Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Motor Skills Activity
Terre 09:28 AM 08-06-2013
I use "sticky yarn," a simple yarn and glue combo for an inexpensive and fun way to incorporate motor skills into lessons.

What are you all doing to incorporate motor skills into your lesson plans? I'm always looking for new things to keep it fresh.

Not my picture..

Familycare71 10:44 AM 08-06-2013
I like it! I am bad at figuring this stuff out so I will def use this
MsLaura529 10:51 AM 08-06-2013
Do you just put glue on the yarn and let it dry? Or do they use it while the yarn is wet with glue? I guess that would be how it would be sticky, huh? Haha.

That's a neat idea, but I have a couple kids here who absolutely hate getting glue on their hands when they're doing projects...
Terre 11:14 AM 08-06-2013
I have them outline the number or letter in glue first. Then using their fine motor skills ( ) they place the colored yarn over it..

If you want to avoid glue, you can use yarn dipped in paint. If you press it down it will stick to the paper.. Of course, this is whole different type of mess!
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 08-06-2013
Cool idea!

I do something similar for shapes and letters/numbers but we use Wikki Stix.

They look like pipe cleaners but they are flexible and sticky......NO MESS.

http://www.wikkistix.com/what_are_wikkistix.php
Terre 01:52 PM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

http://www.wikkistix.com/what_are_wikkistix.php
Those are perfect! Thanks for sharing.
iluvlearning 09:52 AM 08-28-2013
Another fun way to build small motor skills is to have children put pipe cleaners/chenille stems in and out of the holes in a plastic strainer (turned upside down). Keeps little ones busy for a LONG time!
melilley 09:57 AM 08-28-2013
Awesome idea, though most of my kids are young and would probably eat the glue and yarn..lol
Another idea using contact paper and cotton balls. Put the contact paper sticky side up and tape it to the table. Put out cotton balls and let them stick and unstick them to the contact paper. It leaves a trail of cotton every time they lift it up. I do this in the winter and say we made "snow" and tape it on the wall.
melilley 09:58 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by iluvlearning:
Another fun way to build small motor skills is to have children put pipe cleaners/chenille stems in and out of the holes in a plastic strainer (turned upside down). Keeps little ones busy for a LONG time!
oooh good idea!
Tags:craft ideas - toddlers, motor skills
Reply Up