Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do To Make It Through?
daycare 11:49 AM 06-09-2011
This week I have to say has been the worst week of DC in all my years. Too much to vent about, but I am feeling so low, disrespected, burnt out, stressed and walked on by both the parents and the kids.

I have never said I don't want to do this any more, I can't stand this, or even anything close to this ever........that is until this week.

What do you ladies do to make it through tough times. I feel like I am trying to row with a missing ore.......................ugh
Sunshine44 11:52 AM 06-09-2011
Hugs! I think we have all been there before. For me, I go through cycles. I have really bad times and then really great times. I think finding a support system, close friends and some time for yourself can help you. Also, getting your parents and children under control is a must. YOu will feel better after you let go of the 'wrong' ones.
cheerfuldom 11:53 AM 06-09-2011
I have been there. I just hang on for dear life and plan something fun for the weekend. Just take it one step at a time.
daycare 11:56 AM 06-09-2011
im not a big drinker, but an ice cold beer sounds good about now........just have 6 hours to wait.....lol
TBird 12:44 PM 06-09-2011
I'm with these ladies....hang on for dear life....look forward to the weekend....drink one to two Smirnoff Ice a night and call me in the morning!!!
wdmmom 12:50 PM 06-09-2011
Here, here! I had issues with the dck's being naughty, disrespectful, being mean, not following the rules and throwing toys.

It's the first week my own kids have been home from school and oddly enough, I haven't had a problem with them!

I think they did a little role reversal!
SimpleMom 12:53 PM 06-09-2011
agreed. hang in there. find anything positive---even if you have to really dig it up
i go through cycles as well. i change up routine, keep things low-key, write up new policies if i feel walked all over
i drink Coke, so i grab a cold soda, m&m's or choc. chips. a warm bath, exersize. things like that.
*hugs*
Mom_of_two 01:00 PM 06-09-2011
Hang in there!! I am having a difficult week, too. I know there are ups and downs. Ready to recharge this weekend, for sure!
Christian Mother 01:12 PM 06-09-2011
Sorry girlie that your having a rough week. Fri. is just right around the corner. I find checking in on here when I am having a rough day or week helps me to be honest. Even planning on something fun helps motivate me into having a better week. Time to take a vacation. I seemed to be having a bad day once a week bc of one family but now that they are no longer in my care I have been having a really good week. It's weird how one family can really play into how your day goes. It isn't really the kids. Although I've had bad day with kids when all they want to do is fight amongst them selves or don't want to listen. I find I can handle that but when I am being disrespected by a parent it stays with me and festers and start to take over. I hope you feel better really soon!!
spud912 01:23 PM 06-09-2011
My problem is with my own child (the oldest). I wish I could blame the parents for her bad behavior
daycare 01:25 PM 06-09-2011
thanks guys...

I have never really experienced this before. I can usually do the fake it until you make it......but its not working this time.

I try to find the light in everything, but sometimes people just push too far. I know that I am letting it all get to me and I guess maybe that is what is really bothering me. I don't know why.

T-Bird drink one to two Smirnoff Ice....great advice....... I will have to just find a time to break away and relax this weekend. I feel a lot of stress from my family right now and just getting over one of the worst sinus infections Ive ever had.

So happy to know I can vent and relate to people here.............thanks a million
AmandasFCC 01:33 PM 06-09-2011
I've been hearing people are really screwy this week - dunno why. My MIL is a teacher and she's been saying the kids are totally messed up. My dd is a force to be reckoned with this week (she's 2 and I totally cleaned her room out today. If you can't listen and behave like a nice girl, then you don't deserve toys), my dcks have been really bizarre all week, getting strange calls from licensing, parents are out of whack, even my dog is acting really strangely. There must be some weird gravitational pull happening or something cuz this week has been a total write-off for me too ...

Try to cheer up. Take it easy, do things for the rest of the week that require little effort on your part .... I like throwing a bunch of glue and random art supplies on the table and letting the kids have at 'er and just stand back and drink coffee on those days lol.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:39 PM 06-09-2011
My mom says there is a shift in the energy of the universe! Um ok! I'll take any excuse! My own kids and all of DCK have been royal terds this week. So judging by the way y'all are comparing stories, I will have to agree with my mom!

