Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Agency Pros and Cons?
CraftyMom 10:00 AM 06-05-2014
Anyone go through an agency for vouchers/subsidized care?

I had a visit today with 2 very nice ladies from a local agency. I'm considering it, for only one spot, the rest will be private unless I'm in a pinch.

What do you find to be the pros and cons?

Here are my pros so far:
-They have a great support staff to assist with just about anything.
-I can fill in a spot when my numbers get low
-They pay $200/year for professional development
-They handle ALL the paperwork on the parent's end
-They handle communicating with the parent on difficult issues
-Monthly visits to check up, and see if I need any assistance

My cons are:
-Monthly visits lol
-I'm thinking a lot of the kids may not be a good fit
-Monthly payment
-Pay is less than my private pay
KiddieCahoots 10:42 AM 06-05-2014
I do!

Think you got most of the pros and cons there.

I do like them filling my slots when I have an opening. I figure some money for the slot is better than nothing......but then it always seems like I start getting the calls just after subsidized has filled it.

The monthly visits are a piece of cake! They don't really monitor you, just kind of visit. And honestly, it doesn't really occur monthly. I like the visits, the adult interaction is nice!

I'll be honest about some of the clientele though, not all are honest citizens trying to improve their situation. A lot are using it to scam the system. So I've had some very inappropriate parents come through my door, expecting me to do it ALL, for nothing, treating me like a subservient. I have no problem with sending those clientele on their way. Make sure you put your foot down to that in the very beginning, otherwise they'll be sending you all the problems nobody else wants....kwim?

Another issue with some of the clientele, a lot of the children are in custody of DCF. Some of these children can be sweet as can be, others have a lot of issues that need to be worked with, and can make for very long days, and revolving doors with EI, and case workers. That you do have the right to decline by the way.
I find some of the children that are in the custody of DCF are more in need of specialized care, but they don't have the resources to put them anywhere but with us.

Don't let what I said scare you though, there are the good too! That's just my take on the down side, seeing you were asking.
CraftyMom 11:14 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I do!

Think you got most of the pros and cons there.

I do like them filling my slots when I have an opening. I figure some money for the slot is better than nothing......but then it always seems like I start getting the calls just after subsidized has filled it.

The monthly visits are a piece of cake! They don't really monitor you, just kind of visit. And honestly, it doesn't really occur monthly. I like the visits, the adult interaction is nice!

I'll be honest about some of the clientele though, not all are honest citizens trying to improve their situation. A lot are using it to scam the system. So I've had some very inappropriate parents come through my door, expecting me to do it ALL, for nothing, treating me like a subservient. I have no problem with sending those clientele on their way. Make sure you put your foot down to that in the very beginning, otherwise they'll be sending you all the problems nobody else wants....kwim?

Another issue with some of the clientele, a lot of the children are in custody of DCF. Some of these children can be sweet as can be, others have a lot of issues that need to be worked with, and can make for very long days, and revolving doors with EI, and case workers. That you do have the right to decline by the way.
I find some of the children that are in the custody of DCF are more in need of specialized care, but they don't have the resources to put them anywhere but with us.

Don't let what I said scare you though, there are the good too! That's just my take on the down side, seeing you were asking.
Thanks, honesty is good!

That's one of the things that has me on the fence is the clientele and not fitting in with my group. I have a really good group right now and I don't want to make any waves!

Of course I can always decline after the interview just like any other new family. And I'll definitely use my 2 week trial period
KiddieCahoots 11:26 AM 06-05-2014
If you terminate with a child, they have you give a two weeks notice with that family/child.
But....if you need that child out quickly, they will work with you. They have with me in the past for difficult situations, whether it's child or family related.
Oh! Don't know if they mentioned it, but in MA, once we accept subsidized, we are Union.
CraftyMom 11:32 AM 06-05-2014
They mentioned it quickly but no details. What is that about?
KiddieCahoots 11:45 AM 06-05-2014
I wish I knew......
So far it's very confusing.
I do know that the Union has increased subsidized rates, that haven't been raised in like 10yrs.
And we don't get to elect if we want to be union. If we accept subsidized, we are union. If we don't actually join the union, we will only be forfeiting our right to vote in up coming polls. So I'm thinking there's really no reason not to join at this point.
We're due for another 3% raise in rates this July? That will equal the whole 10% raise in the past year the Union has been promising. But some are saying that's only going towards the Union dues. Idk?
I'm hoping the Union can work towards getting us 401K's and health insurance.
That might be nice.
Oh! And the reason they didn't mention a lot of the details, is family resources are not allowed to talk about it. I've even been told they can be fined. I have no idea why?
Reply Up