Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Your DC Kids Entertain Themselves?
Shell 11:06 AM 09-29-2014
My ds will wake up from nap, and play quietly until I hear him and come get him- we're not talking a long time, but he can find some entertainment for a little while. Not the young kids at my dc- they wake up and expect instant attention and will scream loudly if they are not immediately picked up and coddled. Older kids will just lay quietly, but I feel like kids don't know how to relax and entertain themselves anymore. I used to be able to walk a book, soft toy, etc over to an awake child so they didn't wake the group. Now, you would think they are being injured they yell so loudly. Anybody else?
daycarediva 11:13 AM 09-29-2014
HA! NO! Not one of them. They ALL require some sort of constant attention/interaction. Sadly- they're all 2-4.5.
nannyde 11:16 AM 09-29-2014
All day every day. Go play toys.
Soccermom 11:35 AM 09-29-2014
My group is pretty good at entertaining themselves during the day but with many of them, it took a lot of training...which sounds ridiculous really but it is the truth. A lot of kids come here not knowing how to just choose a toy and actually play with it.

I spent a good part of last year saying - Go play! About 50 times a day until they finally just gave in and started to play.

At this point, they pretty much just play...well the older kids do anyway...the little ones just play and fight.

As for naps...not one of them can wait a few minutes to get out of bed. I have one DCG who will pee her pants if I don't run in there like a bolt of lighting as soon as she opens her eyes. (And it's not because she needs to go because she only sleeps about an hour and always goes to the washroom right before bed).

The other one sleeps on a cot in a bedroom and will get off the cot and knock on the door constantly until I open it up.
melilley 11:39 AM 09-29-2014
Yes and no. Most days I hardly know any of them are awake unless they make a noise or come to get me, but I'm lucky because all of my kids sleep. I do have one dcg who is 11 mo. She does want to be picked up when she wakes up, but will play quietly or go back to sleep if I rock her. My 1 year old will scream until I go get him and my 1.5 year old is hit or miss on whether or not she will cry when she wakes up. And sometimes ds will wake up crying, but will sometimes just talk. My two 3 year olds take forever to go to sleep, but will lay quietly on their cots and will usually do the same when they wake up.

During free play/outside play, they all play well together or alone, with little interaction from me, except the 11 mo. old, she usually needs my attention, but will mostly play on her own.

I have an 11 month old, 2 that are 1-1.5, 2 that are 2 and two that just turned 3.
melilley 11:42 AM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I have one DCG who will pee her pants if I don't run in there like a bolt of lighting as soon as she opens her eyes. (And it's not because she needs to go because she only sleeps about an hour and always goes to the washroom right before bed).
I have a dcb just like this! He goes to the bathroom right before nap time and only sleeps an hour and is soaking wet when he waked up. He's newly potty trained, except at nap and I refuse to let him go to the bathroom on my carpet so he has to wear a pull up/diaper at nap.
preschoolteacher 11:59 AM 09-29-2014
They screamed when they woke up when they started here, all of them. The new one still does, but it's getting better. Now, a year later, all of the two year olds look at books quietly until I say naptime is over. It's amazing!!
deliberateliterate 12:31 PM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
They screamed when they woke up when they started here, all of them. The new one still does, but it's getting better. Now, a year later, all of the two year olds look at books quietly until I say naptime is over. It's amazing!!
Do you leave books in their cot/playpen to use when they wake up? I have two that nap together and they wake each other up every day with their babbling. When one is away, they sleep close to 3 hours, but together, it's less than 2. They are 2 & 2.5. Neither of them cry upon awakening, they are just loud. I'd gladly put a couple of books with in arms reach if it kept them quiet to let the other sleep.
craftymissbeth 12:42 PM 09-29-2014
I have to remind them to go play pretty often, but they are good at playing alone after I tell them to.

My dcg2 likes to be all up in my business all day, but she never acts upset when I tell her to go play. She kinda makes a look like "oh yeah, duh!" and runs off.
Heidi 12:51 PM 09-29-2014
4 kids. Two are wonderful players during free play, but usually scream their heads off if left in a crib, awake, for more than a minute.

The other two love their beds, wait patiently or giggle at each other after nap, and are TERRIBLE at free-play. They hang on me, push each other, and generally get very dramatic about things.

Dang, maybe I should just start and "all nap" daycare?

THis is another big change I've seen the last few years. Years ago, all my dck's would lay in their beds and "crib talk" upon waking, (and then usually poop..lol). Over the last 3 years, I've seen very little of that.
preschoolteacher 07:20 PM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:
Do you leave books in their cot/playpen to use when they wake up? I have two that nap together and they wake each other up every day with their babbling. When one is away, they sleep close to 3 hours, but together, it's less than 2. They are 2 & 2.5. Neither of them cry upon awakening, they are just loud. I'd gladly put a couple of books with in arms reach if it kept them quiet to let the other sleep.
Yes, definitely. They have their choice of 3-4 books on or near their cot during nap. Board books, so they can survive the occasional cuddle.

