Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help. Obvious on The Spectrum 4 Year Old And Denier Parents
Unregistered 06:01 AM 05-15-2019
I've had this 4year old in my care since he was 9 months old. As of now he is nonverbal (mostly dinosaur growls and whines) can follow simple commands (like go get your shoes or cup) hes obsessive with toys (melts down if someone has one of his favorite daycare toys) cannot take bites (hell shove an entire nugget or whatever uncut food and eat it whole, often choking) he lines up toys, tears and flaps paper and has this thing where he kisses anyone anywhere (leg, exposed foot etc)

Hes always been a good bit behind developmentally, which I have brought up to the parents multiple times over the years. My son is also the same age and of normal development so they see that he isn't where he should be. The mother is a middle school teacher and is just super defensive and stand off like any time I bring anything up. Seriously anything other than it was a great day.

Like tearing books has been an issue. Hell tear a page and flap it a few times around the room and then go back to tear more. I've brought this up with her and she said I should just move the books out of the room. My home is my daycare and these are my sons books in HIS room. She said all they have for him is board books. Hes 4 years old!!
I know their pediatrician suggested the boy get evaluated and she posted on Facebook looking for new pediatrician recommendations.

My reason for writing this today is because yesterday he took off running from me in the yard. He didnt get all the way to the road but still I had to leave the other 4 children in my care behind to go and grab him all the while hes laughing because he thinks it's a game.
I'm just at my wits end. Hes so much harder to watch now than hes ever has been and its showing to be a real liability. With the parents there is absolutely no support. I've asked both parents to pick up today so we can have a talk about it. Help me!!
Tags:4 year old, asq, autism spectrum disorder, denial, developmental - support, developmental screening, parent - cant handle truth, stimming, terminate - disrespect
Up