Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking To Add A "Dress Up" Area/Bin...Please Any Ideas?
ninosqueridos 07:49 AM 03-25-2011
My group is mostly 2's and 3's right now, and I'd love to add a little nook for dress-up or possibly just put out a big bin of stuff once in awhile. I think they'd LOVE career costume type things and girly princess stuff, but the ones on Discount School Suppy (for example) are SO expensive!

What do you guys do for dressup things? Thanks!!
heyhun77 07:55 AM 03-25-2011
I have tons of dresss up clothes. Some are from catalogs but most are recycled halloween costumes, ethnic clothing, and then just regular stuff like shoes, coats, etc. They love the catalog buys but they typically play with the normal every day stuff more often and longer.
Zoe 08:30 AM 03-25-2011
I raided my childhood closet in my parents house. It was filled with scarves, fancy hats, dresses, etc. Then I asked everyone I knew if they had old clothes that they could donate. I've gotten shoes and old costumes from them. Any of my own kids' Halloween costumes that are too small go into the bin (with their permission of course.) I raid the WalMart and Target aisles the week after Halloween.

I had a white dress that after I washed it once, looked awful on me so I put it into the bin. It's now a "wedding dress." I don't have any area set aside for a dress up corner or cubby, so the bin works well. I just make sure that when the kids are putting them away that they put the shoes and hats on top.
daycare 08:30 AM 03-25-2011
I built my box from items purchased at the goodwill and yard sales. I also bought some items after Halloween from the local retail stores. The Halloween items were 80% off so I spent like $2-4.00 on a whole costume.

I think the only issue that I had, was that a lot of the boy costumes seemed violent. They had guns, swords, ninjas, and so on.

I bought some cute derby style hats, neck ties, vest, and a small doctor bag. The boys use these for several different dress up characters.

Even though some of the dads get mad, the boys like to dress up in the fairy wings or butterfuly wings. I just let all of the kids have at it and let them get creative.
Childminder 08:32 AM 03-25-2011
I was blessed by a donation of about 20 halloween costumes and by picking up stuff at garage sales. Another thing that I just recently did was a High Scope Learning Program recommendation and stocked my dramatic play area with "real" stuff. I went through closets and to the Salvation Army Thrift stores and stocked up on; small suits, shoes, dresses, scarves(a favorite),hats, iron, toaster, coffee pot, small ironing board, pans, purses...etc... cheap and it's played with all the time.
e.j. 08:36 AM 03-25-2011
Some of the kids' favorite dress-ups are Easter/Christmas dresses that I bought after the holidays when they were on sale or clearance. I bought size 6 dresses because on the younger kids, they fit well over clothing and the length makes them feel like princess gowns to them. I've also been able to find things like fireman and construction hats at Target in their $1 section at the front of the store.
SilverSabre25 08:42 AM 03-25-2011
"real stuff" is a big hit here, as well--grown up shoes, grown up hats, fancy gloves, chunky costume jewlery, long strings of "pearls", etc.

Thrift Stores, clearance racks, etc, are all good places to look. I like having the clothes be MUCH larger than the kids, so I don't have to worry about things fitting.
DCMom 08:50 AM 03-25-2011
Thrift stores, garage sales and clearance racks after halloween is how I fill my dress up bin. Just last night I got two flower girl dresses at the thrift store for $7.50/each. Kind of expensive but very well made so they should stand up to the use Also a great place to get dance costumes, hats, purses, scarves, jewelry, belts and just funky stuff that the kids love to put on.

What my kids play with the most from the dress up bin are remnant pieces of fabric and giant scarves that they tie/drape around/on themselves in a multitude of ways.

I love dress up clothes; kids have so much fun with them and it really sparks their imagination
ninosqueridos 09:22 AM 03-25-2011
WOW All great ideas!!!!!!! I am definitely going to check out a big thrift store I know of that I've never been to...as well as garage sales and sales after halloween. I really never go "garage sale" hunting but I may have to convince my DH to watch the kids so I can go......maybe showing him the prices of catalog costumes will help

THANK YOU!!

