Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>cat
SquirrellyMama 09:51 AM 05-14-2015
We'll be needing to put our beloved 18 year old cat down soon. I plan on doing it on a weekend so I won't need to deal with daycare that day.

Would you have the dcks say goodbye to the cat before they leave for the weekend so they are prepared for Monday? The parents know so they'll be able to talk with their kids also.

Kelly
Blackcat31 09:56 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
We'll be needing to put our beloved 18 year old cat down soon. I plan on doing it on a weekend so I won't need to deal with daycare that day.

Would you have the dcks say goodbye to the cat before they leave for the weekend so they are prepared for Monday? The parents know so they'll be able to talk with their kids also.

Kelly
First, as a cat lover...I am so sorry.

Secondly if your cat was an integral part of your program and spent time with the DCK's then yes I would allow them to say goodbye and let parents know.

I'd probably let the parents know first in case one of them doesn't want you to have that conversation with their child....kwim?
daycarediva 11:43 AM 05-14-2015
I would have a special day for them to say goodbye. Maybe make a cat friendly treat (like tuna) to share together, give kitty extra pets if possible and make kitty a card before she crosses rainbow bridge.

I am a cat lover, and I am so sorry. It is so hard.
butterfly 12:03 PM 05-14-2015
so sorry!
AmyKidsCo 01:01 PM 05-14-2015
I'm so sorry.
Unregistered 01:08 PM 05-14-2015
We had an emergency with our baby (who looks like your profile pic BC) on a Sunday. The kids knew she was sick (heart disease). My dcf's knew It was going to happen a some point... she had a clot in her leg that healed then it happened again. Most of my dck's have had relatives and animals die.
daycare 01:09 PM 05-14-2015
My cats are my babies. I wouldn't tell them unless they are always interacting with him/her. No need to upset them if they won't notice.
SquirrellyMama 01:40 PM 05-14-2015
They interact with the cats all day long. I'll make sure I give parents advanced warning so they can discuss it ahead of time.

Kelly
daycare 02:05 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
They interact with the cats all day long. I'll make sure I give parents advanced warning so they can discuss it ahead of time.

Kelly
Years ago when we lost our cat and knew he was going to die I just told the kids. It's time for mr winks to go to heaven to sleep. He won't be back and left it at that.

While we may be having a hard time with it, the kids and parents probably aren't.

I cried for two weeks when. My cat died...
Josiegirl 03:23 PM 05-14-2015
Awww, I'm sorry.
I would keep it short and try to say it in terms young children might accept.
Reply Up