My neighbour who also runs a dayhome is having the same problems too! Maybe we should switch kids!
boysx5 02:39 AM 06-10-2011
I count the days down to something fun I have planned and it gets me through also at the end of a bad day I go out and take some me time.
Kaddidle Care 04:12 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
Try to cheer up. Take it easy, do things for the rest of the week that require little effort on your part .... I like throwing a bunch of glue and random art supplies on the table and letting the kids have at 'er and just stand back and drink coffee on those days lol.
Thanks for the idea! Interesting that you posted that yesterday. Yesterday was a horrid day and it wasn't just in my class. The Director kept asking me if it was a full moon or something.

I think it's just the end-of-the-year-crazies. The kids know it's pool time, summer time and they are ready for the fun!

Time to pull out something new for them to get into. Get out those watercolor paints (my favorite - easy clean up), maybe a new toy or an old one that's been away for a while. Toy rotation is a must!

OK - I've given myself some good advice!
DCMom 04:45 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I like throwing a bunch of glue and random art supplies on the table and letting the kids have at 'er and just stand back and drink coffee on those days lol.
Big blankets. a bag of clothes pins and the dining room table and chairs work pretty good too! My kids love me to build them forts. If school aged kids are involved, put them on the task.

Definately start of summer crazies! It will get better, tgif!
PitterPatter 07:26 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
This week I have to say has been the worst week of DC in all my years. Too much to vent about, but I am feeling so low, disrespected, burnt out, stressed and walked on by both the parents and the kids.

I have never said I don't want to do this any more, I can't stand this, or even anything close to this ever........that is until this week.

What do you ladies do to make it through tough times. I feel like I am trying to row with a missing ore.......................ugh
I hope u have a better day today! Remember it's Friday u are alomost done!

As for dealing with disrespectful parents I took the advise given from u ladies a while ago and finally termed 1 this week! It's really gonna hurt my finances but I just couldn't take the BS anymore. I would rather struggle with finances then lose my self respect and go insane.

As for the kids when they are just out of hand with disrespect I do a group time out and have them calm down and go over each rule having them repeat it. I don't get too much group disrespect these days. I set my rules to a song and they sing it every morning at circle time so I think it got pounded into their little minds.

When the kids are just too hyper I try to get them outside as long as possible let them burn it off, tire them out. If nothing else I think it's ok to put in a video, even a long one if need be. We have to keep our sanity and stay sharp mentally for these kids so if that means dropping the routine for a video once in a while then so be it! Sit back and relax with an iced tea and take a few well deserved minutes for yourself.

Don't foget to make time for yourself in the evening. I know I feel like a hypocrite saying that because I don't have time for myself but I am open into the evening. Take a bubble bath and watch a good movie. Hope u feel better!
Mike Lassiter 03:29 PM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
My problem is with my own child (the oldest). I wish I could blame the parents for her bad behavior
Just go into the bathroom, look in the mirror and tell her what you think!
When you are done you will feel much better; and the "parent" will know exactly what needs to change!

Lmao!

And now seriously, I have done this myself and although I already knew what I did or didn't do to provoke me to be that upset with myself the truth is after feeling silly about talking to myself in the mirror; I did feel better because I got off my chest what was bothering me by transferring my feelings to me in the mirror. He is me, yes but when we face each other it becomes me and the man in the mirror. I beat myself up a lot for many different reasons. It is hard to require very high standards of ones self then not live up to your own expectations. If I couldn't sometimes take those frustrations out on the man in the mirror I expect I truly would hate me for letting myself down so often.
Mike Lassiter 04:02 PM 06-10-2011
Another thought.
Some suggest having a drink (or maybe a few drinks) to help ease the pain. I drank before and did just that. First wife caused it daily as she replaced me and fell in love with another while I worked day and night. I drank trying to numb myself. I realize this isn't the same thing but drinking NEVER helped FIX the problems it just temporarily numbed me that I could cope. Until the next morning when the problems where still there.
Everyone blamed the drinking being the cause of our marriage problems when in fact the problems were causing the drinking. I quit drinking completely early 1994 and although life has almost destroyed me a couple of times I stayed faithful and sober.
Friends have tried to "persuade" me to drink with them; you know if you are my friend you'll take a drink with me".
The devil was testing me, and I held fast. I don't condemn people who drink for drinking (I did it) but there are NO solutions in the can or bottle.
If you feel compelled to have a drink thinking that will makes things better I assure you it will not.
Tags:burnt out, disrespect, stressed, vent
Reply Up