so we are all in one large room. So none of the other children are napping either and other parents are complaining about cranky children in the evening. Any tips on what we can do? When I do let her up she goes around waking everyone up.
LysesKids 02:29 PM 08-29-2018
Originally Posted by adevonw@yahoo.com:
Hi!

I have a toddler who refuses to nap at daycare. Not a huge problem but she screams at the top of her lungs. I try to give her books to read on her cot and even quiet toys to play with but she hates having to be still and wants to get up and play. She is only 14 months old. We are a small daycare and undergoing construction right now so we are all in one large room. So none of the other children are napping either and other parents are complaining about cranky children in the evening. Any tips on what we can do? When I do let her up she goes around waking everyone up.
My question as a parent would be why are they allowing the daycare (I'm assuming a small center because of how the question was phrased) to be open during construction. Will Licensing even allow this in your state?
Josiegirl 02:08 AM 08-30-2018
Can you put her back in a pack n play? Fourteen mos need naps. Don't give her books or let her up, it sounds like she's learned she'll get her way if allowed to cry enough. Put on some music, and try to ignore. Apologize to other parents and explain it's temporary. Can you sit right beside her and rub her back, will she settle down?

Good luck!!! I have no experience with screaming little ones who cannot be separated at quiet time. I have 2 that I know wouldn't sleep if I put them in with other kids.
amberrose3dg 03:49 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by adevonw@yahoo.com:
Hi!

14months is way too young to go without a nap. You will have to work on sleep training. She may cry but she will eventually settle down.
Rockgirl 04:32 AM 08-30-2018
I’d tuck her in snugly with her blanket, and sit by her cot with your hand on her back. When she gets up, lay her back down and calmly say, “night night.” Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Unregistered 07:49 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
My question as a parent would be why are they allowing the daycare (I'm assuming a small center because of how the question was phrased) to be open during construction. Will Licensing even allow this in your state?
We are in a completely separate part of the building away from construction. The state came in and checked everything and we are in compliance.
Ariana 09:36 AM 08-31-2018
If it is impossible to seperate her I would try and put some sort of blanket or room divider up so she cannot see anyone. Maybe a shelf blocking her view? Right now I have a low shelf blocking one of my toddlers views. Turn the sound machine WAY up, completely ignore her and absolutely no books!! Screaming gets boring after a while without an audience. Might take a few days but she will eventually stop.
Tags:naptime issues, won't sleep
Reply Up