Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time DCK, how long of an adjustment period?
Unregistered 12:35 PM 04-29-2015
Hey there!

I just took on a 2.5 year old boy for only one full day per week. The first day I had him, he literally had a screaming tantrum for 2.5-3 hours straight. He spent most of that time trying to escape out of the front door. The rest of the day was spent with him whining and being unhappy.

I realize that this may be a somewhat normal reaction to the first day of daycare. But I have never had a kid scream bloody murder for that long.

My concern is that he may have a very hard time warming up to us because he is only coming one day per week. I just don't know how long the other daycare kids and I will be able to tolerate the prolonged screaming.

How do you normally handle this sort of thing? How many weeks would you give the kid to adjust before terming?
Unregistered 10:22 AM 04-30-2015
Wow you all, thanks for all of the advice!
childcaremom 10:30 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hey there!

I just took on a 2.5 year old boy for only one full day per week. The first day I had him, he literally had a screaming tantrum for 2.5-3 hours straight. He spent most of that time trying to escape out of the front door. The rest of the day was spent with him whining and being unhappy.

I realize that this may be a somewhat normal reaction to the first day of daycare. But I have never had a kid scream bloody murder for that long.

My concern is that he may have a very hard time warming up to us because he is only coming one day per week. I just don't know how long the other daycare kids and I will be able to tolerate the prolonged screaming.

How do you normally handle this sort of thing? How many weeks would you give the kid to adjust before terming?
I had a PT dcg, 18 months, only enrolled for 2 days/week, cry off and on the entire first day. Second day, she did again. I called mom for early pick up and termed that day. She wasn't ready for group care and I couldn't take it anymore. Mom was agreeable to trying when she got a bit older.
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wow you all, thanks for all of the advice!
I had some advice but not any more.
Tags:adjustment period
Reply Up