We do lots of talk about being quiet and staying on your bed until I say naptime is over. If someone is goofing off (almost never), we all seriously talk about it again.

When nap is over, I come in and announce it happily. Then they are called one by one to come potty/change diapers, and may not get up before then.

I know I'm more strict about nap than anything else. I just can't have them making everyone awake and cranky. Also, I need those fill two hours and am not willing to give it up!

I have a new kid starting in a few weeks. I hope he can do as well. It took my current newbie (now 13 months) about two months to catch on.
preschoolteacher 07:23 PM 09-29-2014
Oh, and I got this idea here. I think from BC. I arrange furniture in the nap rooms so kids cannot see each other if they are lying down as they should be. A train table separates two cots, and I toss a blanket over it to cover the toys and prevent distraction. An arm chair blocks the view the other kids could have of each other.

They could see each other if they got up, but the last hour of nap, I'm on alert for any noise. They don't even wake anymore, but if they did and we're noisy, I'd be in there in one second to get them back in bed quietly.
midaycare 07:33 PM 09-29-2014
Mine are great at entertaining themselves and they are all younger than 2.5. If they don't know how to do it, it had to be taught.
Play Care 03:03 AM 09-30-2014
Oh, and I got this idea here. I think from BC. I arrange furniture in the nap rooms so kids cannot see each other if they are lying down as they should be. A train table separates two cots, and I toss a blanket over it to cover the toys and prevent distraction. An arm chair blocks the view the other kids could have of each other.
I do this as well - not being able to see each other cuts down on a lot of the nonsense. I also use blackout curtains and a small fan to block out the noise of any restless sleepers. I have one new guy (PT one day a week) that woke up the other day and was kicking the play kitchen. I just moved the kitchen a little ways away so he couldn't reach it. My FT kids know better
Blackcat31 05:31 AM 09-30-2014

They could see each other if they got up, but the last hour of nap, I'm on alert for any noise. They don't even wake anymore, but if they did and we're noisy, I'd be in there in one second to get them back in bed quietly.
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I do this as well - not being able to see each other cuts down on a lot of the nonsense. I also use blackout curtains and a small fan to block out the noise of any restless sleepers. I have one new guy (PT one day a week) that woke up the other day and was kicking the play kitchen. I just moved the kitchen a little ways away so he couldn't reach it. My FT kids know better
Works like a charm.

If anyone wakes early, there is not the site of another sleeping child to lure them into trouble..

My kiddos are all great about sleeping and not disturbing others when they wake early, even my oldest toddler (age 18 months) just chit chats quietly to themselves until it's time to get up. Even knows better than to stand in the PNP and remains either laying down or sitting until "wake up".
hope 05:36 AM 09-30-2014
Most of my dcks will play nicely by themselves and together without my lead. The majority of them do not come to me this way. Their parents have carried them around everywhere so they are always in the child's view. I have one 6 month old now that needs to see me at all times and have some noisy toy in her face. It is taking a lot of effort to get her comfortable with laying on the floor to roll over or observe the older kids. She is used to her parents shoving bright lights and alarming toys in her face.
Shell 05:54 AM 09-30-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Most of my dcks will play nicely by themselves and together without my lead. The majority of them do not come to me this way. Their parents have carried them around everywhere so they are always in the child's view. I have one 6 month old now that needs to see me at all times and have some noisy toy in her face. It is taking a lot of effort to get her comfortable with laying on the floor to roll over or observe the older kids. She is used to her parents shoving bright lights and alarming toys in her face.
Yes! This is what the babies are like that have enrolled recently. They all have trouble because they co sleep or are rocked/ in a swing for naps. They freak out about going in a pack n play. So, once we move past that transition, they freak out if not picked up immediately and can't possibly be put in a pack n play, say so I could quickly vacuum the playroom- it's clearly torture They do eventually learn but I am finding more and more kids that cannot entertain themselves.
Luna 05:59 AM 09-30-2014
My crew that just went off to school was great at free play. These new kids I have will need to learn how to play. They need to be in my face, actually blocking my view of the little ones. They want constant direction and feedback. I put a box of duplo in front of a DCG this morning and she just looked at me like I had two heads. She has no idea what to do with them. A 1 year old arrived and now she is just copying him.
I recently attended a workshop where the instructor asked for suggestions for a future workshop. My suggestion will be something like how to help children learn to play on their own. I don't know how she will like that, because she also said she firmly believes if someone is being paid to do the job, the provider needs to be fully engaged with the children the whole time they have them. I need to discuss that with her to clarify "engaged".
Reply Up