Do you leave your things accessible or bring a bin out once in awhile?? I have 1's as well but no infants right now.
E Daycare 09:22 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I've also been able to find things like fireman and construction hats at Target in their $1 section at the front of the store.
I was gonna say the same thing! Just bought some St Pattys day hats, bunny ears, bug masks and sunglasses too. I love that area!
ninosqueridos 09:24 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I was gonna say the same thing! Just bought some St Pattys day hats, bunny ears, bug masks and sunglasses too. I love that area!
target is a dangerous place but will have to try to keep blinders on and just stay in the $1 section and look around for stuff
E Daycare 09:41 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
target is a dangerous place but will have to try to keep blinders on and just stay in the $1 section and look around for stuff
I know right! Off topic I know but mine had pots and strawberry seeds and stuff so I bought those to plant and give for Mothers Day. Im gonna get some colored contact paper and cut out hand prints to put on the pots so this way it can be a gift from the kids. Also got a lot of stuff for dck easter baskets. Stupid dollar area turns into a $30 trip for me. LMAO
daycare 09:53 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I know right! Off topic I know but mine had pots and strawberry seeds and stuff so I bought those to plant and give for Mothers Day. Im gonna get some colored contact paper and cut out hand prints to put on the pots so this way it can be a gift from the kids. Also got a lot of stuff for dck easter baskets. Stupid dollar area turns into a $30 trip for me. LMAO
I found that the day after and a few days following that they put all of the holiday items on clearance..... like $.50-.25 cents.... Those are the days that I always get up early and go.....lol
AnythingsPossible 10:06 AM 03-25-2011
This was in my inbox this morning...awesome dress up area organization.
http://www.thepickyapple.com/blog/20...Picky+Apple%29
WImom 10:15 AM 03-25-2011
Target has hats, purses and eastery type dress up stuff in the dollar area right now. I'd also try ebay and garage sales.
gkids09 11:13 AM 03-25-2011
I have a laundry rack and child size plastic hangers. The laundry rack is the metal and black from Wal-Mart that adjusts about to head height of most of the kids here.

It's pretty sturdy (used for laundry, after all...), and the kids haven't been able to destroy it yet.

I am required to have the dress up clothes hanging up like that so the kids can see what is available. They aren't supposed to be separated by gender either, which wouldn't make any difference since most of the boys here love pink and wear the dresses more than the girls...

I have gotten my dress up clothes from lots of different places...Wal-Mart's Halloween clearance is best, but I've also gotten some donated (not in great condition, but good enough to last a few months anyway!), and have bought some from thrift stores.

Just regular clothes are the favorites here. I have a button up shirt that's kid-sized from a thrift store, and they LOVE it.

I have scarves, hats, gloves, dresses, sweaters, vests, jerseys, etc, and they wear it all.
JenNJ 12:47 PM 03-25-2011
I made a ton of tutus. Super easy, no sew methods are available online. I also had a dcm donate a few well made hand made knights costumes for the boys. I am going to copy her style and make some firefighter, doctor/nurse, and police uniforms as well. I find hand made to be better quality and fabric is super cheap.
Greenshadow 07:17 PM 03-25-2011
I bought an old trunk at the Goodwill and stocked it full of halloween costumes as well as "real" clothes too, like hats and scarves and shoes! The trunk has a lock on it to keep it open while they're playing in it and when they're done, I just close it up! It doesnt take up much space and is easy to clean up without having to arrange everything and hang it up somewhere!
daycare 07:47 PM 03-25-2011
I do the same thing. We have ours in two extra large totes. I used to organize it but I would always find myself spending too much time trying to keep it that way. It was too hard for the kids to hang the stuff up, so we just neatly place the stuff in the totes.
Tags:bins, dress up area, nook
Reply Up