Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Care Question
Indoorvoice 11:17 AM 06-30-2015
I have a potential dcf contacting me for part time care. I've really been trying to move to full time care only since I've had a lot of problems with part time kids adjusting well and it being worth the money. I told her I'm only looking for full time clients now. She said she's heard good things about me (yay) and keeps asking me to reconsider and wants to know why I don't take part timers. Is it unprofessional to say that I have found that kids struggle here on a part time schedule and it's hard for me to find another client to fill the remaining days? I feel like that makes it sound like I'm lazy. Is there a better way to tell her why I only want full timers? I would consider letting her come part time if she paid for full time, but I'm also not sure how to word that without sounding greedy. She is friends with one of my clients so she already knows what my rates are. Help me be professional!
mommyneedsadayoff 11:22 AM 06-30-2015
I would say something like, "My full time rate is XX amount of money and I need to make this amount per child in order to run my business efficiently. If you would like to take one of the full time spots, you are welcome to, but the amount is still XX even if you only come 3 days." Or something similar. Personally, I think it is none of her business and if she keeps bugging you about it, maybe she may be difficult to work with???
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would say something like, "My full time rate is XX amount of money and I need to make this amount per child in order to run my business efficiently. If you would like to take one of the full time spots, you are welcome to, but the amount is still XX even if you only come 3 days." Or something similar. Personally, I think it is none of her business and if she keeps bugging you about it, maybe she may be difficult to work with???
I agree and although I do kind of think it is her (potential DCM) business, I feel it is kind of pushy for her to continue asking you to reconsider.

I would also explain to her that part time children do not always adjust well and often feel left out as you have planned activities going on everyday.

You could also tell her you DO have a space available but its full time only and if she'd like to take it she can. Just keep repeating that its a full time space available only.
Controlled Chaos 12:31 PM 06-30-2015
I had an awesome family have their last day today. DCG was half days 3 days a week. I have decided half days don't work for me. I gave them the option to switch to full days, they thought it over and decided to find somewhere that caters to 1/2 day care. I tell potential clients that call "I tried half day care and discovered that business model doesn't work for me. You are welcome to pay for a full day spot and only use part of it."
AmyKidsCo 01:59 PM 06-30-2015
I don't think it's unprofessional at all! It's a fact that it's hard to find children to fit around a part time slot, and being concerned about the child having a hard time adjusting is putting the child's wellbeing first.

Is there any situation where you'd consider part time? My PT rate is set that 3 days = 1 FT week, so for me it's worth enrolling a PT child for just 3 days. It has to be the same days all the time and they pay even if the child doesn't attend.
Shell 02:17 PM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't think it's unprofessional at all! It's a fact that it's hard to find children to fit around a part time slot, and being concerned about the child having a hard time adjusting is putting the child's wellbeing first.

Is there any situation where you'd consider part time? My PT rate is set that 3 days = 1 FT week, so for me it's worth enrolling a PT child for just 3 days. It has to be the same days all the time and they pay even if the child doesn't attend.

Indoorvoice 04:44 PM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I currently have my part time rate set at $33 per day and my full time set at $30 per day. I have found that even with the higher rate, it still doesn't seem worth the hassle for me, yet parents in my area are scared away by that price! I don't know how other daycares are getting away with going any lower than that, but it seems most are charging the same price per day no matter how many days you use. They are also charging based on attendance. I don't know how they make money.
Reply Up